Psyborgs 100 mph Quad Part Two

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I put that battery on charge while the video was uploading... 3.79 3.80 3.79 3.79 Will edit mah put back into the pack when it goes ding. 960 mah went back into the pack

The few last frames says it all.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Biggest number I saw when reviewing the run was 73.? coming thru a turn I guess it does not update fast enough and seeing a random number like that in a flight is near impossible. I guess that is why they show max at the end of the flights.

Disclaimer.. I have no idea if the pdb I have has to be calibrated or if they are known to be off. It says it will read a max of 140 amps but recommended max amps for the pdb is 130 amps according to the pdf. I did not see anything yet about calibration. There is a blurb how to get in the settings though so..

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
The highest Amp peaks are usually found when doing sudden 180 degree reversals at high speed. The faster you go, the more efficient things get (up until aerodynamic drag starts to kick in) and amp draw goes down. High sustained amp draw is more what C rating is for vs. short spikes/peaks.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
That would probably work if I was using beta flight French. I am running a Kiss FC and a Matek Hubosd Eco H pdb mate.

@LB I don't know its all confusing to me.. If I go by the numbers something should have popped that run but nothing was even what I consider lukewarm. Current sensor says max 140 amps and if it goes over 140 amps it says 140 amps according to the documentation. The PDB is rated 30 amp max per esc with 35 amp 10 second burst. The ESC are 45 amps.

This is full on Bills law... I am extremely happy nothing did go poof but extremely scared as I honestly don't think I was over 80% of the throttle stick on that run. I usually have to stretch my fingers to hit full throttle with the new longer sticks and I do not remember going past normal blips. I really didn't think I was work the throttle all that much but 20 some amps to 70 +amps is a pretty good swing..

I looked at the motors when tested with the Cyclones and the best performance was around the 75 % range where the efficiency dropped off as thrust went up.

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
I keep forgetting that you're a kiss guy. if the PDB has a built in current sensor and OSD, it's likely configured correctly.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I know it is off a little bit I took out 825 mah and put back in 960. but that difference at the high amp draw is what maybe 5 -8%. I try to stop any hard power use after 800 mah with landings as close to that as possible (in most cases) and my graphenes come down right around 3.8 v per cell after resting between the flights and the walk home to charge em up again. It seems like it carries over from the alien except I set the % timer for the Alien at 1:30 and for Taz I am at 1:15. and that gets me close by the time I get the 30 second warning I know to start watching the MAH's in the OSD at least twice per lap.

In any case this thing is flying great. I took a rough guess at what changes I needed to get it ball parked for pids and TPA from the second set of flights the day after I maidened it. From the camera and teh feel I would say its pretty close to being where I want it. Maybe some finer tweaks after I hit some 180s hard and start doing split s turns over gates to drop in and go under again. I think next months parts order will have a 5s in it. I think its tight enough to give it a whack to compare current use vs speed.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ty Ricci. This thing is a blast to fly. I am going back out as soon as the batter for my goggles beeps if I can before the sun gets too low out back. Gonna do some short 180 practice to see where this tune is if it needs touch up or not.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Well the question whether caps will be needed or not has been answered.. Now I have to work up the courage to plug the quad in after last nights tests to see if there is any damage electronically. High power smooth turns and its a very happy and smooth flying machine. Snappy turns at 3/4 throttle not so much. I noticed it was a bit jumpy and not in a pid sorta way the first pack I flew. Decided to push a little harder and found that again my left front prop has worked itself loose from the shear torque. (and yes I am using lock nuts.) I will probably have to pick up low profile ones so they grip more threads.

Anyway after that I thought it was the loosening prop that was causing the weirdness and started on my third pack. Well about 30 seconds into the pack coming out of a hard fast turn it made a squeak, desync'd and tumbled out of the air in a very strange way considering the speed it was moving. I was very nervous as the last view I had was the side of the building where people where out watching from their balcony. Luckily it did not go half as far as when I bounced it off the ground during test runs the day after the maiden.

Needless to say I was done for the evening. Between the desync and worry over damage and the fact my hands were shaking enough from the adrenaline that controlled flight would have been near impossible before the sun got too low. Will post more later after I work up the courage to remove the props and plug it all in with the smoke stopper.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Sounds like you are going through a "possessed" build like my Krieger 225 was. Seriously possessed in my case. Took out the FC, VTX, and RX on the first maiden via a branch. (that's on the pilot). 2nd maiden had RX failsafe crashed in bean field with prop-strike to ESC wiring. 3RD maiden at Flite Fest, someone plugged in a whoop on top of me. Managed to cautiously land without damage. 4th maiden (if you wanna call it that since 3rd had no damage) I hit a branch which knocked my fpv antenna into my props.... I have FINALLY gotten past all the goofyness that has plagued this build and managed two trips to the field and about 6 packs with no more incidents. This may very well be my 100MPH quad. I was doing 81mph straight up punch outs the other day (120Fps). Need to swap out my PDB, cuz as it turns out this one is only 4S capable and I thought it was 5S. So there is still some work to do to hit 100mph vertically. ESCs, and motors are up to it. Spedix ES30HV ESCs, T-motor F60 2450kv motors, and six inch props. Think I will add a GPS to it to get some inkling of speed reading. Need to find a radar to borrow or set up a timed course.

