Scratchbuild Dollar Tree Foamboard Photon Glider - Seaside Slope Soaring

rcdelmar

Here's some footage of a foamboard glider that is derived from the photon glider design by Ed at Experimental Airlines. If constructed with attention to using the electronics and hardware as balance for CG, it can be a pretty lightweight build that handles a variety of wind conditions. I have other Youtube videos that cover the dimensions and design of this plane. Enjoy

Last edited:

DDSFlyer

Looks pretty sweet. You didn't even have any dihedral/polyhedral in that huh? I've been wanting to learn how to slope soar. I'm close to you, would love to see the build. Do you bring that to Dave's beach?

rcdelmar

Looks pretty sweet. You didn't even have any dihedral/polyhedral in that huh? I've been wanting to learn how to slope soar. I'm close to you, would love to see the build. Do you bring that to Dave's beach?

there is slight dihedral achieved by joining the two halves of the carbon spar at the center with an aluminum bolt that is ever so slightly bent to create a very subtle V. it doesn't take much of a bend in the bolt to get sufficient dihedral. ive not flown at Dave's but go past it frequently. It's a much more forgiving place to fly as the cliff there is accessible if you crash over the side. i never did a build video with much detail but have provided dimensions etc on other videos posted to my youtube channel. you'll love slope soaring. definitely give it a try.

rcdelmar

Extremely nice performing slope soarer. Mount a camera on that thing and chase the train!

funny you should suggest that. i just created another video where i flew over a train using a larger "fatter" wing version of the glider. will have to post that here too. :)