Scale Foam Scratch Build: Inspired by David, For teaching everyone

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Yup, Split flaps. Not sure whether or not to use separate or a single servo just yet. We will cross that bridge as we get to it. I need an air frame first. The likely answer is separate as the underside of the main wing will be devoted to space for the bomb bay and retractable doors. Lots and lots of work to do left. Thankfully its relatively easy to do. I just have to do it.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Ok, so this is what it looks like. You take your foam piece that is sanded well for surface defects. Apply a generous layer of WBPU (water based polyurethane for those just tuning in) and apply the class cloth over top. Once on the glass will be generally tacked in place. THen go over with your brush and apply WBPU on the top to really get it soaked in and sticking solid. You will want to avoid making the cloth go over or around sharp edges. It just will not go. Once dry trim the excess and BAM!... do the other side. THEN it will be done. Its really not hard. Do another layer or two to MAKE SURE YOU FILL ALL OF THE WEAVE!!! If you dont and you use an acetone-based rattle can paint... you are done. It will melt the foam. You have been warned. The picture shows just the first side application. Both sides are done now and the whole thing needs at least another sealer coat or two before paint. Once I get the wing to this point I will join the two and cut the hatch off.

The nice thing about this process on warbirds is that it adds next to no weight. and prevents the hangar rash and car dings that plague so many foam models. In addition you get this ever so slightly wavy surface area that looks just like the real surface area of metal sheeted warbirds. Now, you can apply several layers of WBPU and sand it back smooth. Thats fine. Some models will require this in areas. Just plan ahead to use this effect where you can. Also, at this point you can lightly sand the area and apply small drops of glue for rivets. The roughed area will allow the rivets to stick and not pop off. Further, the slightly raised bumps from where the sections of the fuselage meet will provide great reference points for panel lines. Sanding smooth will eliminate most of it but you may have some more prevalent than others. Use it to your advantage.

Attachments

• IMG_0129a.jpg
    IMG_0129a.jpg
    623.4 KB · Views: 21

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Got another coat on the fuse yesterday. That was all. Turkey day today so I suspect nothing will get done. I'm grateful for this build!

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=10903

That is exactly what I am using. Really though in this application the lighter the better. The lighter it is the smaller the weave it will be and the less filler you will have to use. If you are doing a hard layup like the one for the gear covers that is the heavy 2oz. stuff. It is more robust but also gives more meat to shape once you are done filling the weave. With this I really dont want to sand too much. Just enough to rough it up a bit to put on some primer for wet sanding.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
WOW! this build got backburnered! Its been a dreadful winter for building in my garage. Too cold and I have gotten distracted with other "indoor" projects. Sadly, this will not be completed in time for David's departure. In the meantime I have:
designed a new plane (not prototyped it yet)
Built another combat foamy
Started the 1/6 scale SE5a
Started the FFVS J-22
acquired and repaired a 36" color plotter
Acquired and repaired a 44" photo printer
Trying to get Epic Dermis off the ground
received two Top flite warbird kits for next to nothing

I need to get back on this one. Who's with me?