Range test broken antenae.

Greg1516

Well, I have joined the Spektrum DX6i broken antennae club. I had my plane in one hand and my radio in the other and my pants were falling down. I tried to catch my pants and dropped my radio. The antennae broke at the joint leaving a piece of wire sticking out. Everything still seemed to work, I went on crashing my Duster trying to get the hang of this new hobby.
But today I took my plane to the gun club where I had a lot of room, and it just fell out of the sky. I'm thinking now that the last 2 inches of antennae wire that is missing has cause this. I was certain that it would effect the range, but I was thinking that it wouldn't limit it to just 100 feet. I never really tested the range before, and I'm sure many of you have broken the antennae, and tested it to see if you could get by until a new one came. Did you experience the same drastic reduction in range, or do I have another problem that really existed before I broke the antennae ?
I still have the top part of it. It really didn't break, just popped out, but the wire broke. Can this be repaired somehow without buying a new one ?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Probably not. The antenna is a very fine piece of coax that needs to be a certain length to generate the correct wavelength. A repair will only serve to shorten that length. Best to replace the antenna.

Greg1516

Thanks Gary,
I thought I would have gotten a lot of DIY repair advice to get me by, or what others have experienced after breaking their own antennae range wise. Why even have it sticking up to easily break off anyway ? It could have been designed to be more robust.
I'm sure it could be, and has been made better by the innovative minds in this hobby.

NewZee

too bad about your radio, once you get it fixed you should think about getting a neck strap? (or a belt)