R/C stuff to bring to FTFF

ofiesens2

Professional noob
Being the inexperienced and oblivious 13 year old that I am, I haven't bothered to find out what DC or AC power supply is. I guess to keep things simple in my head, can I buy something like a Turnigy Accucel and hook up the banana plugs to the power supply Flite Test provides? Or would I have to buy a converter to plug it into a wall outlet type thing?.............

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
I highly doubt the power setup they put together will posts like a battery. I'd figure out a way to plug it in to a wall type socket. Ac current stands for alternating current and DC is direct current. Houses use ac power and a car uses dc. Hope that helps

I'm sure they will have AC for the PA System, giant screen, lights, etc. but almost all the chargers are running DC. At SEFF they have a 900ah bank of deep cell batteries on a charger, with two long copper rods to hook up to. (I haven't been there, but I've seen the pics.) That's a great setup , and would keep the majority of people (without their own generators) in business. If you bring a car battery or a sealed cell, you still have to charge it, And people forget that charging 2200mah batteries a dozen times a day at 4 amps takes quite a bit of power. You'll be killing your gel cell quick.

captian kazuma

smile. you've got wings.
man my list is way shorter then this. i got to buy foam board when i get there. but im not able to bring supplies like that. im still pretty new. just hoping to get a few plane up and learn alot.hope people bring extra stuff lol

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
Has anyone mentioned bringing planes yet? LOL

Anyone who is thinking about renting a generator, consider spending a little extra and picking up one of these...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-22...u=203617901&ci_src=328768002&ci_sku=203617901

Worth every penny. Really really quiet, throttles down to supply only the power being drawn from it (makes it MUCH quieter and uses MUCH less gas) has a digital inverter so you can run fine electronics on it like cellphones and laptops and the like, and is pretty small.

Besides, what homeowning adult doesn't need a generator?? :)

I bought one right before a 36hour power outage, and never regretted it for a second. A gallon of gas lasts about 8 hours in this thing at full throttle, and even then it's quiet enough to stand next to and have a normal conversation.

rossmort

Anyone who is thinking about renting a generator, consider spending a little extra and picking up one of these...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-22...u=203617901&ci_src=328768002&ci_sku=203617901

Worth every penny. Really really quiet, throttles down to supply only the power being drawn from it (makes it MUCH quieter and uses MUCH less gas) has a digital inverter so you can run fine electronics on it like cellphones and laptops and the like, and is pretty small.

I bought one right before a 36hour power outage, and never regretted it for a second. A gallon of gas lasts about 8 hours in this thing at full throttle, and even then it's quiet enough to stand next to and have a normal conversation.

You got me all excited when you said spending "a little more" :) That looks like a beast and would be super helpful. Now that I've looked, considered, and passed on buying one for the time being, I'm sure to get hit with a big power loss this winter and will wish I followed your recommendation.

Gryf

Ha... I can just see every restaurant in Malvern filled with pilots, eating lunch while charging batteries from extension cords run to every outlet in the place... hotels charging extra for power used on Friday and Saturday night... sneaking into Fureys' garage and hooking up to their car battery... having to jump-start dozens of dead cars when FliteFest closes, etc.

This could be interesting. :-D

Gryf

Last edited:

Splatwillicrash

Crash I have the Generator!!

Ah good call on cords..... a few extension cords.... But wait I need a generator now..........
I dont have the cords!!

Not sure how close we can set up, but it does sound like I am gonna be part of the extended family, mi casa su casa, and so my power is your power....

Splatwillicrash

Dang

Wont fit in my Luggage!! But seriously, it is nice to see a brand name I like that has broken the stranglehold Honda had on the Portables market.... I have an EU2000 and LOVE it. wish I had room but think the Airline would Balk more than a little bit.....

Splatwillicrash

Two Words.... Build Tent....

man my list is way shorter then this. i got to buy foam board when i get there. but im not able to bring supplies like that. im still pretty new. just hoping to get a few plane up and learn alot.hope people bring extra stuff lol

I suspect lots of folks are bringing extra stuff, I unfortunately had to draw the line at my HAKO soldering station, I was gonna go overweight if I brought it... I don't think there is anything we need that at least a dozen people didn't already pack, the trick will be to find them....:confused:

Remember there are so many people there, many will drive from home, look for cars that have suspension that is sagging, they are the ones who did bring the kitchen sink, and packed it full of stuff before they loaded it.....:)

Mytchak

KG5CZA
Some of us are flying with our kitchen sink ;)

I'm bringing my Weller Iron, wire, solder, and an oscilloscope too. You should be well covered. I agree about how to find those resources. I'm volunteering and perhaps the volunteers will get to know who has what and how to find them?

earthsciteach

I'm bringing a soldering iron and helping hands. Anyone is welcome to use them. I'm still unsure of just how much "stuff" I am going to drag along.