Remote Rx install, help please

Fujimo

So this is my first build, I have the aura 5 and a remote Rx with the small antennae
Is there a special way to install the antennae.
1.Must the antennae by upright?
Or do you just stick it in a suitable place and tape or hot glue the antennae so that it’s secure.
2.The aura is to be installed flat and level I assume. But in the pic below, does the receiver gonin the aura where I have it positioned?
3. Can I extend the leads of a 35 amp esc, by cutting, soldering and shrink tubing the joints.
The ESC is going to be up in the nacelle behind the motor, but the battery is a little way away.
All help is appreciated!

DC867FBA-25FA-4B29-AE0D-E54369796614.jpeg

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...Must the antennae by upright?...
No the antenna can be in any orientation. If you have a Rx with 2 antennas, they should be 90 degrees apart.

FYI: The antenna is the silver wire at the end. The grey part is the antenna lead. The antenna lead we don't care about, it can be any length, can be bent, burred in carbon fiber.

The antenna we care about, is must be a specific length, it must be fairly straight, keep it away from (1-2 inches) carbon fiber, anything metallic or electronic.

...Or do you just stick it in a suitable place and tape or hot glue the antennae so that it’s secure...
No, keep the antenna free. In a crash, the last thing you want is the Rx being stopped by the antenna. This will likely damage the lead. The damage most likely will occur as the lead passes through the case. It will cause a small nick in the shielding, this lets in unwanted radio signal and will cut your range. This can be repaired by cutting off the damaged part and soldering the lead back onto the Rx.

...Can I extend the leads of a 35 amp esc, by cutting, soldering and shrink tubing the joints...
Yes, you can extend the wires. There is a debate on which is better, to extend the battery side or the motor side. I prefer to extend the battery side. Just one less wire to deal with.

Bricks

Master member
As Merv mentioned you want to be sure the antenna is not blocked in any direction from solid metallic object battery, ESC , servo, carbon, etc.

Fujimo

As Merv mentioned you want to be sure the antenna is not blocked in any direction from solid metallic object battery, ESC , servo, carbon, etc.

So this is on the dornier libelle, it’s a parasol design , o plan to put the Rx in the cockpit, so the motor and esc are above it.
About 3” up and the aura 5 is in the cockpit with the Rx , but it’s at least 2” away from it , with the antennae on the opposite side to the Aura, will that work?
Highly unlikely to be flying the model below me, I guess so the motor wouldn’t block anything would it?

Many thanks

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...will that work?...
For best results place the antenna in a location that always has a clear path the the Tx, line of sight. Foam and fiber glass has no effect of radio signals, but any type of metal (battery, motor, ESC, servos, wires) and carbon fiber will block the signal. Hobby grade Tx have an incredible range, well over 1,000 feet, much farther than you can see it.

If you are not getting that kind of range, something is wrong. Your equipment is damaged, you have done a terrible job of installing the antenna or there is some kind of local interference, like a lot of WiFi.

A buddy of mine recently had trouble with his setup. The plane flew well except when the plane was in a steep bank turn. He had both of his antennas in more or less a vertical position, maybe 25 degrees apart. When the plane was banked both antennas were essentially pointed at the Tx. The weakest part of the signal, out of the top and bottom of the antenna. Think donut, with the antenna parallel to the donut hole, the weakest part of the signal. He moved his antennas, placing one vertical and one parallel to the fuse. Problem solved.

Last edited:

quorneng

Master member
Fuhimo
It does rather depend on how far the battery is from the ESC. No problem at 30 cm but if it get much longer it will start to damage the ESC.
The ESC switches the battery supply to the 3 motor wires very fast and the battery side of the MOSFETs are very sensitive to stray voltages cause by this rapid switching. The ESC will have capacitors to absorb them but the longer the wires the bigger are those voltages. At some point the capacitor will fail from over load, quickly followed by the complete ESC!
The motor wire length has no effect on the ESC but obviously the further away the battery is from the motor the bigger the lost power due voltage drop.

I have a plane where the motor is a whopping 1.3 m from the battery but the ESC is right next to the battery.

Fujimo

Fuhimo
It does rather depend on how far the battery is from the ESC. No problem at 30 cm but if it get much longer it will start to damage the ESC.
The ESC switches the battery supply to the 3 motor wires very fast and the battery side of the MOSFETs are very sensitive to stray voltages cause by this rapid switching. The ESC will have capacitors to absorb them but the longer the wires the bigger are those voltages. At some point the capacitor will fail from over load, quickly followed by the complete ESC!
The motor wire length has no effect on the ESC but obviously the further away the battery is from the motor the bigger the lost power due voltage drop.

I have a plane where the motor is a whopping 1.3 m from the battery but the ESC is right next to the battery.
thanks, thats awesome info!!

Fujimo

Fuhimo

many thanks, i will go through the process, and set it up accordingly!!
many thanks!!