Scaled FT plans - available by request

MikeBg

Will the Simple Storch fly at a 75% or 50% decrease in the actual size plans printed out and built? I want to build this plane but it's way to big for where this old handicap man fly's! Thanks 73 Jimmy, ARRL TS, WX9DX

I built Stroch at 75% with no changes to the plans...

P9180123.JPG

The fuselage is too narrow for a standard power pod so I made a hatch to access the electronics.
P9150120.JPG

Here is another build at 75% but with the fuselage widened to fit a standard power pod.

P1280157.JPG

It fly's well if you get everything right, I had to tilt the motor down and right to keep it flying level.
MikeBg

Jan Chakk

Scaling Mini scout for 6mm foam

Hi

I am new to this forum, so let me say Hello ! to all you guys who have contributed tons of very useful information.

I have read through most of the posts in this thread and am interested in building a FT Mini Scout with 6mm foam board. I think the plans (available at FT) are more suitable for 3mm boards and from the build video it appears like that..

My question is by how much should I scale up (0r should I?) the plan to use 6mm foam?

Regards
JanChakk

evan

Hi all, I wanted to share a YouTube tutorial that I just put up on how you can rearrange and reformat and even modify and scale Flite Test plans using the free graphics editor Inkscape. It's a pretty long video, but it explains the problems I had with printing plans the standard way, goes through examples of how I improved the process for myself, and then goes step by step through rearranging the FT Mini Scout plans. I end by talking about how you can use Inkscape to scale plans as well. I hope it's helpful, I'm in the process of putting together an article for it as well. I recommend watching the video over on YouTube itself, in at least 720p, and as full screen as possible, as I didn't anticipate how faint the lines for the plans would appear.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Hi

I am new to this forum, so let me say Hello ! to all you guys who have contributed tons of very useful information.

I have read through most of the posts in this thread and am interested in building a FT Mini Scout with 6mm foam board. I think the plans (available at FT) are more suitable for 3mm boards and from the build video it appears like that..

My question is by how much should I scale up (0r should I?) the plan to use 6mm foam?

Regards
JanChakk

DTFB is 4.7-5mm so you'd need to scale about 15%.

Frido

You're very right Nerdnic.
A and B fold do not fit also.
But I build in polypron. Anyone building in polypron or depron can't use A and B folds cause it got no paper on it. But if they're a bit inventive they will manage as I do.
I build a 50 percent spitfire out of 3 mm polypron yesterday, think I'll make it a glider without motor

Scaling this way could take some of the pressure from you :)

Hi Marc,

I see what you're trying to do. I will try to build a 63 % Storch, since the foamboard thats available in the
Netherlands is 3 mm and 5 mm, at petervanginkel.nl this has paper on it...

So the FT / Dollar tree foam is 3/16 ", this is 4,762 in millimeters, so if I convert a Storch to 3 mm foamboard
it's 63 % and to 5 mm foamboard it's 104 %

The A and B folds should fit or am I wrong ? I'm a total newbe by the way.......

The Spitfire looks great by the way !

Greetz

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
Has any one been able to scale plans to fit the mini pod? I am thinking it is either 60% or 70%... 80% is to big just checked on a print.

ruud

A 60% scaled-down plan will fit the Mighty Mini power pod exactly. That's how I built my Mini FT Spitfire.

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
A 60% scaled-down plan will fit the Mighty Mini power pod exactly. That's how I built my Mini FT Spitfire.

Do you have the mini spitfire plan? That is one that is on my list. It would be awesome to be able to build it. I recoverd some 9g servos from an old airplane, and I have a 5 gram I believe also.. I could have the 5 grab do the ailerons. Basicly we just had to replace our ac unit.. 6k.. so I have 0 cash to build anything.. I can justify 2$ is foam but can't justify 60$ in electronics. :) How does it fly?

FeWolf

FT Bloody Wonder 80%
FT Simple Soarer 80%
I build alot of planes for the kids on my street and would like to cut down of cost to myself alittle, the Bloody Wonder is for me :)

Last edited:

ruud

Do you have the mini spitfire plan? ... How does it fly?

Sorry, I just printed the normal FT Spitfire plan scaled at 60% and manually adjusted the cuts for slots, tabs, etc. Requires a bit of "3d thinking" to figure out what goes where and which way you need to move the cut. I decided to leave the rudder fixed.

It flies just fine. I forgot to build right thrust into mine so it has a bit of a torque roll issue on launch (especially on 3s) but otherwise it is a great plane and handles just like its big brother although it flies relatively faster.

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
Sorry, I just printed the normal FT Spitfire plan scaled at 60% and manually adjusted the cuts for slots, tabs, etc. Requires a bit of "3d thinking" to figure out what goes where and which way you need to move the cut. I decided to leave the rudder fixed.

It flies just fine. I forgot to build right thrust into mine so it has a bit of a torque roll issue on launch (especially on 3s) but otherwise it is a great plane and handles just like its big brother although it flies relatively faster.

It take just like 3 boards? Fixed ridder will actually be good for me because of the number of servos I have available.

Any special reason why you left the rudder fixed? Just wondering. I might give it a shot

ruud

I didn't feel the need for it, there wasn't much room, and was worried the extra weight of the servo might make the plane too tail heavy.