Rotor Riot - Chad's NEW SHOW!!

Julez

WOT and going nowhere
My take on this.....To me, you are doing FT a disservice. If you want you're own channel. Get off FT. Loyalty is loyalty. Flame-suit on..
But this hobby isn't like other business industry areas. There's no 'stealing loyalty' from other brands, at least not in this sense (Considering that Chad is one of the creators and a longtime friend of FT). Flite Test themselves have promoted Rotor Riot, so while you might consider it bad practice, I think most everyone else (Flite Test included) would want to be welcoming and supportive. The people creating this show are people who are active contributors to this amazing community and the hobby in general.

Last edited:

airhawk

Crashing Ace
FT isn't taking their content to performance level any time soon i get that multirotors are new but we have to accept them this and Flite Test are linked but are not the same thing and think of it we wouldnt be talking if it wasn't for chad i understand your concern but please be more open towards change in the hobby this is not an attack on you its just a friendly conversation
Thanks
-Airhawk

airhawk

Crashing Ace
100% agree with Juelz FT is not a business its a family a family thats willing to evolve further than gas and balsa planes

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
Teaser Trailer

Hi Guys!

Sorry I haven't been to this thread in a couple weeks. We've had few setbacks... but today we released the teaser trailer to give everyone a taste of what's to come...

Hey Chad(s), here's a show idea for you...

Take four mini quads.

Bolt them to a large X frame as the "rotors".

In the end you could control each of them from a fifth central brain, taking the ESC output from it and feeding it into the throttle channel of the four "arms". That would be an interesting exercise... but first...

Get each member of Rotor Riot to pilot an arm. And see if they can make it hover.

GO
Thanks for the suggestion. We'll definitely be having some fun challenges coming up!

My take on this.....To me, you are doing FT a disservice. If you want you're own channel. Get off FT. Loyalty is loyalty. Flame-suit on..

We are on a separate channel. But I'm still quite loyal to FT.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Best line of the trailer:

"Incompatible recreational activities." :-D

guitchess

They came up with something special when Chad and the guys created Flite Test, and by the looks of these first releases, they may have done it again.

I hope they have an easy way to bleep though. Mr. Steel suffers from the same bad habit as me. Maybe that is what delayed the debut. Lol

mdmccat

Dam! I bleeping loved that first bleeping episode. Can't wait to get more of this bleep. You got the best bleeping pilots and I can't bleeping wait to bleeping learn some new bleep. Chad your are bleeping, bleep to bleep, bleep and I bleeping thank you for that. Love and respect brother.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Soo.. I just came across this as I had no Idea of its existence. (I refuse to touch facebook or social media in general) but am currently checking out the YT channel and the vids that are already up.
I think its pretty cool thing that could evolve into something as popular as FT. That being said I see all the vids with perfect flying and I KNOW they are not all first takes. How about boxing all the remnant's from crashed quads (obviously working parts) and maybe doing an "Out of the box" build and fly challenge between one of the hosts and maybe a current guest that's on the show? Or save the parts and do a monthly episode of repurposing things as we all tend to do with this hobby.

Take the boys out of their flight bag and put them into engineering mode and make them build a robot or something weird for a specific purpose. For example a robotic arm that would have to balance objects using the FC gyros to stabilize the balancing and motors and gears or linkages to move things around just for an off the top of my head spontaneous idea. Make them think and not just rely on all their efforts for learning to fly. Then have them explain what they did to make it work and why it actually did work for instance how to use an FC on a non flying object to complete a certain task requiring balance and stability.

Or maybe even use their flight experience and challenge them to make an underwater vehicle run off a flight controller thru the usb interface to show how the software makes the FC work. ( Importance of and function of pids)

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
Just catching up on this thread. I'm popping in here about once a week at this point.

Here is a playlist of the episodes if anyone wants to catch up. Be forewarned there is some language (it is bleeped)...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXKJ80BTT1lYlhtCW415kYE6QZ4gDO-EL

Keep the comments coming. All the input is appreciated and helps shape what the show becomes.

WelcomeRiot-035.jpg

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Is anyone else missing FGA? We don't even get to read him anymore, now that he's famous.

:p

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
Really been liking the show Chad. Just built my first 250 quad and I'm hooked.

Your logo I'm assuming is based off a 3 bladed prop but it also kind of looks like a tricopter. Any thoughts on custom builds? Maybe a mini Tri build? I feel like I remembered you being pretty fond of Davids tricopters when you were on flitetest. I am working on a "270" sized Tri right now and that had me thinking about it.

Rough prototype here (based on your batbone design):

Great show, look forward to seeing more!

Justin

Last edited:

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Watched a few of the episodes last night, great work Chad! I'm loving the insane flying, but is there any way that we can get more of a "plot"? I'd love to get to know the members of Rotor Riot the same way we got to know Josh, Josh, David, Peter, so on and so forth. Don't get me wrong, it's great content, but I'd like to see it more centralized.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ok Just watched the 180 build video. Learned a bit about weight management and underlying power to weight thinking. I know its a show about top end pilots and gear but it was like watching one of them lame Arnold Swarzeneger Sylvester Stalone type product placement movies. You know where they mention the name then do a zoom in on the product... Its kind of funny but kind of annoying as well.

The format of the show is cool. The personalities of the guys are OK for amateur actors (slightly forced) but they will relax over time. The banter between them is informative and entertaining enough to hold my interest so over all I give it a decent rating worth following after watching all the previous videos.

My ONLY beef with these guys (coming from a car racing environment) is where weight and aerodynamics come into play. They all tout the weight is bahhd mkay mantra yet they insist on putting that over weight brick on everything instead of working with other recording gear that is far less heavy and just as good video not to mention insanely more aerodynamically sound.

I'm sorry using a go pro on a race quad is akin to mounting a bill board to the front of a nitro funny car. Don't get me wrong they seem like awesome cameras but seriously? on a race quad? Kinda detracts from that whole "Professional Pilot" thing and leans toward merchandising sell out. (not a personal attack just a generalization) the only thing missing is the satin jackets with all the company logo's.