You could try throwing caps on your ESCs. Put these https://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=505_507_522&products_id=6525 as close to the power input of your ESCs as possible. Eventually this will all work out and you will be peeing your pants like me when you do a punch out and see just how fast it climbs out of sight. LOL

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Well from what I have read in the research I have done.. The spedix esc's have an "Array" of low esr caps already on them to prevent the back feeding. I can't seem to find who even makes them to find a pdf on them now. All the blurbs where they are sold have that quote from the mfg spec sheet but Ill be dammed if I can find a published version to read.

There is also the issue where to add caps that size where they are protected.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ok Update on TAZ.

Replaced a bad connector on the video camera. Was a brand new one when I built TAZ so I guess the crimps were bad or something. anyway took it out yesterday for a quick test in the side yard to make sure the camera was OK still. I noticed some chattering in the motors and made a few pid changes and came in for the night.

Got up this morning and did a real FPV flight with the goggles out in the field and no more brown outs or black screens. Seems like caps may not be needed after all. Noticed I had worse chatter in the motors so changed to lower P gains on the roll axis and tested again in the side yard with no video. Didn't hear any chattering but the neighbors were mowing the lawn next door and I couldn't really tell.

Went back in and grabbed my last two batteries and my googles to rip them FPV out back. There is still a slight chatter that may be pitch axis a tad high since the roll p gains needed to be lower then expected. I did raise yaw p a bit as I was getting some twisting when I was bouncing the quad to check I gains as well.

This is the last battery I flew this afternoon and I think I am really close now to being able to jump to 5s when I can afford a battery or three. I think the static left in the video is my wire to the dvr or the connector in the goggles getting loose after two years of nearly daily flying.

Anyway I don't think this is a bad start to my third year flying since my anniversary is September 5th and the weather has not let me really fly since before that. So here is another crappy dvr video to show my latest progress.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Sweet!! Very glad to hear the kinks are getting worked out and she's flying like she ought to :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Thanks guys. This is turning out to be very smooth for freestyle as well as for speed. I wanted to get out these next few days for more runs and to tighten the tune but It seems that won't be happening. I whacked my heel on the frame of my recliner the night I posted that video. Now it seems I have Achilles tendinitis. There is a lump on the back of my heel that is very painful and my ankle is very swollen and stiff. I been soaking it in ice baths and doing odd hot compresses. Its less painful now but still swollen so walking anywhere for the next few days or so till the swelling is down and I can stretch it back out is out of the equation.

Sooo that all said... who feels like doing a grocery shopping run for me this weekend. :rolleyes:

Michael9865

Elite member
Now it seems I have Achilles tendinitis. There is a lump on the back of my heel that is very painful and my ankle is very swollen and stiff. I been soaking it in ice baths and doing odd hot compresses. Its less painful now but still swollen so walking anywhere for the next few days or so till the swelling is down and I can stretch it back out is out of the equation.

Pain is irrelevant Shipmate, take 2 800mg Motrin tablets every 8-12 hours. Ice it when you are on your time. Until then get that quad in the air Sailor. "No Pain, No Gain!!" Well at least that is what my inner company commander is yelling at me when I read this.
Hmm, I wonder if that is why my X-rays, MRIs, and CT scans look so bad. Hmm

Take your time and "heal" up proper now. Until then it is simulator time. LOL Have a fine Navy Day!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Oh I am no stranger to pain matey. Took the insurance company's fighting with my doctors 8 friggen years before they fixed my shoulder and by that time the innards looked like a cotton ball. When they were done the video of the operation thru the surgical camera looked like the doctor was practicing tying flies for fishing. 6 weeks into rehab my neck issues showed and I ended up getting several vertebrae fused so I could have use of my arms back.. After not recovering properly from that they put in an electronic stimulator that ran wires up my neck to permanently shock the nerve stem to confuse pain conduction from the now permanent migraines. This got me off Oxycontin induced semi coma like living into semi functioning living. Flite Test has got me back into actual participation and interaction with Humonz again.

Sadly the stim does nothing for foot pain hehe. It is much more tolerable today. Less swollen and the pressure is easing. It also flexes a little after starting very minor stretching while sitting here on the forums. The lump is still there though so I have to keep my foot angled to the side so it does not rest on that.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Motrin is a good call. One I use with bad swelling. I usually go 3 or 4 tabs though (600-800mg) with food). Epsom salts in those foot soaks can also be helpful.

Hang in there shipmate.