Psyborgs Edge 540 build log

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Its kind of that whole do I have enough skill to fly full throws vs lower rates at the mercy of power..

The two streams will cross at some point and the universe will realign and I will become a pilot

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Its kind of that whole do I have enough skill to fly full throws vs lower rates at the mercy of power..

The two streams will cross at some point and the universe will realign and I will become a pilot

I've learned that its better to use full rates all the time, and if it's too touchy just add expo till it's comfortable.

donalson

If you have a pin drill and plastic frames, I've had good luck with this repair method

aid505107-v4-728px-Repair-Eyeglasses-Step-11.jpg

I broke many pairs of glasses as a kid... that is a bit more elegant than dad did... he drilled a hole in either side and used a cut paper clip then used epoxy... lasted until it was time for insurance to pay for my next pair of glasses that I'm sure I also trashed within the year lol...

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Well at least I am getting good practice on complex folds and undoing hot glue joints.

I do know I better get this flying thing down soon as I am nearly out of foam to work with.

d8veh

Elite member
I take my hat off to you for trying, but that Edge 540 is not a good plane to learn on. I would either start with something easier to fly and repair, like a Scout, or get the $10 "22 in 1 flight simulator" from Amazon, and practice on that until you're happy that you have the muscle-memory to fly a plane.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Hardhead is the term my stepfather used all the time.

The edge has done the most for me as its insanely durable, can fly reasonably slow and level, and most of all big enough I can see the darn thing more then 20 feet away hehe.

I dont fly the three mistakes high rule due to limitations of where I have access to fly since I no longer am allowed to nor can afford a car. Also since my neck has been fused looking up inpinges the spinal cord and fine motor skills diminish rapidly.

As for simulators I have flow the Reflex XTR sim about as much as I have Fpv Freerider over the years. I love that sim as the weather elements are fully programmable and regulay flew under more extreme conditions of high winds changing directions as well as turblance that could easily cause 20+ foot deviations in altitude randomly in non predictible areas.

Its down to simply time in the air, confidence, and getting better at knowing the crafts settings and coordinating them to be better matched where one surface reacts linearly to the others and not have one be crazy and another be weak like my last outing.

Itll happen. Most fixed wing pilots have a local support system and people on the spot to look to for aide and education. I have you guys to guide me. Unfortunatly the help is usually after the fact (aka crash) since none if you are close enough to hang out with.;)

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Hardhead is the term my stepfather used all the time.

The edge has done the most for me as its insanely durable, can fly reasonably slow and level, and most of all big enough I can see the darn thing more then 20 feet away hehe.

I dont fly the three mistakes high rule due to limitations of where I have access to fly since I no longer am allowed to nor can afford a car. Also since my neck has been fused looking up inpinges the spinal cord and fine motor skills diminish rapidly.

As for simulators I have flow the Reflex XTR sim about as much as I have Fpv Freerider over the years. I love that sim as the weather elements are fully programmable and regulay flew under more extreme conditions of high winds changing directions as well as turblance that could easily cause 20+ foot deviations in altitude randomly in non predictible areas.

Its down to simply time in the air, confidence, and getting better at knowing the crafts settings and coordinating them to be better matched where one surface reacts linearly to the others and not have one be crazy and another be weak like my last outing.

Itll happen. Most fixed wing pilots have a local support system and people on the spot to look to for aide and education. I have you guys to guide me. Unfortunatly the help is usually after the fact (aka crash) since none if you are close enough to hang out with.;)

If you come to Flite Fest, I'll learn ya to fly good!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Umm... sure?

Thats a loooooong walk to Texas from New York. ;)

I would have loved to do another FF but travel is a non starter for me. The only reason I have made the last two in Ohio is friends drug me along kicking and screaming the whole way there.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I cant keep up with repairs on a tiny one hehe. Let alone try to carry all the pieces of one that big up n down the stairs to my apartment.

Besides the way I fly I would mot make it there anyways.

Wait.... 1 +1 still makes 2 here... you tryin to kill me off? o_O:eek::cry:

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Umm... sure?

Thats a loooooong walk to Texas from New York. ;)

I would have loved to do another FF but travel is a non starter for me. The only reason I have made the last two in Ohio is friends drug me along kicking and screaming the whole way there.

The line is, "Well it's a long way to Richmond." But I get your drift. Ohio might be in my future again. If that's the case, I will be going to the Flite Fest there.

In the meantime, I have 2 words for you: Simple Soarer. I do believe sir, that if you take that thing and get to where you can fly the wings off of it, you will be more than halfway home. After that, you'll be ready for lots more fun.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I appreciate the suggestions and I would have started with a high wing trainer and fly 3 mistakes high.

Maybe my descriptions I gave to what my available flying places are do not explain well enough the limited space.

Google Bellamy Park and look at the satelite view. That will show you what I have available.

Cant put a plane 3 mistakes high right over the edge of town or where it would not be recoverable if downed in the opposite directions. Safety first n all that.:)

The place out back is larger but is still currently packed full of 8 foot tall corn plants.

Til they come down my fixed wing flights are in very limited spaces.

d8veh

Elite member
I appreciate the suggestions and I would have started with a high wing trainer and fly 3 mistakes high.

Maybe my descriptions I gave to what my available flying places are do not explain well enough the limited space.

Google Bellamy Park and look at the satelite view. That will show you what I have available.

Cant put a plane 3 mistakes high right over the edge of town or where it would not be recoverable if downed in the opposite directions. Safety first n all that.:)

The place out back is larger but is still currently packed full of 8 foot tall corn plants.

Til they come down my fixed wing flights are in very limited spaces.
Surely, a three channel Mini Scout or similar will fly in a lot less space than the Edge 540, and It'll be a lot easier to learn to fly it.