Quadcopter build

MrBigRig

Complete noob :p
Hello

I've recently taken an interest in multi-rotors and i have decided to try and build my own! However i am a complete novice on choosing the correct parts and would just like some confirmation on the parts i've chosen before i spend any money, furthermore if anyone has any tips they'd be greatly appreciated :)

Frame: Q450 v3
Motors: LDPOWER MT2206-1900KV Brushless Motor
ESCs: Turnigy Multistar 20A V2
Propellars: 6030 props
Battery: Multistar Racer Series 1600mAh 4S 40C
Transmitter: HobbyKing transmitter

As well as a LIPO battery charger and other necessities. Thanks in advance :)

Jugsy

Hi MrBigRig, welcome to the forums!

I see you're looking to buy a transmitter with this build, so I assume this is your first foray into RC.

I strongly recommend you get yourself something you can just fly when you're starting out, if you've never flown a quad before it's going to be hard to set up and tune a build. The Blade Inductrix is all the rage right now for fun, easy, indoor/outdoor micro quads. There's a recent FT video on how to mod them for FPV and beef up their performance and durability. The Blade Nano QX and similar offerings from Hubsan or Syma are also great starting points.

Secondly, "quadcopter" is a bit too vague nowadays. What are you looking to get out of the hobby? If you're interested in racing that frame is way too large and probably not tough enough. If you're interested in photography/videography you probably want to look at saving some more cash to look at a product or build that will deliver the shots you're after. If you just want to putt around the local park, that frame is about right, but those motors are quite different from the recommended setup and while I haven't heard anything bad about Turnigy ESCs, I certainly don't hear or see them being used by any pilots I know or follow online.

Before you buy anything, just try and sponge up as much knowledge as you can, check out some other forums, watch some RotorRiot vids and other youtube tutorials. I haven't looked at your part list too thoroughly but I think those motors might not be suitable for that kind of frame. You're also missing a Flight Controller which is a fairly big decision for any multirotor build.

If you're pretty set on building something, and soon, I'd say go with a tried and true platform like the Versacopter, you'll get a lot more support and it's more likely to stay in your hangar for years to come.

MrBigRig

Complete noob :p
Thanks for the reply

Yes this is my first venture into flying multi-rotors but i have flown RC helicopters before, I'll definitely look into buying a quad to get me started. Initially i would just like a quadcopter to fly just for fun, however i would eventually like to experiment with FPV/racing. Furthermore i'll research some recomended motors and ESCs for my frame or go with the Versacopter you mentioned. Lastly, yes i have a few flight controllers in mind, i just forgot to put it in the list.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.

Jugsy

Cool, sounds like you're on the right track, but there's not a lot of quality choices on HK from what I've seen ;)

I'm just going to leave this here, if you're aiming for FPV racing then it's a cheap and stress-free way to get started

jack10525

Man that is a nice frame. It's big. I bought a syma x5sw just to play around with. It was like $50 shipped with 3 batteries. Fun little quad but does not handle wind at all. Best to fly in doors.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I would also suggest watching a bajillian build / set up videos from the Flite Test team, Rotor Riot crew, as well as Painless360 (where I leaned most of my specific build knowledge), and Joshua Bardewell who does a good series on tuning and basic flight training using FPV Freerider sim as well as blackbox analysis for help tuning or solving issues with multi rotors.

Doing that will save you much time, a lot of effort , and tons of cash in the long run.