Pink Foam Kind of Sort of F-5

cyclone3350

Master member
I just finished my AC power supply and foam cutting bows. I have this giant Martin Seamaster that I would like to build. Before I start on it, I am going to build this kind of sort of F-5 that I made plans for almost two years ago. The original idea was to take an F-5 and using the ten step guide to designing model airplanes, I came up with something that looks like this. It will be cut out of pink foam the same way David of FT did his Viggen. I made a smaller prop version using a balsa built up structure and a foam core wing that turned out to fly very well. The original was a 25" WS. This one will be 45" WS and powered by two 70mm EDF on a 6s I really do not know what I am doing, so wish me luck!

IMG_2393.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4719.JPG
    IMG_4719.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1947.JPG
    IMG_1947.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1967 (002).JPG
    IMG_1967 (002).JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

cyclone3350

Master member
Received my latest tool from Ebay yesterday, I am finding that foam cutting is definitely a learning curve. I made a template out of poster board of the stabilator and ran through the table cutter. I then cut out the stabilator sections. For the airfoil templates, I went with 1/64" ply and ran a cut with the 20" bow on the center section. I need to bring the temp up on my next cut as this had drag marks. it sanded down OK and will be sheeted with 1/16" balsa. The challenge today will be to the outer sections. Having a swept back is something I will have to work out to keep the bow where I want it.

IMG_4721 (1).JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4723.JPG
    IMG_4723.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4724.JPG
    IMG_4724.JPG
  • IMG_4725.JPG
    IMG_4725.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4727.JPG
    IMG_4727.JPG
  • IMG_4730.JPG
    IMG_4730.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4731.JPG
    IMG_4731.JPG

cyclone3350

Master member
I was hoping to be much further along, but cutting a swept back airfoil turn out to very much a learning experience. It took about 6 or 7 times before I finally got something to work with. I have one divot to fill on one side, and a low spot on the other. After that it should be ready to sheet with balsa. Unfortunately I have to go out of town and won't have any updates for about two weeks.
IMG_4737.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4738.JPG
    IMG_4738.JPG
  • IMG_4739.JPG
    IMG_4739.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 0

cyclone3350

Master member
Another 8 more days until I get back home. In the mean time I have ordered a pair of these from RC-Castle. FMS 6s 1900kv 70mm. I hope ordering form them works out. I will let U know how long it takes to receive them.

FMS70V2PROP4-500x390.jpg

cyclone3350

Master member
Well, so far I am impressed with RC-Castle of Hong Kong. They sent my shipment out via EMS Speedpost (the only shipping option offered) and I received a FEDEX tracking No. It is listed as of this morning, @ their facility in Lantau Island HK. This wasn't too bad in cost. I placed an order for 2 70mm edf's with ESC and 1 80mm EDF with esc. These are small packages and with the total cost, this added about 13%. Where I live, the sales tax if I buy local ( Motion RC, Value Hobby, Horizon, Tower) is a little over 9%. Yes I live in Illinois. They also sent me a coupon for 5% off my nest purchase. Hmmm... I think that XFly Sirius Sport Jet is tempting me.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Are you planning on covering the airframe with covering film or fiberglass? I thought that denting or chipping the pink foam would be a concern but I'm not sure.

cyclone3350

Master member
Are you planning on covering the airframe with covering film or fiberglass? I thought that denting or chipping the pink foam would be a concern but I'm not sure.

Oh yeah, pink foam will dent if U look @ it hard enough let alone have it bump into something. I plan on sheeting it with 1/16 balsa using 3m 74 spray adhesive and probably glass with 1oz cloth and paint. I haven't tried the spray method before. Sigbond is what I have used in the past. but it requires fancy taping and clamping and it adds a fair amount of weight. I wish they still made Econokote. Then I would forgo the the glass and go with film.

cyclone3350

Master member
I THINK I HAVE A CRUSH ON RC-CASTLE. IT IS WHAT ?!! IT IS OUT FOR DELIVERY TODAY! OMG the last time I've ordered from a Hong Kong based outfit was HobbyKing. It took them almost three weeks just to tell me that my order was oversized and that shipping was 120.00 USD to ship from Seattle to IL. Keep in mind that when I ordered, it would not let me pick a shipping option. I sent an emailed, and was told to put in the order, and within a few days, I would receive info on the shipping cost. So, I was aware of it being oversized. I don't know why it took three weeks to tell me the cost , and I am sure another week to receive it. I canceled the order and they did refund my card quickly. My order with RC-Castle was placed on Friday, and now FedEx has it out for delivery today on Wednesday. This is directly from Hong Kong. WOW!

cyclone3350

Master member
I was hoping to have an update with some serious progress made when I returned home on the 30th of July. I was looking @ having about a week to work on it and then go to back to work for a few more days and then have another week to work on it again when I return. Unfortunately , I found out on Saturday the 31st, form my company, that I was exposed to Covid form a close contact co-worker. I did not think that I would either receive mild to maybe little symptoms and should be up and running in a week @ worst case. Sunday, 4 days ago, I had to be admitted to the hospital for low O2 levels and here I am still. I am hanging in there, and while my recovery may be slow, I am expected to make a full recovery. I have every intention of making up for lost time when I get home and this project done.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I was hoping to have an update with some serious progress made when I returned home on the 30th of July. I was looking @ having about a week to work on it and then go to back to work for a few more days and then have another week to work on it again when I return. Unfortunately , I found out on Saturday the 31st, form my company, that I was exposed to Covid form a close contact co-worker. I did not think that I would either receive mild to maybe little symptoms and should be up and running in a week @ worst case. Sunday, 4 days ago, I had to be admitted to the hospital for low O2 levels and here I am still. I am hanging in there, and while my recovery may be slow, I am expected to make a full recovery. I have every intention of making up for lost time when I get home and this project done.
Get well soon!

Scotto

Elite member
Some people swear by Ivermectin. You might have to smuggle it into the hospital because everything is political. My dad got some in the equine section of the farm store. Stay posititve and get well soon!

Last edited:

cyclone3350

Master member
Some people swear by Ivermectin. You might have to smuggle it into the hospital because everything is political. My dad got some in the equine section of the farm store. Stay posititve and get well soon!

Thanks @Scotto. Today is day 5 of Remdesivir. I had also received a dose of Monoclonal atntibody treatment. While I am on supplemental O2. I am far from anything live threatening @ this point. I have been maintaining O2 levels between 92-98% and today I am starting to show a slight trend towards improving. I have had 2 nights on a CPAC and that is also showing some promise. Thanks to those who responded, as being in isolation has proven to be on the lonely side. My recovery may be a little slow, but I will recover.:cool: