Psyborgs 100 mph Quad Part Two

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Whew! When that story started out, I was afraid it was going to end with a GoFund me campaign for bail money!

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
Whew! When that story started out, I was afraid it was going to end with a GoFund me campaign for bail money!

Me too. www.gofundme.com/freepsyborg

Get_out_of_jail_free.gif

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Geee guys..

I am glad ya luvz me but man is that what you really expect of me? :p I like poking things with a stick to stir things up but I try not to tempt fate and press issues where Bills Law steps up and beats me down with a bigger stick :black_eyed: then I poke things with.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
It's not that we expect that from you brother, but it is pretty close to what we expect the universe throws in your path sometimes :p

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
The Betaflight devs must be subscribed to this thread. They are creating an “anti-TAZ” mode in 3.3 that’s detects when a quad is going to flip out and disarms!!!! LOL!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ok quick update.

Last time I flew Taz I tumbled him across the ground and ejected a battery. I found that the connector that came with one of my pdb's from the factory had a seriously failed solder job. They didn't even tin the connector. This explains a lot of the issues I was having with tuning and power fluctuations prior to repairing it.

IMG_0607.JPG

So I got around to repairing it the other day and put a few 4s packs and a 5s pack on it. Sadly that days dvr footage for the 5s run was not captured cause I was a dummy and did not swap connections on the goggles from input to output so all I recorded was black screen. I remedied that today and hit it hard with the 5s pack. It shakes a lot and requires tuning again but now it behaves more like the Alien when I swap from 4s to 5s with only little change in tune needed.

The end of the video gets all goofy and outta focus and I paniced when that happened during flight. Seems I have crashed enough the lens on the fpv camera had worked loose. I am just glad it did not fall out with me at full throttle. That woulda been one for the Bills Law records huh.

Anyway here is the run. I measured the distance on Google maps and put some conversions on screen for meters per second to miles per hour. Without grabbing a stop watch and counting frames of video I think between 123 mph and 145 mph. In any case no matter what the actual speed is I have met my goal of building a 100 mph quad. I even did it on 5s not 6s as originally planned.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Looking fast Bill. Glad to see the Taz seems to be working as it should now. You got me thinking about how fast my 5" and 6" setups go. I want to believe the 6" can easily hit 100 mph, but I have never checked. I don't even think I have hit full throttle before :eek:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Thanks Snarls. Its amazing how much more consistent it is since I fixed that power connector. Now learning how to tune using TPA... Uhhhg. I am just glad I didn't lose that camera lens mid flight as it was nearly out by the time I landed. I think that is getting some teflon tape before I readjust focus tomorrow. Same thing for the Alien as the dvr footage on that is getting fuzzy so that is working loose as well.

It's pretty simple to get a good guess. Standard football field (American) is 100 yards Goal line to goal line. If you can cover that in 2 seconds you are doing ~111 mph. Just don't faceplant on the goal posts if you try hehe. 50m/s =111 mph. 44.704m/s is 100 mph if you want to frame by frame and use a stop watch.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
I had my first fpv plane flights a couple weeks ago, and the camera I was using went out of focus every now and then. The lens wasn't loose from the housing, but the lens must have been loose from its plastic mount (the threaded part) itself. Was scary the first time it happened. Once I realized I was flying a plane and could just cruise around even with a blurry lens for a few seconds I was able to deal with it.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
All that shakin' reminds me of the last time I flew the Krieger. The camera tilt is a friction fit, but when flying in winter, things shrink and aren't as frictive. Couldn't figure out what was wrong while it was in the air. Just something really really odd was going on. When I landed, the camera flopped forward and down, revealing why I couldn't fly a line to save my life. LOL. Lookin good! I have one of these tiny RMRC GPSes for measuring speed runs.... https://www.readymaderc.com/products/details/rmrc-mini-gps . Need to check the 6" 4S krieger and the 5" 6S Screech. Thinking the screech is going to blow the krieger out of the water. =-O

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Bill doing math... Who-da thunk it? :devilish:

4s still scares me frequently, you can keep your 5s insanity all to yourself :cool:

I did no maths!!! and you cant prove it! :devilish:

Actually if you look at the video title it pretty much says it all.. YOU do the maths I just quoted some numbers off the interwebz to give people an idea so they can decide for themselves without me being barraged by a bunch of internet non Flite Test community asshats.

@Snarls I have actually had two of the lens fall out and get lost on the runcam micro swift I have on my Gremlin. That's what made me think about the teflon tape as an added security feature if the lens does come unlocked or that locking ring splits under pressure in a head on with the camera.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
All that shakin' reminds me of the last time I flew the Krieger. The camera tilt is a friction fit, but when flying in winter, things shrink and aren't as frictive. Couldn't figure out what was wrong while it was in the air. Just something really really odd was going on. When I landed, the camera flopped forward and down, revealing why I couldn't fly a line to save my life. LOL. Lookin good! I have one of these tiny RMRC GPSes for measuring speed runs.... https://www.readymaderc.com/products/details/rmrc-mini-gps . Need to check the 6" 4S krieger and the 5" 6S Screech. Thinking the screech is going to blow the krieger out of the water. =-O

Cheers!
LitterBug

Careful mate.. you are not among the gainfully employed and getting the speed bug now could suck the reserves dry pretty quick. Don't wanna force you off vacation too soon hehe.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Fortunately, all this stuff is already on hand. No harm no foul. After flying the A450 around with it's sub 50mph top speed, I could use some insanity! Was flying my AWK210 the other day, and it seemed really slow at full tilt. Used to think it was quick. Think the screech has got to be my fastest by a long shot. Need to find out what it is capable of.