Reinforcing the Tiny Trainer

DrDiff

I have watched the Video on the Tiny Trainer now about 20 times. No where does Josh mention taking a wooden skewer and gluing it to the tail skid of the plane.

I know that the pane belly lands but my thought is that the skewer will help increase the life of the plane.

I was also thinking about reinforcing the alerons on the 4 channel wing by holding them fully open and a thin bead of glue and scrape most of it off. Not unlike the way they reinforce the rudder and elevatorhinges.

Anyone else do this?

kacknor

Build another!
There is a little nub of foam under the vertical stab that, on mine, has a little wear on it. I've many flights on my build. It seems, at least with mine, it doesn't make much difference. I added packing tape along the bottom of the nose section. That's where the wear occurs.

JD

Last edited:

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
Yes you also can make the ailerons a tad shorter and have more room for the rubber bands. I Added a spruce spar to my acrobatic wing because I folded the first one. However there is now no dihedral because I did not design that into the spars.

airhawk

Crashing Ace
the tiny trainer is a modding platform so if somethings left out its the communities job to put it in im building mine today never thought of it until the build guide but it should help improve some of my building skills for when i build my sportster this winter

guitchess

The area that I seemed to damage the most was the nose and the wing mount holes/pegs. I solved it by placing a 3/4 x 1/16 layer of pine, with the holes for the puff and wing skewers, on each side of the fuse. This kept me from having to rebuild every time I noise planted it. Just popped in a new power pod and i was good to go.

Last edited:

kacknor

Build another!
I'll add a longer support stick on the trailing edge of the wing for the rubber bands, and another two under the wing to prevent the foam in front of the support stick from buckling under the stress of the bands. This has happened on my Bushwacker also.

I'll second the shorter ailerons to make room for the rubber bands, the extra support for the front section around the peg holes and the extra strength in the wing.

There are two of these in my hanger and between them have seen similar situations. If I build a third, which is likely since the design matches my weak flying skills, these (or similar) mods will be used. OTOH, if your build has progressed past the point of incorporating them, forget it until next time and just fly!

JD

Last edited:

DrDiff

I am waiting for the Flight Pack to get here. But can't order it for two weeks, this check went for the plane.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
The area that I seemed to damage the most was the nose and the wing mount holes/pegs. I solved it by placing a 3/4 x 1/16 layer of pine, with the holes for the puff and wing skewers, on each side of the fuse. This kept me from having to rebuild every time I noise planted it. Just popped in a new power pod and i was good to go.

I reinforced this same area with some plastic gift cards - very helpful. I'm on my my second power pod (and really need to build #3) but the body is holding together well.

Also, I did long thin slice of bamboo skewer to keep the tail up also because my elevator was getting beat up too much dragging in the weeds and rocks. Planning to rebuild the back end soon and try 1/2 ounce fiberglass covering for strength back there.

geneb

You might want to just tape or glue skewers to the leading edges of the horizontal stab.