Scratch builds, material failures, stress testing and the general disorder in my life

Stress Test

I've been slowly cutting out the F-117a. Tonight I ordered the Powerfun 64mm EDF and a 60amp esc.

I have been hurting myself with spring cleaning around the place so not much scratch building. Tonight I decided its Advil, TV and plant my butt in the recliner. I'll post a few images soon.

Bricks

Master member
I've been slowly cutting out the F-117a. Tonight I ordered the Powerfun 64mm EDF and a 60amp esc.

I have been hurting myself with spring cleaning around the place so not much scratch building. Tonight I decided its Advil, TV and plant my butt in the recliner. I'll post a few images soon.

Posting images of you sitting in a recliner???? :love: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Maiden flight of my scratch built Mini Scout!

View attachment 181641

Went fairly good. Landed on purpose without damage once, then the wind picked up, and gusts.

:(

Smacked / cartwheeled into the ground twice, then hit a branch when a gust caught it and nose dived into the ground.

View attachment 181642

It messed the front of the plane up. Its easily fixable, the prop is toast. I should have stopped when the wind picked up with gusts.

View attachment 181643

Oh well, it was still fun! :D I managed 2 loops, on purpose even! It seems to turn left easier than right. I'll work on the settings. I had them limited pretty far to limit the sudden changes until I build some muscle memory.

OH! And I found some 1/8 inch foam at Hobby Lobby, I'm going to use it on the Corsair. So the tiled plans you see in the picture above will have to be adjusted a little for thickness. I am going to try to lighten up the airframe. I have all the guts /linkages etc except a receiver.
Good luck with the Corsair and nice work on the Scouts, I found that the Corsair was really tight for space under the hatch so just a heads up that you might want to keep that area as clear and neat as you can

Stress Test

I had an idea, yes it hurt, anyway I wondered if a metal edge on the table I could lay my knife against would help with straight / angle cuts.

This is the nose piece of the F-117a. While you still have to watch where your fingers are it does help make a straight cut.

20210409_164707.jpg

20210409_164726.jpg

20210409_164747.jpg

And yes you should try new techniques during an advanced build, :)

EDF comes in Monday, got the 60amp esc yesterday. Thinking about the Lemon Stabilizer rx for this one.

Stress Test

Ok so Matagami didn't name the parts so I'm going to take the liberty of doing so.

The bottom plate is the largest part and I screwed up the first one cutting the bevel.

20210410_080649.jpg

The large black board I had is heavier and tougher, since it lands on it I decided to use it. I cut it out, then scored a line and ripped the paper off. That stuff is stuck on there pretty good.

20210410_081011.jpg

Then I cut / shaved the bevel close using the metal table edge I just installed. After that I sanded the rest flat. This turned out to be the quickest way to get a good even bevel.

20210410_082747.jpg

Then I used white glue, tape, props, and weight to form the angle. Elmers glue has good strength and is light when dry.

20210411_221656.jpg

Now cut out the mid-plate, and wing gussets.

20210412_223647.jpg

Using the minimal number of pins and more white glue it gets set up. It goes between the mid plate and the bottom plate adding strength and shape to the wing.

20210413_185815.jpg

20210413_185850.jpg

I haven't assembled these yet. This is going to be a slow build. I think I curved the inside tunnel walls too much. I decided to make parts again if they didn't come out almost perfect.

There are some subtle angles in the lines, you think "Hey, its all straight, how hard can it be?" Yeah this shouldn't be your first build. Then you think, "Hey why is the cut off? Why did he put a 5 degree angle there? MATAGAMI!" lol :D

A bit more of the 3d puzzle fell into place with these pieces. I broke the rear edf support that is near the middle.

20210413_185910.jpg

Second Virus shot is kicking my butt tonight so I'm updating this. I should be putting down concrete forms and pouring but I'm just sore.

Last edited:

Stress Test

Sorry for dropping off the radar. I have had more to do than I had time for. I haven't made any progress on any plane although I look at them from time to time.

Im hoping to get back on the F-117 in a few weeks.

