Scratch builds, material failures, stress testing and the general disorder in my life

Stress Test

wood and elders glue on your car...why???:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Before you laugh too hard, think about it. Think about film thickness, shear strength, assembly time, and the end result.

Hot glue is great for some items, and quick assembly. It is also thick and heavy.

White glue dries slowly, shrinks slightly, has great strength and is lighter.

Look at the elevator assembly. I needed a thin glue, accurate placement, and to NOT fill the hinges and ruin the function of the elevator. Those small dots of white glue act as as spot welds, are light, strong, very accurate and don't distort the 1/4 inch wide piece of poster board.

20201122_070942.jpg

The end result was a very nice elevator assembly.

Also the title of this thread should give you a clue, I am going to test the limits, edge cases, wacky ideas. Some will fail, some are average, some will yield great results. This entire FT Corsair 150 build is an experiment, when I crash it I will look at the damage and decide which techniques to reuse and which to abandon.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Before you laugh too hard, think about it. Think about film thickness, shear strength, assembly time, and the end result.

Hot glue is great for some items, and quick assembly. It is also thick and heavy.

Look at the elevator assembly. I needed a thin glue, accurate placement, and to NOT fill the hinges and ruin the function of the elevator. Those small dots of white glue act as as spot welds, are light, strong, very accurate and don't distort the 1/4 inch wide piece of poster board.

View attachment 186396

The end result was a very nice elevator assembly.

Also the title of this thread should give you a clue, I am going to test the limits, edge cases, wacky ideas. Some will fail, some are average, some will yield great results. This entire FT Corsair 150 build is an experiment, when I crash it I will look at the damage and decide which techniques to reuse and which to abandon.
i meant that it sounded like you were repairing some damage on your car with wood glue

Stress Test

Awesome! I built one standard sparrow and boy did it ever need a lot of nose weight to make it balance! I shoved a 1500 2s and a 1000 3s all the way in the nose just to get it to balance. It flew alright, but I retired it after one flight. I want to build another one though - this time with the servos all the way in the nose. Hopefully that combined with a 450 3s I can get her to balance.

If I have to add weight I want to add function. I have a FPV camera / tx and would like extra flight time. So my ballast would be functional.

I should have shoved the servos all the way forward. I have been looking for some coffee stirrers that aren't smashed in the middle to act as guides for the rods.

I am serious about an over powered twin build, where vertical is effortless, and FPV plus maybe a belly camera. I am thinking about designing a camera platform, powerful motors, excellent glide, long flight time. Think a FT version of the U2 Dragon Lady. Yup I plan to Stress Test some materials! If the Sparrow glides like the videos show it may be the basis for that build.

Stress Test

i meant that it sounded like you were repairing some damage on your car with wood glue

Ah, sorry, I thought you didn't get it. Also I have an RX-8 so my buddies rag me ALL the time because I put a rotary back in it instead of an LS. So I don't get the joke unless its over the top! :D

Matt's favorite was "I know your up against it if your RX8 is your most reliable car!" -- I was going to get Honda parts in my rotary powered ... uh, I digress. :giggle:

Stress Test

To balance it I have a 1300 3s WAY far forward. It only has a 20 amp esc, so Im not sure it wont be a smoke show....

I'm guessing I was tired, I ran the same esc and motor on a 450 3s, I guess I was thinking about a 6s I have that is the same size.

Tomorrow night I'll finish putting it together and tuning it, charge the battery and then fly it Friday or Saturday. First flights will be LOS, I'll work on the FPV after Christmas.

Stress Test

Oops. I guess the FPV is ready.

20201217_182010.jpg

I made a mount and set it on top. Its kind right out in the wind, but It gets a good view like that.

20201217_184433.jpg

And its all together, the rx is mounted under the shelf, as far forward as the wires will allow. And then I got stupid and went with a 450 3s. I don't have the connector to plug the 1300 3s into this esc.

20201217_191444.jpg

Man this thing is tail heavy! I finally found a wedge washer that will make it balance out right. I can fine tune it with the placement of the battery.

20201217_193712.jpg

Now to charge my movie glasses and see if I can fly it FPV! I did fly drones FPV, but I really kinda decided to go straight model plane.

LOS Flight time ~10 minutes, multiple crashes, switch to FPV, what could possible go wrong? :D

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Um, about dodging and taunting trees..

I started with FPV Blade Inductrix, you will notice the trees in the video, those are the same ones I have been dodging with a plane....

Happiness is your parts coming in a day early. My receiver came in today so I put it together and this was tidier than the first build. Then I glued the bottom up.

View attachment 181193

Its a bit over powered with a 2205 2300kv motor and a 450mAh battery. I also have to slide the battery back to get it to balance.

View attachment 181195

I will maiden it Sunday or Monday, weather permitting, in the field, the big field, I post pics of the result, good or bad... :)
Using my favorite receivers I see AR410 (those and the AR620s), the only part I still feel any sense of loyalty to Spektrum for (y).

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Using my favorite receivers I see AR410 (those and the AR620s), the only part I still feel any sense of loyalty to Spektrum for (y).
Yup - those are top of the line receivers. I use them and my dx7 in any of the planes I care about.

FrankFly

Some alternatives to hot glue that I use:

"Temporary" or "repositionable" glue stick to temporarily lay plans on foamboard for cutting.

"Permanent" glue stick is the perfect thing to stick down the delaminated edges, corners and wingtips where the paper and foam seperate. Thin, light, quick and permanent.

Clear gorilla glue. Super strong, invisible, thin alternative to epoxy and hot glue. Made for foam. Disadvantage is the need to hold it together ~24 hours. Does not expand while setting like original gorilla glue.

Removeable double stick tape. For canopies, hatches, etc. Peel it off and throw it away when it's no longer needed or worn out. Thin and light and sticks well.

What else have people discovered?

Stress Test

"Failure is always an option." -- Adam Savage, Sage, Builder Extraordinaire

So I got to try and fly the Sparrow, I do believe I over achieved moving the CG forward. I set the throws with the gauge. I could NOT pull up and planted it hard into the ground, throttle off but at 80 degrees from horizontal. So not quite straight in from altitude. It bent the fuselage where the control rod slides through and toasted the wing and nose. :cautious:

We were going to get video on a later flight, I thought it would fly.

I have to build a new plane, darn. :)

20201219_153132.jpg

20201219_153142.jpg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Some alternatives to hot glue that I use:

"Temporary" or "repositionable" glue stick to temporarily lay plans on foamboard for cutting.

"Permanent" glue stick is the perfect thing to stick down the delaminated edges, corners and wingtips where the paper and foam seperate. Thin, light, quick and permanent.

Clear gorilla glue. Super strong, invisible, thin alternative to epoxy and hot glue. Made for foam. Disadvantage is the need to hold it together ~24 hours. Does not expand while setting like original gorilla glue.

Removeable double stick tape. For canopies, hatches, etc. Peel it off and throw it away when it's no longer needed or worn out. Thin and light and sticks well.

What else have people discovered?
I love using white gorilla glue. It works well for foamboard planes but I especially like it for fixing BNF planes you buy. Foamtac is also amazing glue. I mainly use it for fixing UMX planes but it also works really well for building with foamboard when you want to save weight.

Tench745

Master member
I love using white gorilla glue. It works well for foamboard planes but I especially like it for fixing BNF planes you buy. Foamtac is also amazing glue. I mainly use it for fixing UMX planes but it also works really well for building with foamboard when you want to save weight.

I recently discovered Foam Cure. It's like foam tac, but only costs about $6 for 4oz instead of Foam Tac's $8 for 1oz.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I had to search for the posts but i found some about Foam Tac and a substitute from Dollar Tree. I stopped today on a whim to get some foam and forgot to look this up. I'll get some next week, with mom here and Christmas the fun budget is gone for this week. I did get some skewers and more foam so I'm golden for now since I wasn't out.

We should start a glue thread, hint, hint. :)

shhhhh don't mention a glue thread.. Gluing leads to clamping and any mention of clamping the music starts playing nah nah na na nah nah na nah CLAMP MAN!!! and the next thing you know @rockyboy will show up with a bajillion clamps and lock down the thread. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Stress Test

shhhhh don't mention a glue thread.. Gluing leads to clamping and any mention of clamping the music starts playing nah nah na na nah nah na nah CLAMP MAN!!! and the next thing you know @rockyboy will show up with a bajillion clamps and lock down the thread. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I needed that laugh, Thanks!

Of course now that tune is stuck in my head...

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor

No relation to this Clamp Man, the vigilante roaming the streets of Perth Australia, freeing unfairly persecuted motorists who have been hit with wheel clamps. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...Clamp-Man-makes-fine-real-life-superhero.html

article-0-14B7ECF2000005DC-377_308x185.jpg

Stress Test

I have my spare room / workshop back, took mom home yesterday, drove back today. So more than 1100 miles in 2 days.

So in the next few days I'll start back on the FT Corsair 150.

Now I need some sleep and I have to work tomorrow.