Safe Improvised Munitions Contest For Flite Fest 2016

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
If you win, you get the adoration of your fellow RC enthusiasts. This isn't a contest so much as about having fun.

Disclaimer:

Due to the current political and media environment, fireworks and RC are probably not the best idea, as fun as it might be.

We've got a lot of smart members on here, and I think it would be cool to try and come up with some simple and safe ways to replicate things like bombs, rockets, and machine guns for WWI and WWII RC planes.

Requirements would be as follows:

No Pyrotechnics or explosives
Must be safe
Must be used away from people

Keep in mind that we don't want to do anything foolish or dangerous that would give the hobby a black eye. This is about good clean fun.

Maybe we could try and strafe/bomb some foamboard tanks, or try and hit a giant combat plane with some nerf darts.

Ideas on the top of my head right now:

CO2 powered paper cone rockets. If you could get a servo controlled valve, you could easily launch a salvo of paper or nerf darts filled with a little talcum powder for "smoke".

Rubber band machine guns built into the wing of something like the Bloody Baron, or even something purpose built could be pretty darn awesome.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
It's not fireworks that is the problem. According to the AMA safety code:

Not operate model aircraft carrying pyrotechnic devices that explode or burn, or any device which propels a projectile or drops any object that creates a hazard to persons or property.

Exceptions:

• Free Flight fuses or devices that burn producing smoke and are securely attached to the model aircraft during flight.
  • Rocket motors (using solid propellant) up to a G-series size may be used provided they remain attached to the model during flight. Model rockets may be flown in accordance with the National Model Rocketry Safety Code but may not be launched from model aircraft.
  • Officially designated AMA Air Show Teams (AST) are authorized to use devices and practices as defined within the Team AMA Program Document.

I'm guessing paper rockets shouldn't be that "hazardous" though.

Last edited:

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
It's not fireworks that is the problem. According to the AMA safety code:

I'm guessing paper rockets shouldn't be that "hazardous" though.

Yeah, I don't think tubes of paper, nerf darts, foam "bombs" or rubber bands fall into the hazardous category.

Yeah, I don't think tubes of paper, nerf darts, foam "bombs" or rubber bands fall into the hazardous category.

It depends on how you look at it. Paper can cut you. Hit the wrong person with a Nerf dart, and he'll/she'll sue you. Foam bombs could be confused with real bombs, and rubber bands can... well... sting you in the eye, how's that sound? Get the point???

(teasing)

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
It depends on how you look at it. Paper can cut you. Hit the wrong person with a Nerf dart, and he'll/she'll sue you. Foam bombs could be confused with real bombs, and rubber bands can... well... sting you in the eye, how's that sound? Get the point???

(teasing)

Not to mention the clogged arterys from the breakfast bombers episode. Better not fly a storch...

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
So... in my view the "best" way to tackle air to air and air to ground combat for RC is to is IR systems. Basic system have existed for a while and, in my view, someone with more electronics experience than me could probably put together a component system with swap-able modules.

I know parkzone had a system that would disable your opponent's motor for 3 seconds or so to indicate a hit, leaving them in control. I would think it wouldn't be too difficult to adapt that to our gear today, or to use that same system to trigger ground based special effects (fireworks, smoke, fire).

For comparison... I got to do a dogfighting experience in Vegas for my bachelor party. The Extra 300L was equipped with a similar IR system that triggered your opponent's smoke system when you hit them. Trust me... it was a blast even though there were no bullets.

I honestly understand the apprehension around having RC aircraft armed with actual projectiles. Don't get me wrong... I think it would be fun and in a different climate I'd love to be doing FPV air to air combat with 1/4 scale foam warbirds armed with airsoft guns. That is a setup that would be trivial to engineer and would, IMO, be amazingly fun. But if it gets another regulator looking at us like a threat to national security I'm willing to forgo it. The IR seems like a reasonable option.