• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Painting Question

Getting ready to build the P-40 and I have a paint question. I will not be using landing gear and therefore will be belly landing. The plane will be made from DTFB. I have seen forum posts stating that people are putting minwax/acrylic sealer on the DTFB before painting. Has anyone used this after painting to protect the paint job? Any success? What else can be used to protect the paint job?

I've tried both before and after and I've found a few different successes. By far the easiest is just hitting it with two coats of clear-coat (I use valspar). But I have had good luck with ezdope sponged over paint. It'll give a mat finish but still looks good if you dilute it right. One thing I plan on trying with my Guinea Pig MK3 is fiberglass resin. I don't have any results yet but I'll post it once I test a piece.

kilroy07

When I minwaxed my Mustang I noticed a yellow tinge over the white areas. She was decked out as Miss America, It doesn't show much in pictures, but I saw it... so a slight color shift might occur if you minwax after.

I was going to try just a clear coat once I get my Storch all painted up... (which I should go do rather than hanging out here, HUH?!) :LOL: