Paint vs Tape

zjguy721

What are the pros and cons of each? Is taking the time to paint worth it? Is taping pretty primitive or does it look alright? Performance issues?

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Weight versus time. tape is easy and fast but can add weight. paint can be light but prep and application can be time consuming

Bolvon72

Mentor
Here are a few examples of planes I have completely taped. One of which is just clear packing tape to protect the design. I use tape from tapebrothers.com which is very light and adheres well. I have painted and have never been happy with the results, mind you I have just used spray cans, not airbrushing. It's all preference.

The completely taped planes are so durable I have yet to damage one to make it unflyable. All my painted planes have come apart much quicker. The downside is you can't really pull of a warbird paintjob with tape. 1218131339.jpg 2013-03-07 22.25.18.jpg 2013-04-28-12-07-57.jpg 0402131911a.jpg

Last edited:

NewZee

I've used both with good results!

Cub painted
cub 5(4).JPG

Funder and Lighting painted
FnL1b.jpg

Devil dog Tapped
DD2.jpg

My planes don't look good for too long!

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
I would say that the tape would have the upside of being fast and reinforcing, at the cost of weight... paint may not last as long due to fading and scratches, but is much lighter, although it still adds some weight

Some lovely examples you guys have posted!

zjguy721

I'm thinking of tape just because its more durable and will reinforce the foam. Is there any trick to it other than common sense?

Tactical Ex

I'm thinking of tape just because its more durable and will reinforce the foam. Is there any trick to it other than common sense?

It depends what common sense you have! We can always learn more.

Some things I like to consider when taping is...

1. Reducing the amount of weight due to overlap. I try not to overlap tape by more than 5mm.
2. Overlap direction. Add tape from the back to the front so that the air flow doesn't catch the edge and lift the tape off.
3. Even application. make sure the same amount of tape is on each side of the plane.
4. Cut with a strait edge rather than a toothed edge. It looks better and is less likely to peel.
5. If you want to pinch your weight pennies then keep the expended roll and subtract it's weight from the weight of the full roll then do the math to apply weight per in, ft, cm, etc and you can calculate EXACTLY how much weight the tape will add.
6. Clean the surface. Not only is dog hair unattractive on a plane, it (as well as any dust or dirt) will reduce the hold the tape has on the plane and will make it easier to delaminate.

crash bandicoot

Also, half the fun I have is finding real paint jobs from planes. The Viggen, Spitfire, and Sea Dart all have historically correct paint schemes with an interesting story behind each one.

Bolvon72

Mentor
@Bolvon72, how do you like the bloody wonder with rudder?

It gives a whole new dynamic to the plane. The big double rudder gives so much yaw authority that, with a little back pressure, it will turn in it's own space. I have one without rudders and a fast motor but I get so much more enjoyment out of running the Rudder Wonder through it's paces I rarely fly that other one.

The yellow Wonder was standard at first, when I came up with the rudder idea I just cut the old stabilizers away and added the ruddered ones. It was a quick alteration.