P51-B Mustang.

Scottie

So after my latest re-designed Piper Cherokee

http://flitetest.com/articles/piper-cherokee-build-log

and feeling I have found my build style now,I have decided too go back too my P51-B

http://flitetest.com/articles/p51-b-mustang-build

and re-design it using my new design process.
Now before I get too far ahead of myself here,a quick word on the Cherokee,just in case anyone asks.Yes I have ran taxi tests but not had a full maiden,weather hasn't been preferable thus far and when it has,I've not been able to try :( ...... annoying doesn't cover it !!

Anyway,I decided to do something which I generally don't do,this build is a prototype to test and tweek the build process,to make adjustments as I build and to figure out the skin process.All these adjustments are updated in Sketchup as I find and make them.
That being said,I don't normally publish any of this but this time I thought it may be interesting for some to see how I design and build my models.

Specifications

Wingspan
1120mm

Length
960mm

Weight
TBA but definately heavy !​

SO the concept has tp come from somewhere and generally it's a 3 view or a good set of plans/drawings.In this case its a set of plans found on the good ol internet :) From there its into Shetchup and several hours if not days later,I come up with this.........

P51B new design render 1.jpg P51B new designrender2.jpg P51B new designrender3.jpg P51B new designrender4.jpg

I mentioned 'my build style' well to clarify what that is,basically my builds are aimed at a more scale appearance and for a more advanced builder.Think along the lines of a balsa build and you're getting the idea.I think the whole powerpod concept is a great idea but it causes so many problems from a design view.Obviously in a design there are requirements which need to be met,battery access and placement is the biggest one I think,so to overcome this,I decided a new approach was called for,certainly from the standard battery access of shall we say a traditional FB build.
The thing is,using foam board as a material,it doesn't stand up well to things sch as a removable hatch.
My solution ,which I first showed in my Piper Cherokee build is an adjustable battery box which is accessed from the wing seat.
P51B new designbatterybox.jpg P51B new designbatterybox2.jpg P51B new designbatterybox3.jpg

Im not one to blow my own trumpet but I'm pretty pleased with this concept,it sets the basis of all my builds,all designs and concepts are built around this.So onto the good stuff,I think I have finally figured out the whole producing plans malarky !! I use Sketchup firstly then import into Gimp2 as a PNG,use Gimp2 to size the drawings then save and export as a PDF.seems to work....
IMG_20160830_201553.jpg

The observant of you may notice I print formers and smaller parts onto an A4 print,it's so much easier to work with .

Anyway,thats a start......more to follow.

Scottie

ranger351

Warbird Crazy!
Subscribed! Can't wait for more! I'm always looking for plans for more scale looking balsa style build with DTFB!