Receiver question

Sly Fox

Question, for an airplane that has elevons (i.e.), can you use a 3 channel receiver or do you still need a 4 channel?

Foamforce

Question, for an airplane that has elevons (i.e.), can you use a 3 channel receiver or do you still need a 4 channel?

I’ve never seen a 3 channel receiver, but it ought to work since you’re only controlling two servos and the throttle. I have a couple planes with elevons. I have a couple FT Deltas and a Halfpipe. All of them only use three of the outputs from the receiver.

Do you actually have a three channel receiver?

Foamforce

Oh hey, I see that ground receivers are three channel. I was just looking at the FlySky FS-GR3E. I was interested because you can get them in five packs for $35. I was reading up on the difference, and apparently the big difference (besides being only three channel) is that they have much shorter range. I‘m still a little interested, because they might work in my smaller planes since I fly those a lot closer in, but if I lost signal and wrecked one, I’d probably feel bad for saving $7. Hmm.

Sly Fox

Oh hey, I see that ground receivers are three channel. I was just looking at the FlySky FS-GR3E. I was interested because you can get them in five packs for $35. I was reading up on the difference, and apparently the big difference (besides being only three channel) is that they have much shorter range. I‘m still a little interested, because they might work in my smaller planes since I fly those a lot closer in, but if I lost signal and wrecked one, I’d probably feel bad for saving $7. Hmm.

The flysky FS-A3 is a 3 channel for airplanes. I seenthis and was wondering. https://www.flysky-cn.com/a3-canshu

Foamforce

Nice! They claim the same range as the FS-IA6B. The disadvantages are no RSSI (signal strength meter) and no PPM (which is useful for gyros). The advantages are cheaper (4 pack for $38!) and lighter (6g vs 10g). Tempting!

Inq

Elite member

@Sly Fox , @Foamforce ,

Might want to confirm... I believe those 3 channel ones are for car/boat. At one time, I thought it was illegal to use them in aircraft. I also heard they are not compatible with the typical RC airplane transmitters (2 joy stick). That they only work on the steering wheel transmitters. I think they intentionally made them work on different bands just for the FCC regulations. Can't tell by your bio's... where you live. If you're not in the USA, then this doesn't apply to you.

I use these in all my Mini/micro builds. 4 channel, <1g, $10.00 when on sale. So far they have been reliable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BRKVVNLH/?tag=lstir-20
I use these in all my Mini/micro builds. 4 channel, <1g, $10.00 when on sale. So far they have been reliable.

:eek: THEY GO ON SALE for $10!!!??? Now, I see that they are! THANKS.

Foamforce

Might want to confirm... I believe the 3 channel ones are for car/boat. At one time, I thought it was illegal to use them in aircraft. I also heard they are not compatible with the typical RC airplane transmitters (2 joy stick). That they only work on the steering wheel transmitters. I think they intentionally made them work on different bands just for the FCC regulations.

I was researching that yesterday and it appears that when the switch was made to 2.4ghz, the differences disappeared. The FS-A3 (that luvmy40 found) isn’t advertised as being a “ground receiver”, while the GR3E is. The main difference is the advertised range.

Last edited:
Reactions: Inq

Foamforce

I have one of the and I love how light it is. I like the price you found here! The only issue I have with mine is that it appears to have RSSI, but the signal coming back from the receiver is very weak, so it goes from a signal level of 10 to no signal. My transmitter’s low signal alarm is always beeping. I just need to turn it off. Did yours have that problem?

luvmy40

Elite member
I have one of the and I love how light it is. I like the price you found here! The only issue I have with mine is that it appears to have RSSI, but the signal coming back from the receiver is very weak, so it goes from a signal level of 10 to no signal. My transmitter’s low signal alarm is always beeping. I just need to turn it off. Did yours have that problem?
Not so far.

Inq

Elite member
I was researching that yesterday and it appears that when the switch was made to 2.4ghz, the differences disappeared. The FS-A3 (that luvmy40 found) isn’t advertised as being a “ground receiver”, while the GR3E is. The main difference is the advertised range.

Well my info was from the '80s. I keep seeing those cheaper Flysky ones and had discounted getting them because of "old data". Now I know that I don't have to. Thanks.

Inq

Elite member
I use these in all my Mini/micro builds. 4 channel, <1g, $10.00 when on sale. So far they have been reliable. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BRKVVNLH/?tag=lstir-20

I pulled the trigger on a pair of those! Thanks.

These will be perfect for smaller models like FT MM DR-1 Triplane, etc.

I see it has only the one antenna and I know the twin antenna versions (when set 90 degree from each other) can have a far longer range. Are you noting any range limitations? For a mini DR-1 I wouldn't be flying that far away, but if I put the same receiver in say a sailplane that might be a longs ways off.

Foamforce

I pulled the trigger on a pair of those! Thanks.

These will be perfect for smaller models like FT MM DR-1 Triplane, etc.

I see it has only the one antenna and I know the twin antenna versions (when set 90 degree from each other) can have a far longer range. Are you noting any range limitations? For a mini DR-1 I wouldn't be flying that far away, but if I put the same receiver in say a sailplane that might be a longs ways off.

Yeah, I put my mini receiver in a halfpipe, and that helped me get the weight really low for that.

I did a range test at my field, and judging by Google maps, it looks like it was about 600 feet. That’s nowhere near what I get from my FS-IA6Bs, but it’s as far as I ever fly with any of my smaller planes. It gets difficult to see the little ones at that distance.