quick motor queston

ghost civic

I have thus far only used small 1200-1500kv motors that can spin 8 or 9'' props.

I recently bought a 2200kv 2212 motor. the add said it was going to include a 7x4 prop which sounded about right to me.
but instead it came with a 6x3.5 prop. this prop seems too small and too flexible to fly a 40'' wingspan plane. am I wrong?

having never used a higher kv motor...can some one give me an idea of the proper prop range (on 3s) ?

BTW, I got the motor, a prop, prop saver, prop adapter, 30amp esc (prewired with T plug and bullet plugs) all new for $22!

Raptortech

Foam Addict
Assuming a 3s:
It might be ok but it really depends on the plane. The AXN FloaterJet ships with a 4.75x4.75 prop and a 2200kv motor, and that plane is 44in wingspan. I run my 2200kv with a 6x5 for my Versa Wing and it will easily do 50mph drawing an estimated 25-30amp max.

ghost civic

Ok, will try it with the provided prop then.
after posting the question I remembered the thrust calculator webpage and it seems it could actually provide a bit more thrust than my 1200kv motor with a 8x4 prop.

Just not so sure with the provided prop being rather flexible. But ill use it and if it seems to weak ill buy a stronger one.

Im still pretty happy finding this esc/motor deal. to get a 30a esc and 2200kv with bullet plugs and battery plug pre-soldered and a prop, prop saver and prop adapter for $22 shipped is pretty sweet.

Hopefully I can finish my current plane in 2 or 3 days and give the new motor a test.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I have the AXN floater jet replacement motor which is 2200kv. With a 5x5 prop on a 3S battery it works well with about a 40" wingspan. It takes a while to get the plane up to speed, but once it's up there, it's fast. Too fast for me. It's a completely useless motor on a 2S battery though.

ghost civic

I have the AXN floater jet replacement motor which is 2200kv. With a 5x5 prop on a 3S battery it works well with about a 40" wingspan. It takes a while to get the plane up to speed, but once it's up there, it's fast. Too fast for me. It's a completely useless motor on a 2S battery though.

trading diameter (thrust) for pitch (speed)....should be interesting. pretty much everything I have flown (rtf or built) has used "slow fly" 8 or 9'' props. They take of very quickly but maybe do 40mph. Ill be happy to try something faster. I just hope my next build with this faster motor will be a stable plane. Will have to take that into account when building it. This will be another single aileron plane tho. It is going to have a pretty big aileron :)

thanx.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Huh. I'll share the video anyway, but I see from the first shot that I was actually using a 2S battery with the 2200kv motor and a 5x5 prop. I don't remember the wingspan of the plane. I think it's somewhere between 30" and 40".

It would have been a screamer if I used the 3S. (The video ends with me breaking the arrow shaft fuselage in half. Which you don't actually see in the video.)

ghost civic

well it that was a 5x5 on 2s...then I shouldn't have any problems with a 6x3.5 on 3s.

I should buy a thingy to test amp draw. That way I wouldn't have to guess if prop "A" is too much for a given motor. Cause if a 6x3.5 works OK, id love to try a 7x3...but don't want to cook a motor or pop the esc.