PT-17 Stearman

PT-17 Stearman 1.0

Please log in to download

luvmy40

Elite member
I tried all available options but lightburn won't open it.. I'm old for some things. Thanks for all
Do you have InkScape?

Import the plans(one page at a time) into your project. Lock the layer. Add a second layer over top of the first layer. Trace the plans. Go back to layer 1, unlock and delete original plans. Save as a .pdf

That should open in LightBurn.

luvmy40

Elite member
Just wondering will a vector file ever be provided?
Probably not. The reason is a lot FT's plans, and prbably quite a few of Dan's and Ben's stuff have been pirated by unscrupulous over seas sellers, mass produced(poorly) and sold as genuine FT speed build kits.

Flying Farm Kid

Could you ask Ben and Dan if you could share your vector files with us because I do not have the time rite now to do that, if all possible,
Thank you!

Do you have InkScape?
Import the plans(one page at a time) into your project. Lock the layer. Add a second layer over top of the first layer. Trace the plans. Go back to layer 1, unlock and delete original plans. Save as a .pdf

That should open in LightBurn.
Hi, until "block the level" I got there, then I have to reload the same page. I reload smaller than the first, is it normal? I don't understand and I can't find how to draw the plans. I told you, I'm old but not i want to give up

luvmy40

Elite member
Not at this time.

Hi, until "block the level" I got there, then I have to reload the same page. I reload smaller than the first, is it normal? I don't understand and I can't find how to draw the plans. I told you, I'm old but not i want to give up
There are tons of youtube tutorials on Inkscape as far as the drawing tools go. It took a little practice to learn the best ways, for me to draw, edit and trace plans but it is not actually difficult. Just not intuitive if you have now CAD or Paint experience.

At the bottom of your working view there should be a small "window" that shows the current layer and has a "lock" icon next to it. Click the lock to lock the layer currently being viewed, then use the layer button at the top of the main window to add a second layer over top of the first. You will be working on the second, unlocked layer.

Flying Farm Kid

There are tons of youtube tutorials on Inkscape as far as the drawing tools go. It took a little practice to learn the best ways, for me to draw, edit and trace plans but it is not actually difficult. Just not intuitive if you have now CAD or Paint experience.

At the bottom of your working view there should be a small "window" that shows the current layer and has a "lock" icon next to it. Click the lock to lock the layer currently being viewed, then use the layer button at the top of the main window to add a second layer over top of the first. You will be working on the second, unlocked layer.
I am wondering, are you abeel to share your vector files with us Luvmy40?

luvmy40

Elite member
I dont have vector files. I end up with .svg files that Inkscape creates. These can be opened in Inkscape and used to generate GCode with the extension of your choice. You can also save them as .pdf files which can be opened in Lightburn to generate GCode for laser cutters/engravers.

Dan has already stated that he does not, at this time want to release editable files for his design, so I will have to abide by his wishes and not share my edited files. Sorry.

Flying Farm Kid

I dont have vector files. I end up with .svg files that Inkscape creates. These can be opened in Inkscape and used to generate GCode with the extension of your choice. You can also save them as .pdf files which can be opened in Lightburn to generate GCode for laser cutters/engravers.

Dan has already stated that he does not, at this time want to release editable files for his design, so I will have to abide by his wishes and not share my edited files. Sorry.
Ok thanks!

Flying Farm Kid

If you don't want me to do it then please ask me to take it down but here are the stl files and sorce files for the struts desined by Mzaher and improved by me. large strut small strut
The sorce files are in onshape and you can accses them with a free account

Attachments

• Outer wing strut.stl
    433.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Inner wing strut.stl
    474.1 KB · Views: 0

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
This one's next on my build list once I finish the QED. Really like the way you did the wing tips since that's the part that gets banged up first. I put some tip bottoms on my QED proto type and doing away with the under camber didn't affect the handling at all. Good job!

danskis

Master member
I have routinely filled in the wingtips on my Spitfires with an additional piece of foamboard. The leading edge is flush with the fold-over leading edge but the back of the filler piece meets the trailing edge at the aileron hinge which gives it the equivalent of "wash out". Hard to explain but I'll try to take a picture. I've noticed no inclination to tip stall.

elecsual

For the bottom wing, does the dihedral gauge go at the end of the wing tip? The build video shows the gauge under the wing tip.

Thanks,

Mzaher

For the bottom wing, does the dihedral gauge go at the end of the wing tip? The build video shows the gauge under the wing tip.

Thanks,
I put mine just behind the front spar at the wingtip. But like stated in the video, more dihedral is better. Mine was just a tad short on the angle and getting the outer wing struts in was a little challenging.