RC Lola from Agents of SHIELD

Beech/run24

Having kept up with my favorite t.v. series Marvel Agents of SHIELD, the idea occurred to make a functional model of an aerial vehicle from that show. I thought it best to start small and wait to do something bigger, so I decided on Lola, the flying Corvette.
Lola car.jpg

My plan is to find an identical plastic model and modify it's pieces to fit all the necessary components before assembly. I will for sure be using four boom-mounted motors and propellers attached to the sides.
As for what battery, remote, or receiver to use, I was hoping to get some tips or ideas from any of you.

I am determined to pull of one achievement from this exciting passion, and this is perfect for a first! I'm really eager to get started.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
That is right along the lines of the flying DeLorean that was made using a quad base years and years ago. I like the girl in AoS but I would prefer the Vette in the original Heavy Metal movie with the Tarakian at the wheel and not the girls father.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Gulp, I wish you well friend in this endeavor. Are you intending to make it drive as a car as well?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
You would have to give us a rough scale you want to work in so we can take a guess at weight and boom widths and motor power.

The flying DeLorean used pusher props that were under the car and had 4 pegs underneath to use as landing feet.

And this one form a different person based on the same model.

Beech/run24

Scale and electronics.

I may get a plastic model around 6 3/4in. long.
Hopefully it won't have to have as many electronics as the Delorean! It looks like a hefty design.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
ya that would be cool! I am soooo close to getting my parents to take me to flite fest west next year.:D Long time away, but ima gonna start planing anyways.
It's good to plan. Make sure your working with them and not badgering them (me speaking as a parent). Perhaps you could ask them what you would need to do in order to make Flite Fest a reality. Be patient, listen to their concerns, and work with them.

liamnave

flyboy
ya, hopefully im not badgering. The thing is my parents have a lot on there plate with a lot of kids and a lot of events and stuff, whitch is why I'm bringing up the subject of FF so early. Anyways if I where to do a Sci-fi bulid, what should it be? I could do a helicopter with a TARDIS body, or maybe a bat plane, tho that isent really sci-fi

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
It's good to plan. Make sure your working with them and not badgering them (me speaking as a parent). Perhaps you could ask them what you would need to do in order to make Flite Fest a reality. Be patient, listen to their concerns, and work with them.

If that don't work make an R.C. Chucky doll with glowing led eyes that runs on Roomba vacuum cleaner programming for how to navigate rooms. That should motivate them. :p All you'd have to do is suggest Ohio as a Chucky free zone!!!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I like the sound of Flite Test Flight Fest Psyborgonian Edition.

Events like The MT Morris Dam dive competition. The Letchworth Trestle Run using FPV wings custom built over the year for the design build off. Using FT Guinea Pigs and playing pin the tail on REAL balloons that fly over the gorge. A scavenger hunt in the park where various sponsored parts have been set up with each station having a specific part of a build. The builder takes the first part they find and moves to the next area. Then builds something with the mix matched parts they gathered in the AM for a PM show and tell where the maidens, over all creativity, function , and design will be judged and voted on.

Camping and swimming all done right there in Letchworth Park. Vendors who have sponsored the parts for the scavenger hunt to be there representing and supporting their gear. Maybe an evening concert or two as well. Then a huge bonfire with special guests for story telling and general RC talks on specific topics or builds. Then at the end gear auctions for things people no longer use where the proceeds are donated to FT Stem to build that up even further.

Stefan.... This is just fantasy but feel free to incorporate any of these ideas into any FF you guys do

Beech/run24

The plan...

So, I finally got the model I've been looking for.
IMG_20170720_125123.jpg
What I've decided to do is use replacement parts of a (nearly) whole drone. I'm beginning to look at Ethos QX 75 from Ares hobby. Its motors are mounted on long "booms" that can be screwed onto the model's chassis. The control board and battery could fit in the trunk and engine compartment.
All it needs now is a compatible radio controller. How would I be able to find one?

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I just looked up that Etho's I think that will struggle to get that body shell in the air let alone the driver compartment and other details. Also with that being brushed motors you are more then likely to kill a few motors trying to balance and test fly the project if it happens to be strong enough to get it off the ground. I would seriously start out by weighing all the parts you wish to use BEFORE tearing down a new quad to work with.

An example for the power to weight is my Gremlin. WAY stronger components and I was flying at 180g which is pretty much the limits for that particular power pack. I do not think a brushed set up could remotely meet that power to weight ratio which I think you will be close or even exceed for this project.