Scratch builds, material failures, stress testing and the general disorder in my life

Stress Test

Instant mess!

instant_mess.jpg

And the turtle deck takes shape. I figure a frame with the poster board glued to it and a hinge (tape?) on one side. Im not sure about the fastener yet.

turtle_deck.jpg

If you have sharp eye you may see Ghost, he wanted to play with it but I wasn't as happy about it. He didn't tear it up, mostly just inspected it.

Stress Test

Winter is showing itself this first day of 2021.

winter.jpg

Our power is out due to the ice and snow, so I pulled out my dusty camera and snapped a few pics of our true aviators.

tufted_titmouse.png

A tufted titmouse who is glad Beverly feeds the local wildlife.

It's a nice relaxing day, I hope more days are like this in 2021, minus the snow though.

Stress Test

It was all really innocent, and yes, I KNOW this is the scratch builders area, but I was wandering around in a hobby shop .....

20210102_101204.jpg

And somehow it followed me home ....

20210102_152410.jpg

So I am set for projects for a while. I also got a copy of Realflight 9.5, I already have the dongle and will load it up soon. I hope to improve my flying skills with less carnage and building.

Stress Test

RealFlight 9.5 will help improve my flying skills, I can see that already. I have more stick time than I had with my real planes already.

I see one down side, I'm going to burn through batteries on my tx! :) 30 minutes flying all sorts of different models is a blast.

I have always thought the Gee Bee would be a handful, I think I like the way it flies in the sim, it can't be that docile in real life.

Stress Test

Some more progress on the FT Mini Corsair 150!

I had to build the turtle deck twice because the first one just didn't fit right.

And its as finished as its going to be for a while because the motor and esc are still in the Simple Cub and I don't want to take it apart.

20210110_083128.jpg

20210110_083138.jpg

20210110_083109.jpg

20210110_083228.jpg

I am waiting until Feb to order more parts. A B Power Pak, the FT Aura lite, I hope, and a receiver to go with it. And the foam wheels to go on the Simple Scout.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
RealFlight 9.5 will help improve my flying skills, I can see that already. I have more stick time than I had with my real planes already.

I see one down side, I'm going to burn through batteries on my tx! :) 30 minutes flying all sorts of different models is a blast.

I have always thought the Gee Bee would be a handful, I think I like the way it flies in the sim, it can't be that docile in real life.
I have the UMX geebee and it’s surprisingly easy to fly! I’m using a bigger battery (450 2s) and it flies fantastic on that setup - much better flight time than the 280 and it doesn’t really perform that much differently.
It was all really innocent, and yes, I KNOW this is the scratch builders area, but I was wandering around in a hobby shop .....

View attachment 187783

And somehow it followed me home ....

View attachment 187784

So I am set for projects for a while. I also got a copy of Realflight 9.5, I already have the dongle and will load it up soon. I hope to improve my flying skills with less carnage and building.
That shop carried lots of ft stuff - much more than mine! You’ll love the scout - it’s a fantastic little plane! I’ve been meaning to build myself another one of these days...
Some more progress on the FT Mini Corsair 150!

I had to build the turtle deck twice because the first one just didn't fit right.

And its as finished as its going to be for a while because the motor and esc are still in the Simple Cub and I don't want to take it apart.

View attachment 188639
View attachment 188640

View attachment 188641

View attachment 188642

I am waiting until Feb to order more parts. A B Power Pak, the FT Aura lite, I hope, and a receiver to go with it. And the foam wheels to go on the Simple Scout.
I’m a big fan of the ft power packs and radial motors, but I just ordered two of the gforce E400 2830 1200kv motors from valuehobbies to try out on my Tigercat. They seem to between a B and C pack motor in size and are much cheaper.

Last edited:

Stress Test

@The Hanger -- The link leads to bad content. The first page is ok (css is broken) but some of the links have malicious code.

Oddly, I have been looking at overpowering this one, I'm most likely going to crash it so I though in the vein of the oversize FT build I would stuff a big motor and esc in it. I saw this one, DYS D2836 1500KV Brushless Motor 2-4S and it peaks my interest. :D It should swing a big prop.

