Servo recommendation- Amazon

navillus5

Can anyone recommend a “good” metal gear servo that can be purchased on Amazon.
I might just go with the FliteTest FT 17g, but I am really curious as to which (if any) Amazon servos are worth taking the chance of installing in my newly assembled Eclipson Model C.
9425E605-FC20-4778-AC21-988432A2089B.jpeg

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Myself, I use cheap plastic gear servos. Metal gear servos wear out to quickly. After a bit of use, they develop a lot of backlash, especially if you are using stabilization.

navillus5

Myself, I use cheap plastic gear servos. Metal gear servos wear out to quickly. After a bit of use, they develop a lot of backlash, especially if you are using stabilization.

Thanks for the reply. I’ve used the cheap servos in the past, and I always find it a bit of a hit and miss process. Some work fine and others have defects.
I just want to use a servo that won’t fail on me a a critical moment.

Andy.T.

What is servo backlash and why are metal gear servos more prone to it?

Andy.T.

I suppose backlash is probably just from the play between the gears as they mesh. But still interesting why that would be worse, or get worse, with metal gears. I thought the whole advantage with metal was that the teeth were less likely to wear, creating more slop. Also thought they provided better protection from stripping out. Is this wrong? Sorry for all the questions :)

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
You are correct, backlach is the slop as the gears wear. It's been my experience mg servos wear out very fast when they are used with any kind of stabilization. The stabilization is constantly making corrections that will wear out the gears in one particular spot. Ive had them wear out in a month. I keep a handful of mg for HIGH stress applications.

For most applications, I have had much better luck with the cheapest plastic gear servo I can find, the ones that are about $1 each. With the cheap ones, I will occasionally get a bad servo. I pitch it & grab another from the bag full that I bought, for the price of just 1 of name brand servos.

Shurik-1960