SCX-200 Race Quad Build Log

Flat4

hey man have you seen these yet? interesting idea by removing weight by going with a hollow shaft instead a solid shaft.
they are the DYS fps special edition race edition.. heh. i guess they want to compete with emax red bottoms? damn this hobby is moving faster than i can keep up.
https://www.ggracers.com/product/dys-xm20a-se-2205-2300kv-race-combo-4-escs-4-motors/

https://www.ggracers.com/product/dys-se-2205-race-motors-2300kv-2cw-2ccw-4-motors/
ill wait for real race results and opinions instead of a sales pitch.. but it is interesting how these company's are trying to out do each other :D reminds me of the muscle car wars of the 60s :D

New “King of Thrust” DYS SE 2205 series motors are made with the same n52 strength magnet found in the “Red-Bottom”. Making the performance the same, or slightly better than the old king of the thrust stand. This is the most powerful 2205 2300kv series motor to date! The DYS SE 2205 utilizes a hollow 5mm shaft that tapers to 4mm on the bottom. This results in higher strength properties, and a large bearing capable of higher loads and stress. The set screw in the bottom of the shaft eliminates the vertical play common on most motors. The Open top of the motor lets air in at speed. Combined with the larger gauge wires, it is able to stay cool, and deliver some unprecedented power on the 5×4.5×3 props and 4s with our GGracer frame. 5s capable! We will add the 5s LiHV packs to the site next week as well.
View attachment 68297

Yea I was checking them out a couple weeks back. They only seem to slightly edge out the red bottoms, and agaim I don't think there's a 1300mah pack out there that will be able to deliver the amps those or the red bottoms are asking. Not sure if they offer the cooling features of the emax's either. Another solid contender though.

The biggest selling point to me on them is they got rid of the c-clip to hold the bell on and went with a screw that threads into their hollow shaft. Not sure how much weight that shaft really saves, but i love the idea of ditching the c-clips.

I've seen a few other motors coming out, or just recently released that also compete with the dys and emax's. If I wasn't on my phone and about to hop on a plane I'd link em for ya. I'll try and remember when I get back home.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
The biggest selling point to me on them is they got rid of the c-clip to hold the bell on and went with a screw that threads into their hollow shaft. Not sure how much weight that shaft really saves, but i love the idea of ditching the c-clips.

Dear merciful heavens, yes! :)

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
Mpbiv, do you think an Epiquad Epipdb would work on the SCX-200?

https://quadcoptersenzo.nl/en/epiquad_epipdb

It's a bit large at 63x46, but the direct pinheaders to the FC seems super sweet. I also like the idea of being able to power the RX from the miniUSB so you don't have to worry about flight batteries when setting up modes and aux channels.

mpbiv

Mpbiv, do you think an Epiquad Epipdb would work on the SCX-200?

https://quadcoptersenzo.nl/en/epiquad_epipdb

It's a bit large at 63x46, but the direct pinheaders to the FC seems super sweet. I also like the idea of being able to power the RX from the miniUSB so you don't have to worry about flight batteries when setting up modes and aux channels.

Thats a really cool PDB, but I am almost certain it won't fit. I could pull up the models and check, but I am 99% sure.

Some of the newer FC boards will already power your receiver via USB. I know on both my builds, I am using the Lumenier Lux F3 FCs along with some FrSky TFR4SB receivers (on SBUS), and when I connect the USB my receiver also powers up and I can set all the modes and check all the channels are operating correctly in the cleanflight receiver tab.

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
Any thoughts on adding a camera side plate option for the runcam swift with the angle adjustment screw?

accessories-04.jpg

Darkback2

For a while I had a hard time getting into these tiny body longer arm quads...The other day I realized there is essentially no difference between building something like a 150 and something like this only here you have the power top end of a much larger quad with the body of something miniscule! Now that I have had that realization, these things look incredible to me. A part of me wishes I had realized this before building my martian, another part of me is OK because I don't need to actually have 1 of everything. Awesome frame!

DB

mpbiv

Any thoughts on adding a camera side plate option for the runcam swift with the angle adjustment screw?

accessories-04.jpg

I don't have access to a RunCam Swift at the moment, but to be thoroughly honest, space is at such a high premium, I don't expect the mounting tabs on the Swift would clear the PDB/FC stack.

I did re-design the camera mount to shift the cam forward after some of my testers were noting that HS1177 cameras with the connector on top were having clearance issues at full tilt. In my own builds, I hadn't even noticed that issue because I had been using cameras with the connector on the bottom.

IMG_1654.JPG

IMG_1655.JPG

With the new mount, the camera is about as far forward as it can go and still clear the props. The 200mm layout is one of the limiting factors in this space constraint.

Camera mounting is one thing that could definitely use some more refinement. It works as is, but it would be better if I could fix it more rigidly to prevent tilt changes. One of the things I am working on already is an optional printed camera mount which will have a fixed angle. I already made one pass at that but I need to make a few tweaks to make the camera fit properly. Then I am going to have a couple of those printed out of TPU.

jipp

the kiss 24a esc sold out in minutes of getting the email. laughs

i ended up going with little bear pro v2 20a esc.

chris.

jipp

nope, but almost bought them over the little bees.. the little bees had a 5 percent off coupon.. the xm did not.. so i went save a penny rout. he. from what i get these are just improved sn20A with 99 percent less chance of fire...a updated chip set, etc.. they should be a good esc too.

chris,

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
the kiss 24a esc sold out in minutes of getting the email. laughs

Ha yup. Luckily I was able to snag some within seconds of them hitting the store. I checked back three hours later and they were sold out again. Should be more stock Saturday they say though.

jipp

this sat? i was disappointed my email was in german so i was like uh. heh. but i knew what it was about.
how much did it cost for 4 ESC shipped if you do not mind me asking ( i do have a kiss FC, that to sold out fast. ill probably just shelf the kiss FC until i can get the kiss esc and the frame that holds esc/fc in a neat little package heh.) im gonna pass this time around on the kiss ESC, when they are available on the market in abundance with out people charging more than they should. price gouging blah. im sure the guys at kiss enjoy there product sells out so fast. but the people who buy a bunch then over charge is bs. sorta like what happen with cobra motors i guess. at least now you can get cobra motors easy if you want them. the little bees pro v2 seem to be up for the challenge.
i give props to emax for being able to supply enough for the demand for red bottom motors. they are in demand and easy to get. i paid 71.00 for a set of 4. so i dunno, i think tomorrow i will work on a 175mm rcx as i stil need to get the FPV stuff for the martian build.

chris.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Four ESCs was $100 with registered shipping. Most stores here in the US mark them up to $30 a piece. Surprisingly I found Rotor Riot has the best deal on them at $26.50 a piece. Not sure what shipping is though.

jipp

Four ESCs was $100 with registered shipping. Most stores here in the US mark them up to $30 a piece. Surprisingly I found Rotor Riot has the best deal on them at $26.50 a piece. Not sure what shipping is though.

thanks, its tempting they do have 349 in stock. i just wish sold the ESC wires/jr style as i do not have the stuff i guess some companies did put in large orders as ya=d

chris.

Flat4

Dude that's awesome, you're frame totally deserves the attention it's getting.

Side note, just got my email this morning that the v2 upgrade kit has shipped. I have all the electronics, so I'll probably start the soldering everything up using the v1 kit as reference. Outside of the placement of the camera supports moving forward, the overall dimensions haven't changed much from the v1 to the v2 right? Don't want to do something stupid like wire anything up too short when the it's time to transplant it to the v2 plates.