SCX-200 Race Quad Build Log

Flat4

Just snagged my v2 upgrade kit yesterday, and a couple extra arms so I can turn the v1 kit into a los frame. I decided to go with the 2300kv red bottoms for this build, kiss fc, and I'd like to do the kiss 24a esc's, that is if my patience holds up until they get back in stock.

I'd like to get it built up asap. I'm going to try and qualify for nationals at the liberty science center in the end of July. The more stick time I can get on it before then the better. I also plan on doing a build log on it, so keep an eye out for that.

mpbiv

Just snagged my v2 upgrade kit yesterday, and a couple extra arms so I can turn the v1 kit into a los frame. I decided to go with the 2300kv red bottoms for this build, kiss fc, and I'd like to do the kiss 24a esc's, that is if my patience holds up until they get back in stock.

I'd like to get it built up asap. I'm going to try and qualify for nationals at the liberty science center in the end of July. The more stick time I can get on it before then the better. I also plan on doing a build log on it, so keep an eye out for that.
Cool Dude!

I'm still trying to decide if I have a path to drone nationals. I really want to compete, but traveling gets expensive, so qualifying might be difficult. I am waiting for them to announce the supposed FL race.

Definitely do a build log! I'd love to see how it turns out.

Flat4

Cool Dude!

I'm still trying to decide if I have a path to drone nationals. I really want to compete, but traveling gets expensive, so qualifying might be difficult. I am waiting for them to announce the supposed FL race.

Yea I hear ya with the expense. I've been to few local events but nothing big. Just happy they finally have a big one in my neck of the woods. Even if I don't qualify, I'll still be heading up there for nationals, no real excuse this time since it's only about a 45min drive.

Alp

Awesome design dude! i love it...
But a little bit heavy for me ;) Did you try to make mid plate and baseplate from 1.5mm carbon? I think 1.5mm is enough for robustness. How much will it difference about weight and can I buy this way?
thanks...

Last edited:

mpbiv

Awesome design dude! i love it...
But a little bit heavy for me ;) Did you try to make mid plate and baseplate from 1.5mm carbon? I think 1.5mm is enough for robustness. How much will it difference about weight and can I buy this way?
thanks...
Interesting thoughts, but really it is not heavy. It's on par with the market offerings right now for lightweight race quads.

It is lighter than both Alien or QAV-R, and on par with the Shendrones Mixuko. Yes some of the other x-frames are 10-15g lighter for the frame but they all sacrifice something in the process. Many of them you cannot replace the arms, then others are not well thought out on component placement and you end up having to rig everything together which in turn adds back nearly all the weight advantage.

Motor/electronics choice really makes a big difference too. My build was under 300g without battery (like 293 on the V2 frame), but some of my testers were in the low 260g range. It could probably be built even lighter with careful component choices.

jipp

hey man you are going the same rout as me minus the kiss fc.. but hey im open to trying it.. and the 2300kv red bottoms are nice bit of kit. im very impressed at the quality of them out of the box.. where they sit for my martian build..

as you i am waiting for the silly kiss 24A race esc.. but my patients are getting the best of me. and it seems so many people are waiting for these.. when they get in stock, will i be in time?

what other ESC would you consider? i need some recommendations if i miss out on kiss 24a..

good luck on your way to national.. it would take me a few years to get any god at flying before id be brave enough to try a race. LOL..

i just like the race size quads for there durability hard to ignore that.. :D what fpv camera do you plan on using? i have a night owl here i may use since i already have it. but mounting it maybe a issue.. so maybe ill have to consider a runcam swift, or just a runcam board cam.. dunno why, but im sorta stuck on runcam.. they have a good product.

chris.

Flat4

hey man you are going the same rout as me minus the kiss fc.. but hey im open to trying it.. and the 2300kv red bottoms are nice bit of kit. im very impressed at the quality of them out of the box.. where they sit for my martian build..

as you i am waiting for the silly kiss 24A race esc.. but my patients are getting the best of me. and it seems so many people are waiting for these.. when they get in stock, will i be in time?

what other ESC would you consider? i need some recommendations if i miss out on kiss 24a..

good luck on your way to national.. it would take me a few years to get any god at flying before id be brave enough to try a race. LOL..

i just like the race size quads for there durability hard to ignore that.. :D what fpv camera do you plan on using? i have a night owl here i may use since i already have it. but mounting it maybe a issue.. so maybe ill have to consider a runcam swift, or just a runcam board cam.. dunno why, but im sorta stuck on runcam.. they have a good product.

chris.

