Scale Build-Off- ParkflyerPlastics 95" span P-40

MT Alex

Wowza! I think I'd prefer a "thumbs up" over a salute for the flyby, but the hand would probably look funny or out of place when at rest with a permanent Fonzie.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Wowza! I think I'd prefer a "thumbs up" over a salute for the flyby, but the hand would probably look funny or out of place when at rest with a permanent Fonzie.

Well, I'm making 2 hands that will be interchangeable. The thumbs up is a good idea... I'll probably use that for the family friendly version. The primary version will be a "friendly" gesture to my buddies on the flight line ;)

wilmracer

Mentor
Moving along over the long weekend. Getting closer to glassing the fuse and while waiting for more filler to cure I started tackling the gear mounts and the horizontal stabilizer.

Attachments

• Web055.jpg
    Web055.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Web056.jpg
    Web056.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Web057.jpg
    Web057.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Web058.jpg
    Web058.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Web059.jpg
    Web059.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Web060.jpg
    Web060.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Web061.jpg
    Web061.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 12

marc60

Well, I thought I made a rather nice scratchbuild look-alike P40, but...
Seeing this.....WOW.
Maybe I have to get my wife out of da house for some weeks too :D
Very beautifull build
Marc

wilmracer

Mentor
Well, I thought I made a rather nice scratchbuild look-alike P40, but...
Seeing this.....WOW.
Maybe I have to get my wife out of da house for some weeks too :D
Very beautifull build
Marc

Lol... I was admiring your build yesterday and thinking to myself that I needed one. There are tradeoffs with models like this. The WOW factor is there, but the the hassle of having to hook up the trailer, drive to a BIG and well maintained field (AMA sanctioned of course ;)) spend 20 minutes unpacking and assembling, and then the pucker factor when it is time to fly. Your model looks the part, flies great, and will probably give you a lot fewer headaches and more overall fun.

wilmracer

Mentor
When you get around to decaling, I could possibly make a nice shark-mouth design.

Thanks. The kit included a pattern for one, and there are a few sites that I know that could cut vinyl decals or masks. I will probably go with masking and airbrushing the finish, at least for the smile, but that is probably a few months away. Lots of time to figure it out.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Lol... I was admiring your build yesterday and thinking to myself that I needed one. There are tradeoffs with models like this. The WOW factor is there, but the the hassle of having to hook up the trailer, drive to a BIG and well maintained field (AMA sanctioned of course ;)) spend 20 minutes unpacking and assembling, and then the pucker factor when it is time to fly. Your model looks the part, flies great, and will probably give you a lot fewer headaches and more overall fun.

If it weren't for those concerns I'd be all over one of these!

wilmracer

Mentor
I'm happy enough with the shaping and smoothing so I went ahead and put two layers of .5oz glass on the fuse. I know as soon as I get primer down there will be plenty of cleanup work to do on the surface anyway, so no point in spending hours chasing every imperfection when it is hard to see them. There will be additional cleanup work and glass work, particularly on the belly, but that needs to wait for the upper surfaces to cure.

The prep work for glassing included sealing the balsa surfaces of both sides of the hatch and cowling and then applying a thick coat of wax to both surfaces. The retaining bolts were installed and the recessed holes were back filled with wax, and the retaining latch was carefully masked off. The glass was then laid out with the bias in the weave at 90* to each other and was laid up using zpoxy finishing resin.

Attachments

• Web062.jpg
    Web062.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Web063.jpg
    Web063.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Web064.jpg
    Web064.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

wilmracer

Mentor
Sure is a big bird. What cloth are you using, it looks pretty fine to me.

This is what I'm using http://thayercraft.com/104.htm

0.56oz/sq yd with a silane finish. From the Thayercraft site:

"Weighing in at only 0.56 oz/sq yard with an end count at 60x52 you'll not find a better RC model cloth anywhere. Style 104 uses ECD 900 1/0 yarn in the warp and ECD 1800 1/0 in the fill and a thickness of 0.0011". "

wilmracer

Mentor
Those are excellent prices too!

Yeah. John Morgan (an amazing builder on another forum) turned me on to thayercraft and I haven't ordered glass from anyone else since. In my very early modeling days I would pick up the 1x1 sq yard hobbico glass from the LHS. I can't imagine glassing a project this size at those prices.

I keep a few weights on hand. The original plans called for 1 layer of .75oz glass but I opted for a bit more strength.

I have a bit of trimming and cleanup to do (and a little bit more glass to lay on the underside) but it looks like glassing will have added just over 4oz to the fuse.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Been following John's builds for awhile now. I was his "advisor" on the SB2C build. He does amazing work that makes mine look like crap. I've consulted with him on my FTFF2015 Sikorsky build and he thinks it can be done. He is an amazing asset to the RC community.

This is sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is my absolute favorite plane, with the B-52 as a close second, and you're doing an amazing job replicating. I would love to build one, except about at a 40-45% scale as I have no where near big enough to build it let alone store it or fly it.

Definitely am subscribing to this.

wilmracer

Mentor
Before cleaning up and starting on the remaining sections needing glass work I decided to cut out the false cockpit deck and test fit the cockpit panels and pilot. So far so good. I want to add more little details but I think it will look good.

Attachments

• Web065.jpg
    Web065.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Web066.jpg
    Web066.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Web067.jpg
    Web067.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Web068.jpg
    Web068.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 6

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Seeing the pilot figure like that is making me think - more seriously than I really should - about doing one of these big birds, mainly so I could get a figure of Wild Bill Kelso (John Belushi from the movie 1941) behind the controls. If I ever crashed it I could say I was just trying to be authentic to the movie.

Lucky for me I've got enough projects and this bird is simply too darn big for any place I can fly, and too big to fit inside my Jeep. Otherwise...!