Question about starting new in Multirotors

Alvey

I have a vtail quad copter question about props. Do I place the 8.5x4R propellers on the clockwise turning motors and the L propellers on the counterclockwise motors. I'm totally new at this and spent 9 hours building this and can't get it airborne. I'm wondering if it is propellers.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Normal props go CCW looking down on the motor, or at the front of the plane. Leave the props loose on the shaft and run the motors slowly. Is the leading edge of the prop the highest?

sLpFhaWK

So Helidirect.com is literally right down the street from my house.. LITERALLY and I went in there today and their showroom is pretty nice. They had this great Helicopter simulator hooked up to a Spektrum DX6 I think and i got to crash the helicopter a bunch and finally got used to flying it for a bit.. but its hard!!

So I got to talking to the guy there, his name was Long super nice guy. I told him what I wanted to do and he recommended this kit to me, its everything i need minus the flight board and Tx/Rx and i think its priced rather well. Replacement parts are cheap if you break an arm or something so I wanted to ask you guys what do you think?

http://www.helidirect.com/dji-flame-wheel-f450-arf-kit-wmotors-esc-propellers-p-26622.hdx

Comes with the body, esc's, motors and props. He really suggested GPS but I don't have 400 bux to drop on the system they sell.

He was familiar w/ Hobby King and their KK2 board but the only problem is getting one in stock. So my question to you is this kit worth it? It was real solid, they had a hexacopter on the bench he was working on and i picked it up and rather liked it. but I'd like to start small and work my way up.

So please, comments and suggestions are always appreciated especially if you have any experience with this type of multirotor. Thanks!

earthsciteach

I don't have any experience, but if it includes everything but the flight control board, the price isn't too bad.

baddox

The DJI flamewheel kits are good and quite popular. A lot of people buy cheaper Chinese clones of that frame and use non-DJI components, which tends to keep the price down (a few people hate DJI, but I think the general consensus is that their products are good, just a bit overpriced).

Someone with direct experience with the DJI components in that kit should pipe in, but as far as I know the ESCs and everything else should work fine with any flight controller (like a KK2).

baddox

According to this thread, the DJI ESCs will work fine with a KK2 or other common flight controllers. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1714807

You will need a soldering iron and some solder. You'll also need a transmitter/receiver, a flight controller, a battery, and battery charger. Depending on exactly what connectors they use and how long the wires are on the included parts, you might need some wire and connectors. It sounds like the guy at the store will know the details, and you can check back with the forums to make sure he's not trying to rip you off. ;)

sLpFhaWK

Yea like I said Helidirect is literally 1/2 mile down from my house and they are a pretty reputable company online for heli parts. I wouldn't mind making my own using the flitetest kits but adding the all the seperate components would add up. so i was looking for an easy solution and if this it just to get me in then I think its a win win all around honestly.

Another question, the quad in this video is called an Armattan and it looks FAST and nimble and the manuevers he does is pretty impressive anyone know more about that particular model?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbCF9ai3BQU

thanks for the replies.

sLpFhaWK

Baddox that's awesome. How do you pull off those flips? Are they that difficult to do or are people to scared to do them for fear of crashing? lol

baddox

I don't pull off any flips, not yet, but I've only been flying for a few weekends now. They're not terribly difficult to do though, and YouTube and the forums are full of people able to do basic flips. With the KK2 board, you just increase your stick scaling to make the controls very sensitive, then just gain some altitude and go for it. You just have to be willing to crash.

Honestly, I'm more impressed by warthox's grasp on orientation. Those really fast banking maneuvers combined with those SNAPPY flips is really cool.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I agree, did he fly heli's 3D before multi's or something? He's got some real skills there...

sLpFhaWK

I just want to get in the air. This land R/C stuff is boring now I want to get in the air and bust out some flips! some aerial video would be nice too.

sLpFhaWK

I like the Armattan One all aluminum.. He just released, or is testing a full CF Frame that looks sexy as hell. I can't figure out how to order the One from his website tho. He has a link for parts, but nothing for frames.. I'll have to PM him on the forum.

baddox

The problem with aluminum or CF frames is it's going to be painful if you wreck and break one. My tricopter has CF booms, but I've already got wooden spare booms ready just in case.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
The problem with aluminum or CF frames is it's going to be painful if you wreck and break one. My tricopter has CF booms, but I've already got wooden spare booms ready just in case.
I was just looking at that. He says they bend and you can just bend them back...He hasn't had to sell any replacement booms. Now, how the motors hold up....

baddox

True, I can believe it for that particular quad, since it's very compact and the arms are fairly thick.