I'm loving the kiss fc, not sure what magic Felix is using on his PID control loop, but it feels amazing. The only downsides are like everything else kiss, almost impossible to find in stock. That and I do wish he'd add a few features to the UI, but I know he is trying to keep it as bare as possible.

I'll probably go with littlebees or the new dys xm series if I can't get in on the kiss's in a reasonable time frame. The vgoodrc arm 32 escs look interesting, but their custom firmware doesn't seem quite up to the task yet.

As far as the fpv cam goes, I'm running the HS1177 on everything, great little cam that doesn't break the bank. Also mpbiv's frame is designed around that form factor. I believe the new runcam is the same hardware and size as the hs1177, not 100% positive though, haven't looked all that much into it.

jipp

I'm loving the kiss fc, not sure what magic Felix is using on his PID control loop, but it feels amazing. The only downsides are like everything else kiss, almost impossible to find in stock. That and I do wish he'd add a few features to the UI, but I know he is trying to keep it as bare as possible.

I'll probably go with littlebees or the new dys xm series if I can't get in on the kiss's in a reasonable time frame. The vgoodrc arm 32 escs look interesting, but their custom firmware doesn't seem quite up to the task yet.

As far as the fpv cam goes, I'm running the HS1177 on everything, great little cam that doesn't break the bank. Also mpbiv's frame is designed around that form factor. I believe the new runcam is the same hardware and size as the hs1177, not 100% positive though, haven't looked all that much into it.

yeah the runcam swift are in the same case. good to hear its holding up..

what size esc? and will you be running 3s, 4s? i want to build mine to take 4s when i get some but 3s 1300 for now.

20a, or 30a?

im thinking 20a would be ok but the red bottoms can pull some amps so that is why im thinking maybe 30a esc is the way to go.

i too keep going to little bee, or xm dys. as they are suppose to be the update to the SN and iv been happy with the SN iv used minus people who had the same problem as the 18a kiss they seem to like to catch fire?

well good luck on your next race.. :D

yeah the Kiss stuff is limited that is for sure. the FC is in stock on his webpage right now.. and also other places.. so it seems his ESC are more popular than his FC at this point.. this could change.. next person to win some race using one could make these rare as hens teeth. which id be ok with.. im happy so far with the fc iv been playing with and my skill level.
chris.

p.s
well i figure id pickup a kiss Fc while they were easy to get quick 47.00;minus frames, looks like we will have same hardware for our builds.. im sure i just jinks my self some how. LOL but whatever.
now im just looking for a good deal on esc. if the kiss esc come to market and i have money ill order some but i just have this gut feeling as soon as they come to market they will be gone.. and i hate the idea of wasting so much time on such a experience.. so yeah off to the interwebs to find a good deal on some good esc. :D at my skill level i wont benefit from kiss esc anyhow may as well let the guys who will be racing and need them have fun with them :D i bought the kiss fc on your opinion btw :p

Last edited:

Flat4

I'll be running 4s, still haven't decided on 20 or 30 amp, this is assuming I can't get my hands on some kisses. Thinking 20's should be fine though, don't anticipate this build being that heavy, so the motors should unload nicely in the air. Besides I don't know of a 1300 battery that is able to supply enough current to actually pull as many amps as those red-bottoms want. Yea I'd stay away from the SN series, too many horror stories of those things going up in flames, had enough of that with the kiss 18's.

I got a notification from flyduino this morning on the kiss 30amps, but they were gone by the time I got to the site. This was less than an hour after I got the notification. Hopefully the next batch of the 24's is larger than what he got of the 30's this morning. I see getpropsman.com has pre-orders available for the 24's, that should be in stock on the 28th, but at $30 a piece. A bit steep compared to the flyduino site. Not sure if I'm that desperate for em.

The big thing for me with the kiss esc's is their ease of use. BL Heli, while not that complicated, just annoys me that's it yet another thing to configure. Plus the kiss fc doesn't support bl heli passthrough, so I'll have to desolder the escs from the fc every time I need to change a setting. Performance wise, I don't think the kiss's are all that much better than the LB's or DYS's, it's just more of a convenience thing. As far as flight performance is concerned I think you'll notice more of difference going with the kiss FC than you will with the kiss esc's, but again the esc's paired with the FC will be more of a convenience thing than anything else.

