Polaris, FT mini style

tomlogan1

Elite member
Maiden failed..

Would not takeoff from grass. When I attempted to hand launch, plane nose dived onto the grass. CG was right on and plane balanced with 1300 mAh battery. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Timmy

Legendary member
Maiden failed..

Would not takeoff from grass. When I attempted to hand launch, plane nose dived onto the grass. CG was right on and plane balanced with 1300 mAh battery. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Did you check control surfaces? Maybe your elevator was reversed?

Paracodespoder

Elite member
To anyone that hasn’t built one of these and wants a float plane, build one! Mine flew fantastic and had excellent handling both on the ground and in the air, although I won’t post any pictures now... I may have not waterproofed it well enough... does anyone want some droopy warped wings?

Paracodespoder

Elite member
That's where I was leaning. Going to redo the entire tail and see if that changes anything. Thanks.
You might also add some supports on the foam where the tail meets the wing, mine ripped off and the prop cut into the wing in my first and only crash, with added popsicle sticks or skewers it would have been fine. Just a thought.

leaded50

Legendary member
i have a bought Josway Dragonfly as is in similar style, rudder, elevator, and elevons, grass, snow, water, no problem.

jpot1

Elite member
Maiden failed..

Thanks.
Sorry to hear that. Only other thought, where did you have CG at?

Paracodespoder

Elite member
I’m rebuilding this one, was a real joy. This time around I am using the Peter Sripol method of removing paper from formed parts and using polycyclic with Kraft paper to re-paper the plane. I have the fuselage done so far and wow! This may be my new go to way of building a plane that I want to last, it’s sturdier than your normal fuselage and still just as light. I also bought black foam for this one ( same dollar tree stuff), I bought it because it has a history of peeling much easier than white; however, they seem to have fixed the issue over at readi-board, it didn’t want to peel! It also is a mm or two thicker than white.

jpot1

Elite member
I’m rebuilding this one, was a real joy. This time around I am using the Peter Sripol method of removing paper from formed parts and using polycyclic with Kraft paper to re-paper the plane. I have the fuselage done so far and wow! This may be my new go to way of building a plane that I want to last, it’s sturdier than your normal fuselage and still just as light. I also bought black foam for this one ( same dollar tree stuff), I bought it because it has a history of peeling much easier than white; however, they seem to have fixed the issue over at readi-board, it didn’t want to peel! It also is a mm or two thicker than white.
Share some pics?

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Here we are all done with two coats of polycyclic per part:
image.jpg

Paracodespoder

Elite member
Maybe some black accents. Can’t thing of any other colors with green/orange!
I think I’m going to do a black shark logo thing on the v-stab and the wings, the outline was pulled from plans for the mako seaplane, which I built last week and although it flies will it wasn’t well built ( was designed to be built with depron and uses different build techniques that I am not used to)
I well see if I can get started painting tomorrow as long as the wind lays off a while, I only spray paint outside and have to wait for a calmer day.