Pats Custom Models

flyin201

Has anybody built anything from Pat's Custom Models? I'm considering ordering a short kit from them but I don't really know much about them. Also, I haven't heard of short kits before, is it easy enough to find the balsa that is not included in the kit? I've built several balsa kits in the past but never a short kit.

The kit I'm considering is either the Fleet Biplane:
http://www.manzanolaser.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=74&products_id=288

Or the Fly Baby Biplane:
http://www.manzanolaser.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=74&products_id=289

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I haven't done anything from Pats, but have done a few short kits. Basically they provide all the pieces that would otherwise be a bit harder to cut. Ribs, fuselage formers, etc., while anything that is somewhat generic like flat sheet or spars you have to supply. Sometimes you get a list of material needed, other times you have to figure it out yourself. Either way it helps make the build faster and possibly more accurate where it counts.

Turbojoe

Elite member
If you've seen any Dare/Brodak kits you've likely seen a Pat Tritle design. While I only have his Piper Tri-Pacer (partially built) I love to watch his new design build threads. Pat is definitely an old school designer. He designs "stick build" as much as possible so his planes are so light they seem to have anti gravity generators. I've seen quite a few locals with his planes and his slow flyers are SLOW flyers because they're so light! Once you get into a rhythm building with sticks it's not really crazy slow. Plus you get the satisfaction of knowing YOU custom fit every piece. Look at Jokers L-19 build. That's an extreme stick build!

If Pat is ever at a local R/C event make sure you meet him. He's quite a character. He came to the Arizona Electric Festival a few times several years back. He always hangs out on RC Groups so if you post a question to the build thread and someone doesn't answer it he will.

Joe

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Joe, don't forget that Taylorcraft I sold you a while back is one of Pat's designs as well, although it's sold by Dumas.

Turbojoe

Elite member
How could I forget Dumas? He's designed a bunch of their kits too!

I'll have to call Sparky tomorrow as I didn't get the cowl or windshield from the guy I bought the Tr-Pacer from. Sparky doesn't show them on the website anymore either. I hope I can still get them.......

Joe

Pat's models are super light! They are like free flight rubber band planes with RC gear. I am currently building a Dumas L-19 Bird Dog. I also have a Tritle Super Cub short kit in the box. Manzano laser works sells quite a few of Pat's short kits, Pat doesn't sell from his site anymore. My finished bird dog will weigh about 10 oz. at flying weight. Not planes for windy days, but they are really good fliers. If you've built any free flight rubber band planes you'll do fine with one of pat's planes. If not, I'd build a few Guillows or Dumas free flight kits first, for practice. There are some great YouTube videos of some of pat's planes flying.

EDIT: if you go to the scale kit/scratch built forum over on RCG, Pat has build threads for most of the short kits.

Last edited:

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Pat's models are super light! They are like free flight rubber band planes with RC gear. I am currently building a Dumas L-19 Bird Dog. I also have a Tritle Super Cub short kit in the box. Manzano laser works sells quite a few of Pat's short kits, Pat doesn't sell from his site anymore. My finished bird dog will weigh about 10 oz. at flying weight. Not planes for windy days, but they are really good fliers.

The elevators alone on my L-19 weigh that much, so I can fly in a hurricane! :)

I didn't answer the question about the balsa. It is pretty easy to get the needed balsa. You can even buy it from a craft store like Michaels or Hobby Lobby. I buy in sheets and then cut the strips I need. I find it's easier to get the type of wood I want when I can pick through a stack of sheets. It seems the sticks available from the hobby shop or craft store vary a lot in a hardness and weight, making it difficult to keep things consistent, (e.g. it's hard to get two sticks the same). If you don't have a craft store or hobby shop nearby, you can order from places like National Balsa, Balsa USA, or SIG Mfg. Tower Hobbies also sells balsa.

Here's a video of a 60" wingspan Tritle Highlander. Keep in mind, this is a 60" span plane.

Last edited:

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
The "Balsa stripper" makes short work of cutting a lot of sticks quickly, a great item to have in any shop.