It turned out there was mold in our RV, so I had to rip out the ceiling and quite a bit of the insides. Wire wheeled, then treated the metal for rust. I lucked out that it had sprayed in foam, many RV's have fiberglass insulation which is a real mess when this happens.

rv_ceiling.jpg

So a soft spot in the floor and minor remodel has blossomed into a major over haul.

And wood prices decided to skyrocket, that makes these sheets of exterior grade sheeting $40+ each. To make double sure I painted them before putting them up and Aug 2nd we are getting a roof seal job that is 3/16 of inch thick sprayed on. It guaranteed not to leak for life.

Screenshot_20210514-223342_Photos.jpg

The short list to go.... sand, everything, paint, everything, recover ceiling, recover walls, get 2 a/c units, find couch, fix parking brake, finish making kitchen table, re plumb bathroom, rebuild bathroom wall, blah, blah, blah...

:sleep:

I'm tired just writing it all down.

Stress Test

Since the last post was received well I'll update yesterday and today.

After I cleaned up wiring for the lights that had very questionable connections and cut and route a corner piece I needed to make a large sheet to cover a wall. I had taken out the pocket door that took up WAY too much room, this is the framing was left.

001.jpg

A trial fit shows it was little bit too tall.

002.jpg

Once it fit I used construction adhesive and a brad nailer to fix it permanently, hopefully squeak free, to the framing. I think this pic is before I did that.

003.jpg

Its not really too much different than building an airplane, measure, cut, fit. Figure out where I measured wrong. Cut again.

I guess I don't have to say that I most likely won't make Flitefest unless there is one later in the fall.

Today's construction is less visible when done, but I built it stout, the toilet mounts on it and I hate a wobbly toilet. The hole in the front is for the heater vent.

002.jpg

Then I started cleaning the roof seams. I ordered the stuff to reseal the roof myself and it will save us $$$$.

This whole mess started because the previous owner didn't seal the roof correctly. (Or at all)

Since I don't have time to build planes for my thread I guess this will have to do. :unsure:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 0

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Since the last post was received well I'll update yesterday and today.

After I cleaned up wiring for the lights that had very questionable connections and cut and route a corner piece I needed to make a large sheet to cover a wall. I had taken out the pocket door that took up WAY too much room, this is the framing was left.

View attachment 200688

A trial fit shows it was little bit too tall.

View attachment 200689

Once it fit I used construction adhesive and a brad nailer to fix it permanently, hopefully squeak free, to the framing. I think this pic is before I did that.

View attachment 200690

Its not really too much different than building an airplane, measure, cut, fit. Figure out where I measured wrong. Cut again.

I guess I don't have to say that I most likely won't make Flitefest unless there is one later in the fall.

Today's construction is less visible when done, but I built it stout, the toilet mounts on it and I hate a wobbly toilet. The hole in the front is for the heater vent.

View attachment 200698

Then I started cleaning the roof seams. I ordered the stuff to reseal the roof myself and it will save us $$$$.

This whole mess started because the previous owner didn't seal the roof correctly. (Or at all)

Since I don't have time to build planes for my thread I guess this will have to do. :unsure:
heated toilet...:ROFLMAO::unsure::unsure::unsure:

Stress Test

I live in Missouri, and we get a magazine that has Missouri propaganda,

20210528_140438.jpg

Sharp eyed readers will notice the "Flitetest" next to my finger ....

20210528_140445.jpg

Yeah! Flitetest in Fayette!

Cleaned my bench last night, getting closer to building again.

Stress Test

No pics but a quick update on the F-117A.

I destroyed the mid frames that hold the ducted fan trying to get the part in the frame. :mad:

Fortunately foam board is cheap and I can make new ones. AND I may have more time in a few weeks, read on.

On a different note, the RV / Caravan (for you English types) project just took a bizarre turn. In the morning we go to test drive a 2002 Monaco Monarch that literally fell into our lap. Stored inside its entire life, everything works and is driveable right now, it will be cheaper to get EVERYTHING we want, which it already has, than to finish out the "Better Than A Tent" RV I have been sweating over.

Pyro, AKA my wife, not quite jokingly said something about his and hers RV's. I snore, a bit. :D