• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Pumpkin drop event

Seen the New E-flite V-22® Osprey?

Like It?

• Total voters

CarolineTyler

Yes, the rotors are too small, and the cheater fan is a shame but it does look cool and at least you won't accidentally break your rotas by switching to forward flight on the ground

FastCrash45

I like it because it's different. That being said I don't like the cheater fan and I'd really want to check out how well it changes from vertical to forward flight. Since the rotors are so small I see problems with it losing altitude quickly when changing from up to forward.

I saw the photos online and I don't like the looks of it. The rotor blades are too small and they're using a 3rd cheater motor for stability. I'd love to get my hands on an Osprey from http://www.rotormast.com/en/, but they are crazy expensive.
I was thinking the same thing. Even just a clear canopy would have improved the looks. I actually am planning on buying the rotormast model later this year. I've been staring at that model since I was a kid, and I think its probably time to bite the bullet and get around to it. Plus, the builder is another local Bell employee, so I can bug him if I have any issues.

kilroy07

:unsure:
Not sure the cool factor cancels out the price tag. Might have considered it at 1/2 to 2/3rds the cost.

It looks “okay” (better in the air than on ground...)

I have seen some variable pitch prop setups but they seem setup for lighter indoor flying. Most of the diy transformers use a third prop/fan... I think you would need variable pitch (or some really tuned in motors!) I have seen some bi-coptors co I know the software/hardware is there (or darn close.)...

Maybe we should challenge FT to build a “true” transition aircraft...

kilroy07

So this happened yesterday...
Our local hobby shop is closing down (I think they overextended themselves...)
But as sad as that is (and it is sad...) I found this.
IMG_9322[1].JPG NTQY4508[1].JPG

A pair of replacement wings to fix a bad glue job and I've got myself an Osprey!!!
(I wouldn't have paid $220 for it, but I'll sure as heck pay $60!!)

L Edge

:unsure:
Not sure the cool factor cancels out the price tag. Might have considered it at 1/2 to 2/3rds the cost.

It looks “okay” (better in the air than on ground...)

I have seen some variable pitch prop setups but they seem setup for lighter indoor flying. Most of the diy transformers use a third prop/fan... I think you would need variable pitch (or some really tuned in motors!) I have seen some bi-coptors co I know the software/hardware is there (or darn close.)...

Maybe we should challenge FT to build a “true” transition aircraft...
Unless your familiar with the hardware/software it would be impossible. The reason for the fan is to "help" pitch problems in hover as well as in the transition in/out of forward flight. It's even harder with a bi setup rather than tri. I found that out the hard way. The X-Vert is a Horizon's attempt to get a bicopter going.

L Edge

I’ve got one of those too! 🤣

The Osprey is encouraging because it has separate escs (tuning might still be an issue, but if this one dies... I might try to scale it up a bit.)
Figured out how to beat the wind in vertical condition. Being a windsurfer, used the tack method of getting the X Vert upwind of you. You start off going about 60 degrees from the wind and move forward off to right(wing). Tack for a distance and quickly rotate the X-vert so it is now 60 degrees off the wind(left wing) and go across to the left. Repeat and it will move forward.

To land, tack (let it move back) until your real close. Quickly rotate X-Vert so it is parallel to wind and set it down. Practice make perfect and you can land it in front of you. Just like sailing. You need to be good with the rudder/throttle in order do it.

You need a control board with gyro/acc to handle hovering. Engine RPM too sensitive without FC board. Doing a bi-copter.

Last edited: