RANT!

ScottSteward

RANT TIME:

So, I'm sitting here, around 2AM (I am a night shift worker so this is when I function) planning on taking my Drominda XL 370 drone out for a few flights in the early morning when the sun comes up. I have not been able to fly much this summer due to multiple reasons I won't get into but I thought it might be nice to go out and enjoy a little open screen FPV.

So, a few weeks ago, I got a new phone. So, I realized...."ahhh.....I need to download the app that goes with this drone so I can do FPV on my phone".

Come to find out, the product is discontinued and I can no longer download the app.

I.........AM..........FRICKEN............DONE!!!!!.............with ANYTHING that is not a scratch or kit build, preferably from Flite Test (along with a few others).

These name brand Hobby Companies, I swear! They rope you into a product, you get attached, then suddenly, it's "discontinued" and you can no longer buy any parts or additional accessories that go along with it. Then out of the blue, they come out with a "new and improved version". Well isn't that just dandy?! I have this nice aircraft sitting in my garage that I can't use and the parts for the "new version" aren't even compatible. So.....I better not crash it (or in the case of a drone lose the apps) because my only option once that happens is to "buy the new one". I'D RATHER REPAIR what you already sold me.

This ticks me off to no end.

Meanwhile, you have a great company/organization like Flite Test who offers free downloadable plans to all of their planes. So even if they discontinue a speed build kit, you can always rebuild and replace.

This is why I'm a loyal Flite Tester. They just make getting into this hobby and STAYING in this hobby user friendly.

These other guys? SCREW EM! I'M DONE!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!

Wait til you learn and understand how those companies are destroying the hobby by backdooring us and siding with government regulation in the name of profits. THEN you will REALLY rant because you will only be able to fly non jail broken DJI products geo fenced to an area shorter then you can throw a stone. Oh yeah and STILL have to buy a new version every year or so because of the same profit over everything business model.

ScottSteward

Wait til you learn and understand how those companies are destroying the hobby by backdooring us and siding with government regulation in the name of profits. THEN you will REALLY rant because you will only be able to fly non jail broken DJI products geo fenced to an area shorter then you can throw a stone. Oh yeah and STILL have to buy a new version every year or so because of the same profit over everything business model.

I'm no newbie to this hobby. So, I'm definitely aware.

ScottSteward

Just a minor counter rant.. Feeling just as disgusted with it all as many are hehehe

Yeah, it's all a money grab. Just give me a kit or some plans and I'll build the daggumed thing myself. It's half the fun in this hobby anyway.

No more buying "the new big thing" for me.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I learned that lesson back in the 70's when I went to vocational school to learn diesel mechanics and built my first race car engine by age 17 hehe. Production stuff is OK for base idea but I can always make it better. Now that I think about it I should have never left that mechanical scene or at least got right back into it after the Navy.

At least I can get my speed fix from my quad builds for now.

Bricks

Master member
Might be a blessing in disguize as parts break replace with better parts as far as the FPV goes I would beleive a set of goggles will work which eventually you would want any way as phones kinda suck for FPV, at least in my opinion.

Timmy

Legendary member
Yeah, it's all a money grab. Just give me a kit or some plans and I'll build the daggumed thing myself. It's half the fun in this hobby anyway.

No more buying "the new big thing" for me.
The entire world is a money grab. Everyone wants money and always wants more. I'm surprised flite test isn't like that! They are the only company/organization that is still focused on people first.

Dunfielder

Yes it sucks that stuff gets discontinued. But that is not a hobby only thing. Eventually you can't get parts for your 92 chevy corsica because it has gone the way of the dodo. Trying to fix your VCR, not happening. Tech changes. But I feel your pain. My cousin bought an RC boat a few years back. He broke the prop and was unable to get a replacement. The boat was shelved after one day. That is sad.