LitterBug

Techno Nut
Waiting for the big BOOM at the end.... A decent yard sale by skiing standards, but where is the kaBooM?

Kaboom.jpg

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Some more flight testing of my starship, this time with a more spectacular 'landing' :)

The final crash aside that flew amazingly stable even with reversed controls. I would keep moving forward with this to completion mate. Make that level of flight a touch more smooth and make it repeatable. That is after all the focus of the real project renewable sustainable space craft.

It also proves your flight controller to be a functional option for other pilots projects with minimal adaptation and fiddling.

Might also want to hook up with Daniel @rctestflight on you tube. He also does a lot of cool stuff in line with what you do. I think you guys could make a great team putting your knowledge and skills into one ring.

https://www.youtube.com/c/Stratus-productions/videos

NickRehm

Thanks guys, I've got this project on hold for the time being so I can catch up on other things. But will definitely be coming back to it with some new ideas. I'm really interested in a stacked superheavy vehicle configuration, but am waiting on more info to be released from spacex before I commit to a design for that

L Edge

Master member
It is really amazing if you change the shape of the object(round) to be launched, it really adds to the equation. Some years ago, made a Sidewinder missle that stated to be VTOl capable. Made one and explored its environment and found out it was out of control in winds and once in a great while if pilot was lucky, it landed and stuck. Then saw this video. Froze a frame and had to do my own scaling down.

Result, if flew like this one(minus flames) and with proper throttle control and axis direction, became a VTOL. Now bad feature, add wind and it didn't perform as a VTOL.. Hope RCjetflyer2 can come up with some change to accomplish the mission.

NickRehm

I made one of those a while back as well. Fun little 3d plane disguised as a VTOL rocket.
The cross sectional area will always pose a challenge hovering/landing in wind without sideward thrusters toward the nose to keep the orientation vertical. Hmmm...

L Edge

Master member
I made one of those a while back as well. Fun little 3d plane disguised as a VTOL rocket.
The cross sectional area will always pose a challenge hovering/landing in wind without sideward thrusters toward the nose to keep the orientation vertical. Hmmm...

I don't see why a 4 motor/blades drone handles vertical and move around motion. The tardis is an example:

To land, set up a thruster set( 2) like a bi-copter in the bottom of the Tardis so that nozzles swizzle to keep bottom perpendicular to ground into wind when landing.. Collect air fron under the four props and funnel to both nozzles. Use servos to open/close to provide thrust if powerful enough. Otherwise provide souce by using pressurized liter bottle.

I used my thrusters by preventing rotation of the vertical jet trying to hover. Picked up airflow behind fans and routed it out to end of wings.
Did not have enough flow to hold it steady. Video shows it stable from rocking and only a short timespan in hovering.

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?search/351974/&q=thrusters&c[users]=L+Edge&o=relevance