Post about the first time you lost a model (crash or flyaway--whatever)

Christopher14

Driftin' with the wind...
My first was a scratch built 1.5m foam DLG with a motor I hot glued to the front. I took off and had a good flight and then a good crash. It crashed about 200ft from the tree line, I picked it up and finding that it was fine I chucked it back up in the air. I then remembered the advice Josh B gave about getting three mistakes high. I started climbing, then I got to around 150ft and stopped. Then the tree was in front of my plane. It is still up there a year later.

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
I destroyed my Champ little by little on each flight. Nothing interesting there, the thing would just nose down and not recover.

I bought a Duet that I flew and landed safely the first time. I had fun with it for days on end ( I was on vacation at my parents with a big field nearby). Finally one afternoon after a couple of beer I thought it would be cool to get it into an inverted loop. I thought this was probably the best way to get inverted (not sure why I didn't think of just stopping at the top of a regular loop?). I took it up, nosed it over and it headed straight for the ground, only going slightly back into the loop. It broke it good. I glued it back together but it wouldn't respond to the controller. It took me a day to think to rebind it. I did and it flew. I still have it, but it is just about worn out.

Tench745

Master member
The first crash I really remember is from a long way back, 2000ish, before I ever imagined I could afford RC. I'd had an Estes plane, free flight electric but had beaten it up pretty badly over time. Then I saw the mother of all planes to my adolescent eyes. It was another Estes plane, the Sky Rangers Flight Trainer. It used the exact same high-wing fuselage and feathers as my old freeflight, but came with a 1ch 72mhz radio. You'd charge it up, turn it on, toss it, and hopefully could do something with the on-off style rudder control the radio gave you before running into something. I loved it. I took it out to the middle school sports fields and got in maybe two flights. I forget the details, but I remember somehow the plane started to stall, I banked it hard to lower the nose but to no avail. So this thing comes screaming down, full throttle from about 30 feet straight into the dirt. It crushed the motor clear under the wings and split the tail-boom off aft of the wing's trailing edge. I don't know what was more shattered, the plane or my hopes of ever flying again. I wrote a letter to Estes customer service explaining everything about the crash in detail and explaining that I did everything the manual said to stop it, and requested that maybe they could send me a new fuselage so I could patch it back up. A week or two later a box comes in the mail, a new trainer fuselage with all the electronics installed and a spare prop to boot. I used parts from the crashed trainer to repair the tail feathers and motor on the electric FF plane. I still have both of them buried somewhere on the shelves in my workshop.

nicksta rc

Well when I was around 5 my dad bought me realflight g3 and I flew and flew then the first time at the field I was taking off and landing two flights in. About a month later we went to the field again and I was doing a fly by and the engine quit and flew into a ditch with a tree and ripped the monacote, not as bad as some but the second plane I had on the maiden flight I had someone on the same signal as me and from about 60 ft at full power went strait into the ground ive only had one stick since then a little foamy from fancyfoam.com

SteevyT

I can do better than a story, I have a picture.

loHuLeG.jpg

I was flying around and pulled a tight loop. The top wing snapped in half and it tumbled all the way to the ground landing more or less flat on its wheels. However, it was going fast enough that it more or less pancaked itself. I actually did spend about 2 hours fixing it and got it sort of back up a couple more times, but it was just so brittle that even gentle landings would brake something. CA just isn't very good at absorbing shock, and it was more CA than foam after this. I switched to DTFB models.