Quad frame and system recommendations

fixnfly

So it looks like I need to finally make the plunge in to multi rotor flight. I need to build a quad that can carry a certain type of payload. For the purposes of this tread, lets call it top facing and bottom facing dome cameras. I would build it from scratch, but currently I think it might do me some good to start with something that works first then modify it.

What quads/kits/packages do you guys recommend for flying a 120g total payload? I don't need racing class performance with payload, but also want something that can climb at a decent rate. Also, all parts of the quad need to be clear of the top and bottom payload domes, but they can mount on top of flight gear or batteries in the core of the vehicle.

Any ideas or sugegstions?

Note: I have a decent amount of fixed wing and nano heli experience and have a friend that is a skilled videography quad pilot to help with testing/training.

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
How fast would you lik it to climb (approximately)? How far apart are the camera domes? How large are they (diameter)? How long flight times do you need?

120g payload isn’t much at all.

Flight time will likely determine battery and prop size.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
120g payload is nothing. Most quads could carry that with out knowing it was even on. The new FT 270 would be a good platform to look at as it has awesome power, a serious payload capacity for cameras and such, was designed to carry mounted objects like cameras and gimbals, and is super efficient for long flight times. If that is to far out of the financial bracket the Versa Copter frame is very adaptable to many different set ups and can also be built to be efficient and strong. When I first started I was flying the stock one on 3 s just cruising and getting over 10 minute flight times easily on cheap 2200 mah 25 c batteries.

fixnfly

So for a 3" dome, I don't think I would need more then 150g payload. Eventually I want to build a larger version, but the 3" one is what I have the gear for right now. The domes should be equal distances from the center of mass, but far enough off center to have a clear view of the entire hemisphere.

While I don't need speed for the proof of concept, I probably will want to tune it up and fly some more aggressive flight profiles after a while. I don't really need super long flight times, 5-10 min are just fine.

French

Sounds like you need a build with 5” or 6” props. Smaller props means that it should be easier to get the props out of the video. You’ll want efficient motors with more torque than top end. How much are you looking to spend?

The FT 270 may be an ideal platform. It doesn’t appear they currently have the Tmotors available, but there are other efficient options out there.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
The weight is pretty simple.

The question I have for you is flight time. 6" rotors will lift the weight for a few minutes. If you want 20 minute flight times you will need longer props and a larger frame.

fixnfly

10 min flight times would be great, 5 min might work. I would like to spend sub $500 excluding any FPV gear, but if it has to cost more I will wait and save a bit.

French

You should check out the components here - https://store.flitetest.com/ft270-chase-quad-custom-built-bind-n-fly/

FT will build it for you or you can just purchase the parts al la carts from the FT store
FT 270 frame - $90
Tmotor F80 2200kv x 4 (FT uses a lower kv) - $105 https://www.getfpv.com/motors/mini-quad-motors/tiger-motor-f80-2200kv-fpv-series-motor.html
Emax bullet 35A escs x 4 - $60
Dys F4 flight controller - $40
RunCam Swift 2 - $40 (or save a few grams and dollars with the RunCam mini - $35)
TBS Unify Pro V3 (up to 800mW, powered from the flight controller) - $40 https://www.getfpv.com/fpv/video-transmitters/tbs-unify-pro-5g8-v3-sma.html (or if you only need up to 200mW, you can save some money by going with the Unify HV Race - $30; however you’ll need to power it from battery voltage)
antennas (triumph/axii/etc) - $40 for two
You’ll need a radio receiver that matches your radio transmitter (FrSky, Spektrum, etc)
FT suggests the 4S 2800mah G7 Si batteries - $68 (there may be other similar options for cheaper)