Patrick's Paint Shop - a place for plane painting projects

danbob

Hey all this is my MS Spitfire
WP_20160727_004.jpg
WP_20160727_009.jpg

Yusernaym

20201008_152125_HDR.jpg

Here's how I've been painting my planes lately. I like the look of this Krylon pink, but I have to recommend you all stay away from it for stuff that'll be stored inside. I like to hang my planes on my bedroom wall, but that isn't happening anytime soon with the two on the right. They're still giving off fumes over a week after painting, and live in the garage until the smell goes away, if it ever does. What are some recommendations for spray paint that won't add a lot of weight and will dry enough to be stored inside? I just maidened my new X-29, which I absolutely love, but it needs some color.
20201015_132239_HDR.jpg

Suggestions would be appreciated

That's odd - I prefer Krylon spray paint and I don't have issues about fumes. I guess I haven't tried to sleep with my planes! Give em a couple more days, it'll be fine. In fact, if like me you like Krylon over Rustoleum for all the other reasons, a week in the garage is a small price to pay.

Yusernaym

I'm sure it's fine, but there really isn't anything about it that I like over the other brands I've tried. It also took a fairly thick coat to get solid coverage, so I'll be going with something else in hopes of saving weight and avoiding fumes.

I'm sure it's fine, but there really isn't anything about it that I like over the other brands I've tried. It also took a fairly thick coat to get solid coverage, so I'll be going with something else in hopes of saving weight and avoiding fumes.

You're likely aware of this - Rustoleum is the favorite around here, so you could try that.
From experience the smell's different but I can't tell you how long it lasts. I can tell you Krylon dries to the touch very quickly but Rustoleum seems to take longer to be able to handle. I've found Rustoleum even two days later is still - not exactly tacky, \but it still has a sort of "grab" to the touch. That suggests to me that Rustoleum is a sort of gummy cure on a molecular level, while Krylon cures to just a very hard surface, like epoxy.

None of that solves your fumes issue! Sorry I can't answer that.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
You might try thin coats next time, just to see if it helps.
I have been airbrush painting polycarbonate RC car bodies for many years, and noticed some colors having excessive fumes for many days after painting. I eventually discovered that spraying much thinner coats would greatly reduce the lingering fumes. And, be aware that high humidity while painting can make the fumes last longer.

Yusernaym

I just picked up some rustoleum, and I'll be doing a test piece tonight. I'm going with red for this build on the recommendation of everyone I've asked so far and it should turn out pretty nice