Paint Job

Steve Barlow

Hi All, new to Flight test , but love the way these planes are built. Live in the UK and just ordered a simple stick . Just wondering what is the best type of paint you guys use on the foam board?
thanks all
steve

The Fopster

Master member
I use Plastikote brand aerosols from Hobbycraft. If you spray too close to the foam it eats the foam, but spray carefully and paint some wood glue on exposed foam surfaces before spraying and it works fine. Here's a few photos of planes painted this way as proof - good luck!
IMG_20210715_182305447.jpg
IMG_20210625_181931416~2.jpg
IMG_20210607_195934578_HDR.jpg

Steve Barlow

kilroy07

Legendary member
If you can find Krylon Fusion (all in one) it doesn't attack the foam nearly as much (if at all) as other paints I have tried.
IMG_7187.JPG
IMG_7176.JPG

Last edited:

Steve Barlow

If you can find Krylon Fusion (all in one) it doesn't attack the foam nearly as much (if at all) as other paints I have tried.
Thanks for that.I am just getting into this foam board construction rather than balsa after getting a couple of dodgy Chinese kits that to be honest were rubbish to use nice language
I am impressed with what can be done with this material
Thanks once again for info and I will search for this paint
Steve

bwarz

Master member
If you use the FT waterproof stuff, a quick brush down with steel wool and a decent can of spray (I use Krylon and Rust-Oleum 2X). I've been building with DTFB which benefits big from a coating of polyurethane (not water-based) first before paint. I've heard if you are light-handed with a few very light coats to start and you can skip the poly. I prefer to use poly as it adds some strength and also a good amount of waterproofing, but it comes with the price of increased weight. Just remember to hot glue all of your edges as well to improve the waterproofing. (Somehow I keep forgetting one area or another and I invariably get a separation of paper and foam. Last time I freaking forgot to hot glue the rudder joint and the blasted vertical peeled mostly off!)

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
....what is the best type of paint.....
There are several alternatives to paint.

I use colored packing tape (not duck tape). Clear packing tape is available almost everywhere, a mil or 2 thick. Colored packing tape is available through Tape Planet and Hobby King

Others have used wing skins. They Take the design to an office supply center or other print shop and have it printed out on a large format printer, on paper or vinyl. Then apply it to the foam prior to cutting out the plane.

Last edited: