Scaled FT plans - available by request

Heres my 800mm FT Mustang. Only had green poster board. Just have to add my motor and see how it flies.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Christopher14

Driftin' with the wind...
It looks like you landed it upside down and got grass-stains on it. :p Great job! I'll be looking on for a flight report. :D

So much for the green posterboard. Had to remove it to make a hatch for the electronics. I glued the powerpod into the fuesalage and then realized my motor/esc wires needed to be switched, so had to cut it open. Also had to add servo extensions to the elevator/rudder servos. Now has white posterboard and made a black canopy.

Last edited:
image.jpg

Ok so i went ahead and did the maiden on the mustang. Forgot to set my dual rates and expo so it was twitchy but still a blast. Was able to bring it down safely and avoid some water puddles from last nites heavy rain here.
2nd flite....set my dual rates and expo and launched it again....wow what a fun plane. This is only my 2nd plane using ailerons (the other is SPONz baby baron) so I am still getting use to it but now the 3 channel minis are not doing it for me LOL. Well 2nd landing was not as good as my 1st flite and ended up landing in water. Oh well back to cutting foam and start another one. ***editing gopro video of 2nd flite will post later.

https://youtu.be/Cb11pxOQ0Nw

Last edited:
After landing in the water was only able to fly it a couple more times so I built a new one. Gonna try and maiden today.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Maiden was awesome. Had to fight 10-15 mph winds but it flew great. Even brought it down safely. Expecting calm winds this weekend so try to get a video of next flight.

Last edited:

Shannonb1

Anyway to get the FT Racer down to the size of the Mighty Mini Series? I think the wingspan there is 20 to 24 inches depending on the plane. I have extra motors and esc's that i would like to use for a few more minis. I feel like 80% is still just a little big for those motors. Im using 2s and 3s batteries. My 3s are 1000 mah and my motors are 2300kv turnight pushing Around 275g of thrust based on documentation. I think they want 200g or less. Not sure this would get there.

You can print out the ft racer at 60% and the mini power pod will fit. Just need to adjust the sizes of the fold cuts. I am building mini duster printed plans at 60% just needed to adjust some of the cuts.

Jan Chakk

FT Old Speedster question - 32 inch WS

Hi,

I want to build the FT Old Speedster with a reduced wing span (about 32 inches). By how much should I scale down the plans ?.

100 % version has a WS of 37.75 inches.

Regards
JC.

dgrigor02

I like the 60% because of my neighborhood field size.

I thought I saw or read somewhere that either the 60% racer or the 60% mustang didn't fly quite as good as the larger version. Can't remember which. Can someone recommend which of those two would be good next plane to try ?

I've done the stock plans reduced to 60% for the ft22, but the frogs84ss mods at 60% work better. So if someone wants to do the ft22 mini I highly recommend doing his mods to the plans. Leave some extra length on the fuse where the prop will mount cut it back when your ready to motor mounted so that it lines up perfect in the prop slot. I did exactly like the plans the first time and the motor sat back too far. This will all be dependant on your exact motor.

I have built 3 60% spitfires and have alot of fun with it.

A few recommendations for those who haven't tried the smaller spitfire yet ( and are pretty new at this like me ):

1. Servo mounted under the cockpit ( exactly the same way its done in the instruction/build video for the mini scout ). Skip the rudder servo like others have mentioned. It adds more tail weight and not really needed.

2. The slots are smaller on the plans so just cut on the outside of the mark and pinch it a little to fit. No real need for new plans made just shrink with pdf ready and use poster. Don't bother trying to resize all the A/B folds to cut them off and glue together without the paper as a guide. Just gets your fingers a little messier with the glue is all. Don't forget you can skip the holes for the larger power pack.

3. I like to extend the powerpod and glue it in so that it's double walled instead of the scewers. I really like the double walls on the sponz ugly/bloody/baron plans but its just too tight trying to double wall plus mini pods inside that. A weak spot on nose dive crunched right between the normal length of the mini pod and the wing. By extending the mini pod a few inches really helps reinforce well.

4. Leave of the spacer on the back of the wing off for the mini it's not needed. Makes the wing too thick in the back.

5. Make the elevator a little wider under the rudder ( I don't know technically what that area is called ) as it gets pretty thin when downsizing and is pretty weak on the side opposite of the control horn.

6. I do both down and to the right thurst adjustment for the motor. Without the down thrust it really wants to climb too much.

7. Hardest part of the resizing is getting the wing cutout just right becuase the wing is thicker than the plans. Get the figured out and your home free.

8. Eflite 2s 430mah battery fits perfectly in the fuse width and for cg when the 5g server is mounted under the cockpit you really can't go any smaller battery than that without have to add nose weight. I still get 5-6min of mixed flying with 430mah.

Last edited:
I like the 60% because of my neighborhood field size.

I thought I saw or read somewhere that either the 60% racer or the 60% mustang didn't fly quite as good as the larger version. Can't remember which. Can someone recommend which of those two would be good next plane to try ?

I've done the stock plans reduced to 60% for the ft22, but the frogs84ss mods at 60% work better. So if someone wants to do the ft22 mini I highly recommend doing his mods to the plans. Leave some extra length on the fuse where the prop will mount cut it back when your ready to motor mounted so that it lines up perfect in the prop slot. I did exactly like the plans the first time and the motor sat back too far. This will all be dependant on your exact motor.

I have built 3 60% spitfires and have alot of fun with it.

A few recommendations for those who haven't tried the smaller spitfire yet ( and are pretty new at this like me ):

1. Servo mounted under the cockpit ( exactly the same way its done in the instruction/build video for the mini scout ). Skip the rudder servo like others have mentioned. It adds more tail weight and not really needed.

2. The slots are smaller on the plans so just cut on the outside of the mark and pinch it a little to fit. No real need for new plans made just shrink with pdf ready and use poster. Don't bother trying to resize all the A/B folds to cut them off and glue together without the paper as a guide. Just gets your fingers a little messier with the glue is all. Don't forget you can skip the holes for the larger power pack.

3. I like to extend the powerpod and glue it in so that it's double walled instead of the scewers. I really like the double walls on the sponz ugly/bloody/baron plans but its just too tight trying to double wall plus mini pods inside that. A weak spot on nose dive crunched right between the normal length of the mini pod and the wing. By extending the mini pod a few inches really helps reinforce well.

4. Leave of the spacer on the back of the wing off for the mini it's not needed. Makes the wing too thick in the back.

5. Make the elevator a little wider under the rudder ( I don't know technically what that area is called ) as it gets pretty thin when downsizing and is pretty weak on the side opposite of the control horn.

6. I do both down and to the right thurst adjustment for the motor. Without the down thrust it really wants to climb too much.

7. Hardest part of the resizing is getting the wing cutout just right becuase the wing is thicker than the plans. Get the figured out and your home free.

8. Eflite 2s 430mah battery fits perfectly in the fuse width and for cg when the 5g server is mounted under the cockpit you really can't go any smaller battery than that without have to add nose weight. I still get 5-6min of mixed flying with 430mah.

Did you by any chance increase the size of rudder and elevator parts? I built one but couldnt get it to fly right. No rudder servo and used 2 servos for each aileron. It felt like i couldnt really control it in the air. So I put it on the back burner. Maybe I will give it another shot after I finish building the nnChimpmunk.

dgrigor02

Didn't change any sizes other than the thin area on the elevator that is right under the rudder made it wider so that the side opposite the control horn would be more solid but didn't change the overall shape size of the tail.

I have built the full version but our neighborhood field ( it's two softball fields in size ) is just too small for it so I don't really have experience to compare with the full version.
It flies better than any of the other minis I have built and I like as good as the ultra micro T28.

2S, and the mini power pack motor ( 1806 ) with 5X4 prop is as fast as I want to go. I'm sure I couldn't handle it with 3s. I tried sponz baby baron with 3S and I couldn't handle it and straight into a fence. I think I want to try the baby baron again with 2s I think I'll have more fun.

The 3rd version I added a full thickness of foam in front for the down thrust anlge and made a big difference with it wanting to float up so much. There was another post somewhere that suggested that may be the issue for asomeone else plane ( not this one in particular ) and that was the AHA moment that I should try it.

Last edited:

91shadowrider

Looking for a Kraken scaled down to versa wing size.

Nic, I know you are busy, could you or do you know someone on the forums who could rescale the kraken the versa wing size? I like the twin and the landing gear.

jmiah007

Nic,
I'm really going back and forth on a Racer vs a Spitfire 800mm. I'm running a NTM 2826 on 2200 3s. Any suggestions on which to go with. I'm still a relatively new pilot, only flown a Bloody Wonder, the Baron and a Hobby King EPP profile pitts. But I'm working up to something like a pylon racer for the bigger field where I live..... TIA.