Retro Rocket EDF Thrust Vectoring for 70mm

Retro Rocket EDF Thrust Vectoring for 70mm 1.8

Please log in to download

johnbecker31

johnbecker31 submitted a new resource:

Retro Rocket EDF Thrust Vectoring for 70mm - Thrust Vectoring Unit

The nozzle will print without support. The Thrust Tube requires support around the servo mounts.
I printed with PLA, 100% infill.

You will need to wet sand the ball-joint surfaces. I started with 400 grit, and worked my way up to 3000 grit. This makes for a smooth friction-less joint.

You will probably need to sand to fit your EDF. I used a dremel drum bit to ream it out to a perfect friction fit. I did not need to glue to the EDF.

I mounted the unit in a v-tail formation due to...

Read more about this resource...

johnbecker31

I’d like to see Josh and crew implement this into one of theirs in a future video.
I designed this after Josh issued a challenge to the community to create an EDF Thrust Vectoring Unit. I have no idea if it will win the challenge, but the plan is for them to promote the use of the device of whoever wins, at FF 2024. its a great design, and a very simple one to print and assemble. Let me know of you need any assistance getting it working.

johnbecker31

johnbecker31 updated Retro Rocket EDF Thrust Vectoring for 70mm with a new update entry:

Retro Rocket EDF Thrust Vectoring for 70mm

I would like to give a special thank-you to @SP0NZ for helping with design changes, and testing the fit of the new Thrust Tube. (not to mention, letting me borrow his pictures to post here)

The new files are specifically designed to fit the FT Store purchased EDF. This version does not require glue, and will snap-lock into position, forming a secure connection to the EDF.

Also, the tolerances have been improved to allow for an almost friction-less joint, only requiring...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Mr.Grinch

I'm printing a second setup this evening, the first one split at the layer lines about 1/2" up on the nozzle when mounting to the thrust tube. I will try increasing temps and try another in PETG. Considering how tight the fit is, would a relief split on the nozzle side benefit the installation process? Perhaps 3 - 120 degrees out?

johnbecker31

I'm printing a second setup this evening, the first one split at the layer lines about 1/2" up on the nozzle when mounting to the thrust tube. I will try increasing temps and try another in PETG. Considering how tight the fit is, would a relief split on the nozzle side benefit the installation process? Perhaps 3 - 120 degrees out?
if after sanding the ball joint, the fit is still too tight, you could probably dremel a relief or split in the nozzle side. I do not think that would change the overall functionality.

Mr.Grinch

if after sanding the ball joint, the fit is still too tight, you could probably dremel a relief or split in the nozzle side. I do not think that would change the overall functionality.
I have not yet been successful in getting this to work, each variation has split (even with a relief) when installing except for the PETG-CF, however I need to dry it before printing again because it came out very stringy. I'll try with regular PETG and ABS as well, I really want to have at least one functional before FF.

johnbecker31

I have not yet been successful in getting this to work, each variation has split (even with a relief) when installing except for the PETG-CF, however I need to dry it before printing again because it came out very stringy. I'll try with regular PETG and ABS as well, I really want to have at least one functional before FF.
Which printer do you have? And have you downloaded the latest files? I have gcode for my Ender 5 plus to print PLA if that is compatible with your setup.

Mr.Grinch

I've been printing on a Prusa Mk3, Sovol SV06 and two Voron V0's. The PLA I tried was some cheaper stuff, so I might use a "better" PLA at an even higher temp.

I am using the latest files you posted.