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
mpbiv, what an amazing looking frame. I wish my skills were good enough to use it :)

jipp

I'll be running 4s, still haven't decided on 20 or 30 amp, this is assuming I can't get my hands on some kisses. Thinking 20's should be fine though, don't anticipate this build being that heavy, so the motors should unload nicely in the air. Besides I don't know of a 1300 battery that is able to supply enough current to actually pull as many amps as those red-bottoms want. Yea I'd stay away from the SN series, too many horror stories of those things going up in flames, had enough of that with the kiss 18's.

I got a notification from flyduino this morning on the kiss 30amps, but they were gone by the time I got to the site. This was less than an hour after I got the notification. Hopefully the next batch of the 24's is larger than what he got of the 30's this morning. I see getpropsman.com has pre-orders available for the 24's, that should be in stock on the 28th, but at $30 a piece. A bit steep compared to the flyduino site. Not sure if I'm that desperate for em.

The big thing for me with the kiss esc's is their ease of use. BL Heli, while not that complicated, just annoys me that's it yet another thing to configure. Plus the kiss fc doesn't support bl heli passthrough, so I'll have to desolder the escs from the fc every time I need to change a setting. Performance wise, I don't think the kiss's are all that much better than the LB's or DYS's, it's just more of a convenience thing. As far as flight performance is concerned I think you'll notice more of difference going with the kiss FC than you will with the kiss esc's, but again the esc's paired with the FC will be more of a convenience thing than anything else.

thanks for the feed back.. yeah 30.00 is to much for me. ill just go with some 20a. and if i run into issues i can upgrade them to 30a. but personally i do not see a issue ( not like i have a race track to really put a endurance on my parts at this point. )

chris.

Alp

Ok guys, now I'm going to buy this baby. Should i buy a few extra arms? Is this really necessary?

Twitchity

The way it's designed I doubt you'll be breaking any arms. But if you do happen to break one you'll be out a month while waiting on Armattan to cut/ship the replacement. They are cheap enough, so ordering 1-2 wouldn't be a bad idea just do to the fact of how long orders take to get to you. Order time would be the only reason I would even consider buying a spare arm for this frame.

Alp

I ask because i have tons of different spare arms at home :) I dont fly like a girl but i could not break even one :p

mpbiv

The way it's designed I doubt you'll be breaking any arms. But if you do happen to break one you'll be out a month while waiting on Armattan to cut/ship the replacement. They are cheap enough, so ordering 1-2 wouldn't be a bad idea just do to the fact of how long orders take to get to you. Order time would be the only reason I would even consider buying a spare arm for this frame.
Like Twitch says, if lead time is a concern order a couple spares. They are 4mm thick so they should be pretty durable.

I haven't broken any arms yet......but some people are way rougher on their equipment than I am.

jipp

i think 4mm is a good compromise for durability and weight. iv not broken my 4mm arms on my zmr yet but i do lfy like a girl here since room is small. :D

chris.

jipp

hey man have you seen these yet? interesting idea by removing weight by going with a hollow shaft instead a solid shaft.
they are the DYS fps special edition race edition.. heh. i guess they want to compete with emax red bottoms? damn this hobby is moving faster than i can keep up.
https://www.ggracers.com/product/dys-xm20a-se-2205-2300kv-race-combo-4-escs-4-motors/

https://www.ggracers.com/product/dys-se-2205-race-motors-2300kv-2cw-2ccw-4-motors/
ill wait for real race results and opinions instead of a sales pitch.. but it is interesting how these company's are trying to out do each other :D reminds me of the muscle car wars of the 60s :D

New “King of Thrust” DYS SE 2205 series motors are made with the same n52 strength magnet found in the “Red-Bottom”. Making the performance the same, or slightly better than the old king of the thrust stand. This is the most powerful 2205 2300kv series motor to date! The DYS SE 2205 utilizes a hollow 5mm shaft that tapers to 4mm on the bottom. This results in higher strength properties, and a large bearing capable of higher loads and stress. The set screw in the bottom of the shaft eliminates the vertical play common on most motors. The Open top of the motor lets air in at speed. Combined with the larger gauge wires, it is able to stay cool, and deliver some unprecedented power on the 5×4.5×3 props and 4s with our GGracer frame. 5s capable! We will add the 5s LiHV packs to the site next week as well.
dys-se-closup.jpg

Last edited: