Scaling an airplane down

xunedeinx

Hello,

I saw that FT has a new airplane called the FT Edge 540. I am thinking about scaling it down, so that I can use the power pack f. How would I do this, and do you have any tips. I’m aware that it might not fly as well, but I think I’ll try it out just for fun.
https://store.flitetest.com/flite-t...electric-airplane-kit-1016mm-flt-1058/p780803

Thanks,
Roman

Well, when plans are released, open the full pland in adobe reader, under print click poster, and set the percentage you want to scale down.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Understand though that flight characterisitcs can be very different when scaling. Smaller scales tend to be more durable physically but more of a challenge to balance and control aeronautically.

crlosg2

You also have to take into account the fact that most FT plans use 5mm foam board, and that all A,B and C (folderover) folds use the thickness of the board to keep everything square, therefore all folds will be impacted by the change in scale.
What I'd do is use a 3mm thick foam board for the plane and directly downscale an existing FT plan from 100% to 60% (5mm -> 3mm). That'd make the plane significantly smaller (40% linear decrease, 64% decrease in area, 78.4% decrease in volume.)

DAWNSIGHT4

Yeah that's why when you are building the ft mustang most of the mini's, the angle of thrust is tilted to the right side slightly so the torque of the motor keeps it going straight. I would honestly try it and see what it does when the plans are smaller first, then make some adjustments.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I flew the edge with an F pack and it did quite well.
You did scale it down and build it according to plan? There is a lot involved in the standard size as far as the battery deck and such, you got it all to fit, or were there some mods to the design because it is smaller?

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
If you keep the bend lines and adjust the gaps... It should mostly for 45s and. Bevels stay the same.
When I called the flying camper to 50% and used the thin board from DG, it worked without incident. (Except the power pod. As the F is 60% the C/B pod not 50.

That said,@sundown57 , what mods did you need

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
If you keep the bend lines and adjust the gaps... It should mostly for 45s and. Bevels stay the same.
When I called the flying camper to 50% and used the thin board from DG, it worked without incident. (Except the power pod. As the F is 60% the C/B pod not 50.

That said,@sundown57 , what mods did you need
Yea I am curious too

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I don't remember scaling it down. I'm pretty sure I build it full size. I'm looking for the thread on it but I don't see it
Well that's what we are talking about here man, scaling it down is the topic bro! Have you taken your meds today?! :ROFLMAO:

But thanks for the update

sundown57

Legendary member
Well that's what we are talking about here man, scaling it down is the topic bro! Have you taken your meds today?! :ROFLMAO:

But thanks for the update
you would be amazed at the meds I've taken today. I'm saying that I can't remember just yet what I did when I build the edge, it was several plans back. And I can't seem to find the thread it was in. so maybe I didn't post how I did it.