Scale Build-Off - Dare FW-190

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I was able to participate in a Secret Santa gift exchange this year. I love those because I get to reach out and give to others some things they may want or perhaps have just thought about wanting... Clearly my Secret Santa wanted me to continue on this build as he/she purchased me a shiny new motor for this project.

I have always been a big fan of Tacon motors. They have excellent quality and efficiency. The bearings are exceptional for the price and the specs are identical to eflite equivalent motors.

Attachments

• IMG_2153.JPG
    IMG_2153.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Got back on this tonight. I took the flaps and a picture found on the web. Marked the scale spacing and worked out what scrap wood I would use and where. I used quite a bit of overage on the wood so it could sand away easier. We will see after the glue dries. Cold coming back in so my dry times are longer.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Had some progress this weekend. The flaps are done and the wells have their reinforcements. Those pieces in the wells are light ply, each hand cut and dremeled out to shape. it was a lot of work but its scale. I'll still shape them a bit more for proper fit and finish but you get the idea. This really stiffened the balsa skin so I am no longer worried about how flimsy it was.

Attachments

• IMG_2164.JPG
    IMG_2164.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2165.JPG
    IMG_2165.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2166.JPG
    IMG_2166.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I really like the look of a wing fully sheeted in balsa - it's "classic". Still on my list of stuff to build is a fully sheeted balsa plane which would be either clear-coated or covered with extra thin fiberglass that still shows off the wood underneath.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
For that, I would suggest using sanding sealer. Its similar to WBPU but will not expand the wood or raise the grain after you sand it. This project is getting the WBPU and glass treatment. I'll fill the weave using automotive primer. It will not take much with .5oz cloth and will help keep the weight down.

airhawk

Crashing Ace
My Christmas gift was a nice gulliow messerchmit bf 109 looking forward to building it. Your FW 190 looks great so far.