Rc aerobatic plane discussion on wings

SSgt Duramax

If that is what you want, I would think your set up will work fine as well as power. It will also give you more low end thrust as your plane will be a tad heavier made out of cardboard, that could do nothing but help. I ran an 8x6 prop on a 600g plane before with that motor, and it was a ground hugger until it got up to speed.

Thanks all....one last query.....Can i maybe make my body out of 3d penned plastic ( handmade ) using this :-

1645674237166.png

pls tell

Attachments

• 1645674229568.png
    1645674229568.png
    33.2 KB · Views: 0

danskis

Master member
@Coderteam1 - from the picture of your test wing it looks like you are bending the material against the grain. That type of cardboard has an easy way and stiff way to bend it. Turn the grain ninety degrees and see if it gives you a better, smoother shape. This will give you a better airfoil.

Thanks for the advice but i saw it after i added changes to my new wing....basically added a bamboo stick i found out there, cut it to lenght.....made a whole slit in front added it with feviqwik and secured cardboard in plane together and added a line of masking tape so the aerodynamic efficiency is retained ( whatever that is )

Ill send pics later...

JetCrafts

Hi there...i have a fear that my first plane won't be what i expect...i want to ask if this type of wing will be Good enough to do aerobatics with a body like this ( needs to be scaled by 2 ). I'll be posting pics of my half completed wing and design

chord specifications---12 cm length,2.5 cm height and 34cm wing length for one side

View attachment 219905 View attachment 219906 View attachment 219907
by any chance do you live in India ( cause you're using a flipkart cardboard just asking)

Thanks for the advice but i saw it after i added changes to my new wing....basically added a bamboo stick i found out there, cut it to lenght.....made a whole slit in front added it with feviqwik and secured cardboard in plane together and added a line of masking tape so the aerodynamic efficiency is retained ( whatever that is )
Ill send pics later...

here it is
Photo-1 (3).jpeg

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Before I discovered FT, I use a lot of cardboard in my planes. A cardboard plane will fly just as well as a foamboard plane will. The foamboard plane will have a better finish and look better.

The motor & prop you mentioned will work well.

You will be much better off using a known design as your first plane. Something like the Tiny Trainer. It will be much easier for us to give you advice if you are flying a plane we are all familiar with.

Learn to fly first then build the plane of your dreams.

Your first wing was correct, run the flutes of the cardboard with the span of the wing. Back in the day, I would glue in a small dowel into the flutes for more strength. Place the dowel above and below the spar. It only needs to go half to 2/3's the way out from the wing root.

Last edited:
@
Before I discovered FT, I use a lot of cardboard in my planes. A cardboard plane will fly just as well as a foamboard plane will. The foamboard plane will have a better finish and look better.

You will be much better off using a known design as your first plane. Something like the Tiny Trainer. It will be much easier for us to give you advice if you are flying a plane we are all familiar with.

Your first wing was correct, run the flutes of the cardboard with the span of the wing. Back in the day, I would glue in a small dowel into the flutes for more strength. Place the dowel above and below the spar. It only needs to go half to 2/3's the way out from the wing root.

@Merv is my current design correct?
i just added a stick to the front after cutting...added with feviqwik...found a lot of smoke coming out of it...any prob

Is my current wing design good for a fast plane as i have 10+ hrs flight sim experience with only 2 crashes

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...is my current design correct?...found a lot of smoke coming out of it...i have 10+ hrs flight sim experience with only 2 crashes
Here are a few resources with basic design guidelines.
https://www.scribd.com/document/147847154/Basic-Rc-Model-Design-Parameters

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/infor...f_model_aircraft/rc_aircraft_design/index.htm

Smoke coming out of your plane is not a good thing. Unless you have a smoke generator.

Flying a simulator it good practice but it not the same as the real thing. For one, the simulator plane is setup perfectly. Every plane I have built has always needed something, some trim, adjustment to throws or CG. I have yet to built the perfect plane.

I'd still recommend starting with a known design. Learn to fly, then build the plane of your dreams.

Here are a few resources with basic design guidelines.
https://www.scribd.com/document/147847154/Basic-Rc-Model-Design-Parameters

http://www.airfieldmodels.com/infor...f_model_aircraft/rc_aircraft_design/index.htm

Smoke coming out of your plane is not a good thing. Unless you have a smoke generator.

Flying a simulator it good practice but it not the same as the real thing. For one, the simulator plane is setup perfectly. Every plane I have built has always needed something, some trim, adjustment to throws or CG. I have yet to built the perfect plane.

I'd still recommend starting with a known design. Learn to fly, then build the plane of your dreams.

Smoke coming when i fixed the bamboo stick inside wing wuth FEVIQWIK ( cyanoacrylate ).....My sim has variables like tail heavy or nose heavy,wind, etc......Flight time is with my Gamepad as i dont have any electronics and my plane has never flown cus only 1 plane is built....

JetCrafts

Smoke coming when i fixed the bamboo stick inside wing wuth FEVIQWIK ( cyanoacrylate ).....My sim has variables like tail heavy or nose heavy,wind, etc......Flight time is with my Gamepad as i dont have any electronics and my plane has never flown cus only 1 plane is built....
thats just chemical reaction nothing happened and I asked if you in India cause I live there too and you're handwriting is really good

Piotrsko

Master member

Depending on cardboard, you can use music wire or weld rod inside the flutes with a snug fit. Plane called the cardboard box, 50 years ago did this with 6 wires on a 2 meter wing.

SSgt Duramax

Why use nice, expensive glue on cardboard when cheap wood glue or school glue would do the trick, probably better in this case.

telnar1236

Elite member
Another possibility for a simple wing is something like a KF step airfoil or one of the KF series. They are easy to build and work well, but are not as pretty as a standard airfoil. It seems unlikely that you will be able to hit 100 mph (or want to) with this plane, but 60 km/hr (1 km/min, 37 mph) should definitely be achievable.