Planning and Designing for noobs?

whopperlover17

So I want to get into this hobby and I wanted to save a little money by building my own from scratch, however it appears much more difficult than I thought. When you guys design your planes, do you put a bunch of math into it and all that jargon? My thought was that I would just make a fuselage with the electronics and then make a wing with a nice airfoil and then balance the weight as one should, then adding the tail. Is that not all there is to it and would it not work? Any tips?

Also, I was thinking about buying a power pack from FliteTest, any suggestions? I've flown a few Airhogs planes (I know...dumb), but I really want to get into this hobby.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Welcome to the fun!! While it is sometimes possible to get lucky with throwing together some parts using the TLAR method (That Looks About Right) as a new pilot I would really recommend getting a kit or following a plan for your first plane.

This way you aren't struggling with questions of "did I design this right" and "did I build this right" and "am I flying this right" all at the same time.

I highly recommend starting with the Flite Test Tiny Trainer (it got me flying) - and I scratch built mine using the free downloadable plans and some very cheap radio gear and electronics from HobbyKing - all in I was flying for a good bit less than $100.

Once you have a first plane flying and you know your thumbs are working right, then as you learn more it's time to move into the weird areas of modifying designs and tossing crazy things into the sky. :)

But my most important piece of advice is don't let yourself get frustrated. Everyone who flys will crash - sometimes a whole lot of times in a single day - but don't let that get to you. There is a great community here to help you overcome the challenges, and lots of fun to be had!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
WL,

First off, Welcome to the forum!

While I agree with pretty much all that Rockyboy has said, You might also want to take a look at the "Experimental Airlines" youtube channel. Ed's methods of construction and plans pretty much line up with what you are describing, so take heart! You CAN get there . . .

. . . but . . .

Here's where I echo Rockyboy -- When you're learning to build, picking up one of FT's designs like the Tiny Trainer, FT Flyer, FT Old Fogey or even the FT Storch -- from kit or from plans -- is a bit better way to cut your teeth.

You're already feeling the pressure of all the details, pick one of these to help learn what is important and what isn't. What materials? Look at the plans. How do I assemble something? Check out the build video. Which power pack? The plans will tell you. Have questions? you're already a member here ;)

Build a few, get flying, watch a few build videos for tips/methods/ideas, play with a few of the EA designs, modify existing plans, and it won't be long before it's all comfortable. Then designing from scratch won't be as difficult.

Still hard, sure, but obtainable :)

I'd suggest nerdic's how to design foam board planes video series on YouTube as well. Nic does a great job of breaking the process down from start to finish. I'll dig up the link and add it to this post when I'm not on the road

Plans for laser cutting.

So I want to get into this hobby and I wanted to save a little money by building my own from scratch, however it appears much more difficult than I thought.

Hi all!
I am building away from kits and love it, but want to laser cut the foam board myself from the downloadable plans. Have ordered and received LOTS of waterproof FB through Flitetest, but the plans do not configure with my laser cutter. It is a Trotec Rayjet and needs an Adobe Illustrator file to recognise where to cut. Do you have plans in this format? How do I make this happen????

Any tips on settings for the foamboard that I have purchased???...don't particularly like the idea of burning ANYTHING down....

Thank you!