The original Corsair swung a 14 foot prop, the odd wing shape was to get the landing gear low enough so the prop didn't dig in during rotation.
it went faster than other planes with the same engine. So with electric I need a bigger motor to swing a bigger prop, right? :LOL: Yeah, I know I can play with pitch to control the amps but whats the fun in that? If it wont go vertical using the ailerons and rudder to keep it straight its under powered!

BTW I learned to fly in Alaska, in a red Super Cub with a beefed air frame, a 180 horse Lycoming, clipped wings and floats. Tom taught me to fly before I started taking lessons, my "log book" instructor quickly realized that I had flight experience and so he pushed me harder, like landing straight in a cross wind instead of crabbing in with a tricycle setup (on the second training flight), so I floated it until it quit and touched down on one wheel kept it straight until the other two touched. We flat spun the same Cessna even though it wasn't rated for it, because he said I needed to know how to pull out of that. So I got good quick because of those 2 pushing me. Tom had let his instructor rating lapse and trained me so I could chauffeur him around the bush. A Super Cub on floats is the best fishing machine EVER! :)

Fast forward about 30 years of not flying, I put Real Flight view where its like Im in the plane and so much comes back and I have no problem landing anything. I switch to the view where I'm standing on the ground (rc model like) and I have crashed an embarrassing number of times.

Argh!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
@The Hanger -- The link leads to bad content. The first page is ok (css is broken) but some of the links have malicious code.
Oh boy, I’m sorry - not sure what happened there. I took out the link and replaced it with the name of the motor.
Oddly, I have been looking at overpowering this one, I'm most likely going to crash it so I though in the vein of the oversize FT build I would stuff a big motor and esc in it. I saw this one, DYS D2836 1500KV Brushless Motor 2-4S and it peaks my interest. :D It should swing a big prop.

The original Corsair swung a 14 foot prop, the odd wing shape was to get the landing gear low enough so the prop didn't dig in during rotation.
it went faster than other planes with the same engine. So with electric I need a bigger motor to swing a bigger prop, right? :LOL: Yeah, I know I can play with pitch to control the amps but whats the fun in that? If it wont go vertical using the ailerons and rudder to keep it straight its under powered!
That’s a big motor, and I like the idea of a big prop. Do you think you’ll go as scale as a 4 blade?
BTW I learned to fly in Alaska, in a red Super Cub with a beefed air frame, a 180 horse Lycoming, clipped wings and floats. Tom taught me to fly before I started taking lessons, my "log book" instructor quickly realized that I had flight experience and so he pushed me harder, like landing straight in a cross wind instead of crabbing in with a tricycle setup (on the second training flight), so I floated it until it quit and touched down on one wheel kept it straight until the other two touched. We flat spun the same Cessna even though it wasn't rated for it, because he said I needed to know how to pull out of that. So I got good quick because of those 2 pushing me. Tom had let his instructor rating lapse and trained me so I could chauffeur him around the bush. A Super Cub on floats is the best fishing machine EVER! :)

Fast forward about 30 years of not flying, I put Real Flight view where its like Im in the plane and so much comes back and I have no problem landing anything. I switch to the view where I'm standing on the ground (rc model like) and I have crashed an embarrassing number of times.

Argh!
That’s awesome, I’ve always been fascinated with bush flying but so far the extent of what I’ve done has been rc. Maybe someday I’ll do the real thing, who knows. The simulator really is nice, it sure saves you a lot of crashes on the real planes!

Stress Test

So at work I looked at the gforce E400 2830 1200k at Valuehobby, pulled up fine. I come home, jacked, I cleaned the dns cache, browser cache, scan the computer and its still jacked. I have Satellite internet at home, i guess something is messed up with that. I have good protections and don't use pirated software etc. so its something with the connection.

AND the sad part is I was going to order 2 of them! :mad: So tomorrow when I get to work I most likely will. We have serious protections there and a good connection.

Scale prop, hmmm, I wish! :D Most likely 2 blades though because is has no landing gear and may munch on the prop when landing even if I have it stopped.

