Scratch Build-Off SR-10 Reliant

BabyBrit

Fly jacRC
History

StinsonSR10_1.jpg

"the Stinson Reliant SR-10, was introduced in 1938. A militarized version was first flown in February 1942 and remained in production through several additional versions (all externally identical) until late 1943 for the US and British armed forces.

Reliant production can be broken into two distinct types - the straight wing Reliants (all models up to SR-6) and the gull wing Reliants (all models from SR-7 and after including the militarized V-77/AT-19) with there being little in common between the two groups of types. The straight wing Reliant had a wing of constant chord and thickness which was supported by two struts each side with additional bracing struts. In contrast the taper wing Reliant had the broadest chord and thickness of the wing at mid span, with the outer wing trailing edge heavily angled forward and a rounded cutout on the leading edge root, all supported by a single strut. The taper wing had a significant step up between the fuselage and the wing, and the changes in wing thickness gave it a distinct gull appearance from the front." - Wiki

Note from the Builder:

Well its that time again, and as someone who loves a good challenge I figured I would try this again.... though actually finish this time! and the plan this time is to go with a totally different build technique. Thats right gang, this will be a hot wire cut, and glasses aircraft.

I happen to be a big fan of the Reliant, a classic high wing bird with beautiful lines. The build should be simple but I plan to add super scale details, which I will not spoil now. anyway, enough ranting for now, enjoy~!

Side-note: these are my own calculations so it may not be 100% accurate.

Update: 1/22/16

So I have been working really hard to try and get these plans finished and converted into formers by Feb. It looks like I am on track to do just that. I am most of the way through and have my formers now. With that said there are 2 things i am now figuring out before placing them on printable material and building the hotwire cutter. 1) electronics; see bellow for that craziness, and 2) how to fix the wing to the fuze and still be able to have a semi scale cockpit. 2 I am still working on, but at least I am further than I thought. More to come.

Design:

Currently adapting plans for the SR-10 for formers, adding things like a battery hatch and motor box and firewall. I will also be logging the build of my Hotwire bow, something that I'm designing specifically to be portable for FF16. Follow along with this wild adventure.

Plans:

Plans are probably one of my favorite parts of the process. I must say it all starts off with a good set of plans, and as most people know my favorite place to pick those up is Outerzone.co.uk. There i was able to pick up a 3 page set of plans for an original 42 inch wing span (would have loved to have kept it that size, but yah know, #wives).

Next bring in the pages to sketch-up and adjust the formers around the old bulsa parts and figure out the changes because bulsa is not foam. The wings were the tricky park, in looking more closely i noticed that the way the Reliant's wing appears is that the wing aligns to the bottom of the wing for the first 1/6th from the root or so, then the wing follows a straight line along the top of the camber to the wing tips (thats what gives the wing the look of a gull wing). Upon this realization, the ability to design became significantly easier.

Screen Shot 2016-01-19 at 8.36.23 PM.png

I have to say I did find something that really helped me out. I have been using the Extention store in sketchup more frequently and found some great additional tools. Scetucation also has been instrimental in this process, which is where i came across Curviloft, a program that gives you the ability to connect 2 outlines together to form shapes. An awesome tool to help me skin this thing. Basically will show me exactly how a shape will cut with the hotwire (#WIN)

Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 11.27.18 PM.png

Lastly once connecting all the pieces i was able to use the largest to aproximate the volume of the model. Once Calculating the volume of the foam and calculating the oz/in3. Once I know that, little more number crunching and hey presto I have the approximate AUW of the aircraft. Meaning, POWER. I now know exactly the setup I need. So here is what my Sketch-up file currently looks like. Once i get the hatches and registration drawn in, I'll convert to a .SVG file and bring that into photoshop for final touches.

Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 11.02.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-01-20 at 9.51.15 PM.png

Figures bellow for the setup:

Specs:
Length:
~18inch
Wingspan:
32inch
Wing Area:
138inch2
Anticipated Learning Level:
Intermediate, per scale should have a wide envelope!
Build Level:
ADVANCED
# of Sheets of foam:
1 sheet of really big blue foamboard!
AUW:
`
Wingloading:
11.48 oz/foot2

Other Specs and Notes:
Max fuze area: 6in2
fuze volume apron: ~84in3
wing area 4in2
wing volume: ~78in3​

total: <162in3

wight of foam block: 58oz
l: 95.244 w: 46.5 x .437 = 1,929.7
Volume: 1,929.7
density 0.030108815636867 ounce/cubic inch [oz/in^3]
~4.86 oz for the aircraft
aprox: 5oz​

~9oz AUW to ~11oz
Minimum Battery Capacity: 200 mAh, 20 C, lithium polymer.
Suggested ESC Rating: 4 A to 5 A.
Power Into / Out of Motor: 37.8 watts in / 30.2 watts out.
Power To Weight Ratio: 54.98 watts/pound.
Estimated Stall Speed: 16.6 mph.
Wing Loading: 11.48 oz/square foot.
Cubic Wing Loading: 8.83 oz/cubic foot.
Max speed 45mph​

Electronics:
Motor: 1100kv aprox
Length B (mm) 32
Diameter C (mm) 35

esc: 25amp
battery: 3s 1400mah
Prop: 8/6 wooden

Build:
TBD

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Oh come on, Joel has plenty of room to build!

1/3 scale at least!!!

(and when he finishes, then he'll have room to sleep again -- an incentive!!!)

BabyBrit

Fly jacRC
Thank you guys, wish i could do something in 1/3rd scale, but i don't think it would fit through the door :p

Sooooo, wingspan of 32 inches, give me a chance to do some super scale stuff. Should be fun!

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
At that size, yes, its big enough to add some scale goodies but not so small that any goodies you add will be so much weight that it will not fly.

mrwhiskers

Ludicrous speed, GO!
if you're looking for a paint scheme, heres a picture of one from my local airport (the one my father used to fly) 5005500730_d59014cb96_b.jpg

ProfessorFate

This airplane is in Realflight gen3 with that red paint scheme just like above; I forgot what a nice interesting flyer this was even just in the gen3 sim, I think RF gen3 is still best even tho I have#7.

This would look nice painted up red just like in the above pic, but I haven't seen any other variations either

Good idea for a build tho

Leonard