Rc aerobatic plane discussion on wings

Hi there...i have a fear that my first plane won't be what i expect...i want to ask if this type of wing will be Good enough to do aerobatics with a body like this ( needs to be scaled by 2 ). I'll be posting pics of my half completed wing and design

chord specifications---12 cm length,2.5 cm height and 34cm wing length for one side

16455851996311178882860585018252.jpg
16455852657013132340708264514505.jpg
16455853166048355913359875004750.jpg

Last edited:

Flightspeed

Convicted Necroposter
Hi there...i have a fear that my first plane won't be what i expect...i want to ask if this type of wing will be Good enough to do aerobatics with a body like this ( needs to be scaled by 2 ). I'll be posting pics of my half completed wing and design

chord specifications---12 cm length,2.5 cm height and 34cm wing length for one side

View attachment 219905 View attachment 219905 View attachment 219906 View attachment 219907
Do you have access to foamboard? I know people have built planes out of cardboard. And if this is your first airplane you don’t want something capable of areobatics. Something that flies slow and predictable is going to get you the skill you need to do areobatics. Also for your first plane you might have more luck building from plans rather than designing your own. There’s a lot of Flitetest plans here https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/sp0nz-plans-index.17136/

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I agree with Flightspeed that an aerobatic plane is not very good for a first plane. It is also best to build off of someone else's plans for a first build so that you can learn different build techniques and rules of building.
If you have access to foam board it would be better than cardboard as a building material imo.
I would also go on YouTube and watch the flite test beginner series so that you can gain some knowledge of planes and how they work before even trying to design, build, or fly your own.
This is the first video in the beginner series and it is about how to choose your first plane. It does focus a bit on prebuilt planes, but it also has a lot of information that you should be using even when picking a plane to build.

I have watched the whole beginner series and have 7 hrs of flight in flight sim doing solely aerobatics like inverted flying barrel roll and loops so i was asking if this type of wing will be fast enough....this is my second plane as first one i made i dont have electronics so a just glided it in my house and after 100 glides and landing on nose it broke....so will it be fast enough?

SSgt Duramax

What you ask is dependent on control surfaces, but yes, a symmetric air foil will perform as well inverted as not.

I say go for it. It is just cardboard.

Do you have access to foamboard? I know people have built planes out of cardboard. And if this is your first airplane you don’t want something capable of areobatics. Something that flies slow and predictable is going to get you the skill you need to do areobatics. Also for your first plane you might have more luck building from plans rather than designing your own. There’s a lot of Flitetest plans here https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/sp0nz-plans-index.17136/

I dont have acces to foamboard in myplace but cardboard i have access.....

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
It looks like that airfoil could actually be quite draggy, but the power system will most likely have more of an effect on the speed of the plane than the aerodynamics of the airfoil anyways. Also, I agree that cardboard will probably begin to crease and break up before it gets too fast, so it is far from the best material for a plane that will have to handle a lot of stress (like an aerobatic or speed plane).
Instead of an admin wing, I'd actually try a variation of a KF airfoil. They should be simpler, lighter, possibly even more aerodynamic, and maybe better flying than what you have currently. If you can use a piece of wood as a spar it should be quite strong as well. This won't be performing as well as something more "proper" but it should be more than flyable if the rest of the plane is done right.

Can it go Like 1 KM per mintue? like if i make my plane using cardboard as i can use that only...our country doesnt have foamboard...so can it go like 1 km per min @Ketchup

My planned setup is

a 2212 motor brushless with a dual prop 1045 prop
a 3 cell 2200 mah battery
single plane made from cardboard
weight will be approx 1 kg something....will my plane go up to enough speed to perform aerobatics like loops and barrel roll or will it stall out

Last edited:

quorneng

Master member
Coderteam1
Speed alone does not perform aerobatics.
For instance to do a loop you have to pull up to the vertical, this increases the g force on the plane so the plane has to create more lift, a minimum of twice as much. A wing can only create so much lift before it stalls and looses a lot of lift. If your wing is already close to what it can generate flying straight and level due to its weight it will never be able to pull up hard enough to execute a loop.
You need both a good power to weight and an efficient wing with sufficient area for aerobatics.
For an efficient wing you need to get as close as you can to the classic aerofoil shape like this.
Clarky.JPG

Not easy in corrugated cardboard but it would make a big difference if you got rather closer than your current one.
Rather than wrap the cardboard around to create a leading edge you might do better to use separate top and bottom surfaces.
Something like this.
Cardboardwing.jpg

With a reasonably efficient wing your motor and prop should be quite sufficient.
Do you have access to a smaller lighter battery say 1500 mAh 3s?
Just some thoughts off the top of my head.

Coderteam1
Speed alone does not perform aerobatics.
For instance to do a loop you have to pull up to the vertical, this increases the g force on the plane so the plane has to create more lift, a minimum of twice as much. A wing can only create so much lift before it stalls and looses a lot of lift. If your wing is already close to what it can generate flying straight and level due to its weight it will never be able to pull up hard enough to execute a loop.
You need both a good power to weight and an efficient wing with sufficient area for aerobatics.
For an efficient wing you need to get as close as you can to the classic aerofoil shape like this.
View attachment 219920
Not easy in corrugated cardboard but it would make a big difference if you got rather closer than your current one.
Rather than wrap the cardboard around to create a leading edge you might do better to use separate top and bottom surfaces.
Something like this.
View attachment 219921
With a reasonably efficient wing your motor and prop should be quite sufficient.
Do you have access to a smaller lighter battery say 1500 mAh 3s?
Just some thoughts off the top of my head.
Thanks for this Answer...Just what i needed....but will have to build wing again now....BTW....how will i attatch ailerons over this and should they be seperate or some parte cut from the wing.....

I think i shall try with this wing first and if it does not fly then ill go for the clark y airfoil.... as for batteries
Nope....Only batteries which are under 1000 inr and have more mah

quorneng

Master member
You can certainly add ailerons onto the wing trailing edge for simplicity.
An aileron in a wing cut out (Barn Door type) is only likely to be a benefit on a wing that is already pretty efficient.

Ligbaer

50 Percenter

View attachment 219905 View attachment 219906 View attachment 219907
have you flown anything before? like a high wing trainer because it would be a much better option, if you want something that looks fast but isnt do the old speedster (the big one not the small one

SSgt Duramax

My planned setup is

a 2212 motor brushless with a dual prop 1045 prop
a 3 cell 2200 mah battery
single plane made from cardboard
weight will be approx 1 kg something....will my plane go up to enough speed to perform aerobatics like loops and barrel roll or will it stall out @Ketchup @SSgt Duramax @Flightspeed

That should go about 1km/minute, no where near 100mph.

Look at the FT 3D for ideas to meet your goal. It is very aerobatic.

Also planning to download plans of mustang and print em and then use the body of the p51......Yeah i need something which looks scary and fast but is kind of like a medium speed.....One i can do dogfights and scenery cams with...