R/C stuff to bring to FTFF

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
So i'm working on my list of stuff to bring with me. Flying monkey suggested I start a thread. So here we go.......

Look this over and see if I missed anything

Parts for Flite fest
4 wheels
6 beef packages and at least 10 servos.
Led strips..... Blue, yellow, white
Booms
Zip ties
Hot glue and gun
Solder gun, solder, heat shrink, bullet connectors, battery connectors
CA
Light ply pieces
Props and prop mounts
Multi rotor motors.
All radios and spare receivers
Dremel and bit kit
Drill, and bits.
Hardware like screws, nuts bolts stuff like that.

Am I missing anything

Team_Monkey

The things I have to really struggle to remember are support equipment for my support equipment;
Drill battery charger
DC power supply for battery charger(s)
Radio charger (if using)
Wall warts for BNF planes
Extension cord and power strip for 120V tools.

At least for this one I don't have to worry about the mix can for gassers, a few gallons of Nitro and my starting gear. :)

Team_Monkey

They're supposed to have 120V available for charging, I just hope they have enough circuits. I've been at a couple indoor events where the charging circuits were divided properly.
For myself, I'm bringing gear to charge off a bunch of UPS batteries and/or my truck (DC extension cord to not burn up my truck) if needed. Infrastructure is great but I try to be as self sufficient as possible.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
+1 for self-suficency Monkey!

There's likely to be quite a few there with limited or no equipment for charging, and what we can do to free up resources might mean the diffence between someone getting more than one or two flights in . . . or being grounded for the rest of the weekend after the first night. The power might also not be 120VAC, which might leave some in a pickle.

We're a friendly bunch, and I'm sure we'll help get folks past these hurdles to get them in the air, but the better prepared we are the more fun everyone can have!

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Looks like your list includes more for build time rather than fly time... That means more fly time for me :)

Team_Monkey

Do you go to a fly-in or a build-in? (The night session at FTFF not withstanding)
Materials versus number of planes is an inverse relationship, at least for me. When I used to take a dozen plane to an event I would take nearly nothing for repairs as I figured I'd always have something to fly. :p

Now that I seem to take less planes, I bring a little more repair materials.

CrashRecovery

Mentor
I will have my multi rotor, a couple ft planes if they survive flights before and a couple of the planes I bought. So on top of the three planes ill get at ff. My son will have his old fogey. so I hope to have more flight time then repair time.

Attachments

• photo 1 - Copy (3).JPG
    photo 1 - Copy (3).JPG
    521.9 KB · Views: 37
  • photo 2 - Copy (3).JPG
    photo 2 - Copy (3).JPG
    451.2 KB · Views: 27
  • photo 2 - Copy (4).JPG
    photo 2 - Copy (4).JPG
    545.4 KB · Views: 27
  • photo 3 - Copy (2).JPG
    photo 3 - Copy (2).JPG
    516.2 KB · Views: 26
  • photo 4 - Copy (3).JPG
    photo 4 - Copy (3).JPG
    586.3 KB · Views: 27
  • photo 4 - Copy (4).JPG
    photo 4 - Copy (4).JPG
    516.3 KB · Views: 26
  • photo 4 - Copy (5).JPG
    photo 4 - Copy (5).JPG
    467.5 KB · Views: 26
  • photo 3 - Copy (4).JPG
    photo 3 - Copy (4).JPG
    474.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

CrashRecovery

Mentor
I have to put electronics on the ones in the pictures. The F-22 thing is the only one that is RTF. So Ive got a bit of electronics to buy

BladerunnerxRC

1300 watt gas generators cost about $35/day to rent or $120/week. I'm considering renting one and sharing the power with my neighboring flyers.

Team_Monkey

I'll be honest, I hope there aren't a bunch of generators running at FTFF. I understand folks may need power now and again but with 200+ pilots that could get pretty noisy.

And I don't mean "pretty noisy" as in the sound of a turbine or gasser. :p

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I went to a fly-in at a club that had one large generator positioned at the back of the field away from the station. They ran an electrical conduit underground to a power station inside their pavilion. There must have been 20 or so chargers hooked up and it was great. No inverter needed, just clip your charger on to a set of available poles and charge. I doubt anything like this will be at FTFF but the popularity of electrics is making charging stations and their design a big topic. Even solar charging stations.

BladerunnerxRC

I am assuming most of the RVs that will be attending will be running generators. It may be a good idea for the FT crew to setup camping site reservations, as well as, asking for confirmation if people will be running generators. If people share, and others kick in a few $, we should have plenty of power availible.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
My charger is limited to 5A and its really all I need. A lot of folks have modded server PSUs as they can deliver in the area of 50A at 12V or more. They can easily be had for $30-50. Why power supplies for this hobby are so $$$ I have no idea. I think I got my PSU for $5.