Prop + collet adaptor incompatibility?

EEAA

Hello all -

I ordered several sets of these props for my quad:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=25812&aff=247441

I'm running the hexTronix 1300kV motors on this quad, which didn't come with collet adaptors, so I'm using the four adaptors that came with some extra Turnigy Park300s I had sitting around. Both motors are standard 3mm shaft size.

It seems as if the propellor hubs are too tall for the collet mounts. After placing the prop on the "hub" of the collet, there is not enough thread sticking through the prop to let the nose of the adaptor get a good grip on the threads.

Is this a common problem? I clearly need to change either my props or the collet adaptors (or both), but I'm not sure where to start to ensure I'll get a good fit. I don't want to blindly order something.

I'm aware of prop saver adaptors, and I have those that I can use if it comes down to it, but I'd prefer not to. Aside from prop savers, collet mounts are the only other mount type I know of. It's very possible, though, that I've completely missed another type of prop mount. If that's the case, enlighten me. :)

Or perhaps this is just a situation where I should just pay a visit to my local hobby store and try my props on the collet mounts they have in stock...

Thank you!
-Erik

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Erick,

What props did you get? Some of the plastic and composite gasser props have hubs that are *way* too thick for some of the smaller electric prop adapters.

Really annoying when this bit me.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
You could always try to shave off some of the plastic on the props. But if I were you, I'd only remove material from the top of the prop so the bottom stays flat against the motor. Unless you're confident that you can keep the surface flat.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Strange that you are having this issue since the props are slow fly's...
Can you post a pic of the setup?

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I have some of those linked to in the first post. They DO have abnormally tall hubs. You should be able to do as rcspaceflight says and sand or shave a couple mm off the top.

The tiny bit of good news is, any mass you have to add to balance the the hub was countered by the removal.

EEAA

OK, sounds good. Thanks for the advice, all!

Looks like I'll be spending some quality time with my palm sander this evening. :)