Psyborgs 100 mph Quad Part Two

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Well when the props spin in like normal the air gets pushed into the center of the quad where all four forces tangle in the center creating really dirty air. When they spin outward that pushes the air away from the quad where there is no resistance as extreme as when the air is pushed inwards.

So in theory there is less turbulence, but now that I think about it all changing prop direction does is shift the dirty air by 90 degrees. Now you have cleaner air in front and behind you but dirty air on the sides.

I guess no matter how I look at it. Resoldering the motors properly is going to be my fastest path to a maiden today.

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
You got it. Cleaner air, less prop wash is the theory. The downside is you get dirty Flight Controller stacks when you put the quad in the grass/leaves.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Doesn't matter anyway its back to stock rotations. and if FLEW!!!!!!

I used my rates that I normally fly with and I split the difference between stock Kiss pids and what my Alien has. I did not have the video system plugged in but I did take my old cannon powershot out and got video of the maiden as well as a second battery.

Temps so far seem happy. I do think however that I finish a battery I knew was starting to go. It was coming back with .03 to .08 between cells. I just put it on the charger and it was .13 to .18 between cells and none were below 3,83.

Once the nerves settled in and I talked to a neighbor for a few minutes I went to fly the second pack I took out with me and started bouncing it a bit. I can DEFINITELY feel and see a difference even not near full throttle. Oh and O. M. G. this thing is smooth as all get out with these rates I have programmed. It will require some tuning as I can hear some chatter and I have my min throttle set a little low as I heard and caught it stall and tip over after punching a bit and releasing. I heard at least two of the motors act like they were about to desync with the chh chh chh wel I went to min throttle.

Even LOS with my bad eyes in the fading sun I was able to do close proximity figure 8's and low in ground effect range grass clipping quite smoothly with little ballooning or drastic throttle manipulation. Noticeable difference in agility.

I AM HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!!! Videos and more pics soon as I empty the memory card and get em upload to the you tubes.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Angry is NOT the word hehe.. put it thru some more rigorous testing today with some fpv track practice. It needs a lot more tuning then I thought from the LOS vids yesterday but still smooth as far as turning and rates are concerned. It is like a flying Chihuahua atm with the shakes when I get on the throttle.

I will say this.. its extremely floaty when you crash and cut the throttle.. it had hang times of over 6 seconds after an impact and I spent a good 20 minutes searching the alfalfa field for it after one crash. I have no idea the speeds I was hitting today but I will say FAST.. at 60 - 89 amps it seems faster then the Alien. I had flights today where max amps were in the high 120's on 4s with DAL cylone 5x4.6x3 props.

amps.png

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Tomorrows going to be another decent day for flying so I will charge up all my (4) packs and take a walk up to the park where there is more room tomorrow. I will adjust some pids tonight (don't have a small diversity receiver) so tuning via Taranis is not gonna happen. Video from today was too shaky to bother posting but hopefully tomorrow will produce better results. Hopefully it will be a tad less floaty once I tighten up pitch and roll a bit. Todays flights were sloppy and not so controlled as I am used to even at slower speeds.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Uhh.. uhhh... Im good thanx... :p

This will take some adjusting to. I can not begin to imagine what this will do on 5s...

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Sweet! Just catching up on this and super glad to hear she's ripping around for you! Very clean looking build too. :)

French

128 amps is a lot, but a sag to 2.8V/cell is wow.

Which batteries are you running (ruining)? ;)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I think the battery used in that screen shot is my warm up battery. Its a Gens ace 1800 25c :rolleyes: It wont die hehe. Its still square and still charges fine.. I finally killed its twin a few weeks ago when I plowed it into the top rail of a wooden fence I was trying to shoot under. Skrunchied one of the cells pretty good.

I am down to 3 1300 graphenes and on Tattu 1300. I REALLY need to find a battery sponsor. More so now that I have this beastie. Pretty sure I am gonna kill a few before I see what they can take and how hard I can actually push them.

Last edited:

French

25C!!!! So you're pulling 128 amps out of a battery "rated" for 45 amps. Proof that C ratings are bumkiss.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
25C!!!! So you're pulling 128 amps out of a battery "rated" for 45 amps. Proof that C ratings are bumkiss.

C ratings are what you are supposed to be able to "safely" pull without much sag, not MAX pull. If you pull that much out of a battery that is not designed for it or meant to take it, you run the risk of permanent damage and/or self ignition....

Cheers!
LitterBug

French

I know, but pulling nearly three times the rating is pretty impressive. I doubt you'd ever be able to pull three times the C rating on a 70C battery (270 amps on a 1300 mah 70C)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Oh you are NOT gonna believe what I hit to day..... I am posting as proof and NO gear was harmed. It all came down warm. Not even as hot as tap water out of the faucet feels. No I did not intend nor want to do this but things happen when yer locked in the moment. Wait n see.