And I am watching the B-36 builds going on. The multi motor bug has me. I have 4 motors on a drone I never got in the air, and I want to design and build that Navy Grumman S-2. So I might design it to fit those motors, do it counter rotating to eliminate the right part of the thrust angle. :unsure: Or just scratch design a basic, easy to duplicate, prototype twin engine model until I get better. ;)

Reanfer

What shows you that you have that thread on your PC, that makes you sure that operational system is jacked?! Maybe re-installing windows or iOS will be a solution or purchasing good anti-virus program? Contact support team, maybe they will do a system check from their side. But, don’t get stress out, it’s not worthy. Some time ago I was playing World of Warcraft and had a nervous collapse. I destroyed my PC because of all that stress in gameplay and pvp system. Started using kratom to calm myself, it worked very amazing. No more anger!

Last edited:

Stress Test

What shows you that you have that thread on your PC, that makes you sure that operational system is jacked?!

Its not my system. Its not the satellite connection. I use a minimum of 4 different computers during an average day on different networks and connections. ValueHobby had questionable content on more than one network / computer. I run a good quality security suite, its anti virus, malware protection, tracking browser connections, etc, protection from question software. So it's not just one thing showing me there are problems.

That website is not one I will go back to. Either they or their host are not great at security. It tried to load a Trojan and connect to a know malicious site.

Stress Test

Working title, Origami

I.E. Origami, from ori meaning "folding", and kami meaning "paper" -- is the art of paper folding, which is often associated with Japanese culture.

This is my first design, loosely based on the Mini Scout mechanics. I took the wing, and basic structure of the fuselage and changed it to a high wing / modern style.

So today I sat down and drew the entire thing, scanned it, printed it, and then cut out my patterns. Then cut my first set of foam parts.

patterns.jpg

Patterns then parts. As I see what I need to change I will update the original drawings and then rescan them.

number_1.jpg

And the unfolded fuse with the battery tray which will be accessed by removing the wing.

unfolded.jpg

Just folded, no glue, it becomes stiff. And I was surprised that it seems light. I am going to make an air frame and weigh just that and compare it to the Scout I made for the Jan. Challenge.

folded.jpg

And attached is the pdf, 6 pages, print the first 2 twice and you have the pattern. Disclaimer, this is a work in progress!

:D

Attachments

• Origami001.pdf
    403.6 KB · Views: 0

Stress Test

Simple Scout is assembled, radio is programmed and it's been windy or rainy or both! (Or I've been working on the rv)

I did program flaperons at 50 and 100 percent but I am thinking about cutting those back to 40 and 80. I also set the transition time to 2 seconds so changes in the handling wouldn't be as abrupt.

I have been flying a 1.5 meter elite with flaps on the simulator to prepare for my first flight.

Stress Test

No scratch build stuff for a while,

Abd those projects that aren't as fun, but make the place look better have been in the way.

Behold the humble beginnings of "The Great Wall of" something?

20210327_150737.jpg

And later in the day ...

20210327_175259.jpg

I did manage to throw a quick paint job on the FT Simple Scout. Bonus points if the symbols source can be named...

20210327_222719.jpg

And I am about to down load Matagami's F-117 plans and decide it I want to attempt an EDF crash prone design that is totally cool.

I have cash in my wallet from the scrap metal I sold that would cover a good EDF unit and esc, I would need another battery, receiver, set of servos and foam board.

My lovely bride of 25 years, well meaning and misguided, gave me a Dollar General gift card as part of my anniversary for foam board.

And my back is done for the weekend, so why not work on plans?

The other build I thought of lately is the Waco Glider from WW2. It is uniquely suited to foam board, it is slab sided, with perfect cylinder curves. The curved sides of the fuse could possibly be made with foam board?

WACO_CG4A.jpg

And there was a version upgraded with twin engines! A twin engine motor glider!

Stress Test

After work went by 2 different DMV's, sorry about the vile language... is DMV a curse word? Well it should be.

Ate dinner, did a bunch of other things involving labor. ugh.

Got in and finished tiling and cutting out patterns.

I guess I'm tired, its the weirdest looking plane I've built to date and I haven't started building it yet! :D

patterns.jpg

It may take a while to build. I haven't gotten the foam board yet, or really any parts.

Stress Test

Got the patterns taped down and the main plate cut, but I need new knifes.

You can get all of them on 4 sheets, but it is close.

20210331_172009.jpg

Then I went out and crashed my FT SImple Scout because I needed more foam to work on. :rolleyes:

Its not too bad, just not what I wanted to do.

20210331_193101.jpg

The elevator broke in the center, and the left wing took a bit of damage from the cart wheel just after take off.