EDGE 540 help......

Human

Hmm, that’s really too bad! It might be under warranty though, so you might be able to get a free replacement - it should not have done that. Was it 3s or 4s you were running? I’ve run a 3s and a 12x6 without any overheating...

4S 1500mAh 4S 75C
Spektrum RC Avian 60 Amp 3-6S
11x7E prop

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
4S 1500mAh 4S 75C
Spektrum RC Avian 60 Amp 3-6S
11x7E prop
And that's the .15 Rimfire?

I flew a substantially sized plane on it with first an 11x7x3 then with a 12x6 2 blade on a 40 amp ESC on 3s and wasn't an issue... mind you i hate when people say that to me when I have a problem haha

Have you taken the motor apart yet?

Human

And that's the .15 Rimfire?

I flew a substantially sized plane on it with first an 11x7x3 then with a 12x6 2 blade on a 40 amp ESC on 3s and wasn't an issue... mind you i hate when people say that to me when I have a problem haha

Have you taken the motor apart yet?

Yes on the RimFire .15 "35-36-1200kV"

No I have not attempted to take it apart, it is only a few moths old, maybe the warranty will cover it.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yes on the RimFire .15 "35-36-1200kV"

No I have not attempted to take it apart, it is only a few moths old, maybe the warranty will cover it.
Exact same motor I have. I would say if you smoked it with an 11x7 then it should be under warranty. It should handle 4s no problem

Human

How did you mount it? Did you use the X mount or screws thru the firewall from the backside.

it was on the firewall, but I did go buy new shorter screws, I made sure it did not touch the motor wires/winding. I was able to fly the plane 8-10 times before the motor went out. I'm going to try to get it shipped this week so maybe we will find out soon.

Bricks

Master member
Just curious why did you not use the X mount that is the way I mount all my motors, much easier to make any adjustments or change motors.

Tin Man

Sorry to get off topic but I am looking at building my first 3D plane and was wondering if I could scratch build the ft edge? I’m asking because the plans look like it has to many tabs that need to be made perfect, and well I’m human and make mistakes lol 😂

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Just curious why did you not use the X mount that is the way I mount all my motors, much easier to make any adjustments or change motors.
The X mount is too big to fit on a ft firewall, but you can bolt the motor directly to the ft firewall without any issues.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Sorry to get off topic but I am looking at building my first 3D plane and was wondering if I could scratch build the ft edge? I’m asking because the plans look like it has to many tabs that need to be made perfect, and well I’m human and make mistakes lol 😂
I’ve scratch built 3 edges so far, and they are a pain to cut out but doable. For your first 3D plane I would suggest making an FT-3D since it is a super simple and easy build and flies great. I say that since 3D planes fly a bit differently then most other planes, so there will probably be some crashes involved and it will be easier to do repairs on the FT-3D. If you do build an edge, I’d recommend using some spray adhesive to stick the plans on the foamboard. It’ll keep all the templates from shifting while you’re cutting them out.

Bricks

Master member
The X mount is too big to fit on a ft firewall, but you can bolt the motor directly to the ft firewall without any issues.

I guess since I cut my own firewalls I have not run onto this problem even my 3518 fit on the firewall with the X mount.....not sure why I have not had that problem. I run the X mount corner to corner.

Tin Man

I’ve scratch built 3 edges so far, and they are a pain to cut out but doable. For your first 3D plane I would suggest making an FT-3D since it is a super simple and easy build and flies great. I say that since 3D planes fly a bit differently then most other planes, so there will probably be some crashes involved and it will be easier to do repairs on the FT-3D. If you do build an edge, I’d recommend using some spray adhesive to stick the plans on the foamboard. It’ll keep all the templates from shifting while you’re cutting them out.
Thanks for the help. And if you use pins the papers don’t move “ I’ve built a few scratch builds before and this is what I have found works the best” thanks again.

eness76

Thanks for the help. And if you use pins the papers don’t move “ I’ve built a few scratch builds before and this is what I have found works the best” thanks again.
Another very simple way to hold the plans in place, is roughly cut out the templates leaving plenty around the edges, use this repositionable glue stick on the back, stick them down to the foam, cut out the foam and peel the template right off. No mess or residue, paper won’t shift a bit.
A4215B10-6721-49E5-AD3D-6DC53AEDC90E.png

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I was belly landing on grass as my detachable undercarriage was loose so took it off. First 2 flights where fine but on the third The prop (12x6) caught the ground and the motor pod was the instrument of destruction it damaged the horizontal former the pod sits on and the vertical former the pod sits up against.
It wasn't catastrophic damage but its meant I am now repairing and fitting ply to the same areas your doing now in the build. Its a weak spot in the design and needs good reinforcement. I would build a detachable cowl too, Blocker did that its a god idea better for access later.